65th Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 65.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|65th Mixed Brigade|
|Active||December 1936-March 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Hilario Fernandez Recio|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 65th Mixed Brigade was a unit of the Popular Army of the Republic that participated in the Spanish Civil War . Composed of troops from the Carabineros Corps , it had an outstanding performance during the Battle of Guadalajara .
The unit was created in December 1936 in Orihuela , from members of the Carabineros Corps . [ 1 ] Its first commander was the infantry commander Germán Madroñero López , replaced by the police commander Emeterio Jarillo Orgaz once the training phase was over. [ 2 ] In mid-January 1937 it was located in Villatobas for its participation in a planned offensive on Brunete, although this did not take place and it remained in the rear in a reserve situation.
On March 15, she was sent to the Guadalajara front , being assigned to the 14th Division of the IV Army Corps . [ 3 ] Command of the unit passed to the Carabinieri Commander Hilario Fernández Recio . On March 18, the 1st Battalion of the 65th BM occupied the «Parideras» vertex, while the 4th established a bridgehead over the Tajuña River and the 3rd assaulted participated in the assault on Brihuega . [ 3 ] The following day the 2nd Battalion of the 65th BM reached the elevations that dominate Villaviciosa, and on the 20th it occupied the Yela population . After the end of the fighting, the brigade remained located in front of Guadalajara.
In June 1937 the 65th BM occupied various positions in its sector, such as "La Mesilla", "Casa del Guarda", "Fuente de Santa Clara" and "Cabeza de Carro". On July 8 he moved to the Brunete sector to intervene in the republican offensive . Later he would return to the front of Guadalajara. In November 1938 the 65th WB was assigned to the 33rd Division . [ 4 ] In March 1939, during the Casado coup , he positioned himself in favor of the "casadista" faction.
- Infantry Commander Germán Madroñero López ;
- Carabineros Commander Emeterio Jarillo Orgaz ;
- Carabineros Commander Hilario Fernández Recio ;
- Carabineros Commander Ignacio Grau Altés ;
- Commander of the Carabineros Antonio Martínez Rabadán ;
- Carabineros Commander Francisco Ortuño Gutiérrez ;
- Alpert , Michael (1989). The Republican Army in the Civil War . Madrid: XXI century of Spain. ISBN 978-84-3230-682-2 .
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (2000). History of the People's Army of the Republic . The Sphere of Books. ISBN 84-9734-465-0 .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.