Prussian 551/552 Altona to 669/670 Altona - Preußischer 551/552 Altona bis 669/670 Altona
|Prussian 2100 / 2101–2368 / 2369 / Prussian 551 / 552–669 / 670 Altona|
|numbering||from 1910 551 / 552–651 / 652 Altona||from 1910 653 / 654–663 / 664 Altona||from 1910 665 / 666–669 / 670 Altona|
mech .: LHW , Van der Zypen & Charlier |
el .: AEG
mech .: LHW , Van der Zypen & Charlier |
el .: SSW
mech .: LHW , Van der Zypen & Charlier |
el .: AEG
|Years of construction||1905–1907||1907||1907|
|modification||1932 Umbau in elT 1501 a/b – 1560 a/b|
|Axis formula||Bo'1 + 1 (1A)||Bo'1 + 1 2 '||Bo'1 + 1 (1A)|
|Power system||6 kV ~ 25 Hz|
|Driving wheel diameter||1.000 mm|
|Impeller diameter||1.000 mm|
|Top speed||50 km / h|
|Length over buffers||29.650 mm||29.550 mm|
|Center distance of the chassis||2.500 mm|
|Service mass||70,25 t||70,27 t||70,22 t|
|largest axle load||15,5 t|
|Brakes||Westinghouse air brake|
|Installed capacity||255 kW||264 kW||255 kW|
|Traction motor type||Winter Eichberg||Series motor||Winter Eichberg|
|Motoraufhängung||Paw bearing construction|
|Number of drive motors||3||2||3|
|Classes||2. / 3.|
After trials on the Schöneweide – Spindlersfeld branch line and the Oranienburg test line, 60 units were procured as one of the first series vehicles for operation with single-phase alternating current . These 60 vehicles were reconstructed in 1925 and remained in service in this form until 1952 with the Deutsche Reichsbahn and the Deutsche Bundesbahn . The designation of the converted vehicles changed from 1501 a / b to 1560 a / b . No copy has survived.
For operation on today 's Hamburg S-Bahn , which was initially intended as a trial operation for the development of new electrical long-distance rail networks,  initially 60 vehicles were ordered by the Prussian State Railways in 1905 . The units should consist of two closely coupled three-axle cars. The unit was called a quarter train. The trains should run as scheduled with two to four quarter trains.  The first train with the designation 2100/2101 was completed in the same year and on the Oranienburger test track extensively tested to 1907th 
The vehicles were delivered with two different drive engines. The quarter trains 2100/2101 to 2198/2199 and 2350/2351 to 2356/2357 were equipped with the Winter-Eichberg engine . The quarter trains 2358/2359 to 2368/2369 were equipped with the series motor .  In the development, the executing companies were given a free hand, only the joint operation with multiple control should be guaranteed. This led to quarter trains with electrical equipment from AEG consisting of two multiple units, quarter trains with electrical equipment from Siemens-Schuckertwerkeconsisted of a railcar and a control car. In the ET + ET quarter trains, the railcar with the electrical equipment and pantographs had two drive axles, the other only one.
From October 1, 1907, the trains were used as planned on the Hamburg-Altona urban and suburban railway. The journey time on the Hamburg-Blankenese - Hamburg-Ohlsdorf section was reduced from 66 minutes to 52 minutes during the steam locomotive. There were initially problems with the vehicles, which led to numerous breakdowns. Defects in the power supply were responsible for the temporary shutdown of electrical operations. One shortcoming in the vehicles was insufficient insulation on the transformersand the traction motors, which led to excessive heating of the components. Mechanical defects were too weakly dimensioned bearings on the bogies, the short couplings were too weakly dimensioned, when cornering, the initially straight sleeve buffers led to heavy loads on the buffer beam with bending. 
Overall, the vehicles have proven themselves in overall operation. They were designed for a service life of seven to eight years,  in practice they were in use in the original version until 1925. From 1910 they were given the new designations ET 551/552 Altona to ET 669/670 Altona . All 60 delivered railcars were provided with reinforced electrical equipment and were given the new designations 1501 a / b to 1560 a / b with the following technical data: 
|elT 1501 a / b to 1560 a / b|
|Numbering:||DR: elT 1501 a/b – 1560 a/b |
(DB: ET 99 061a/b – ET 99 070a/b)
|Manufacturer:||Main workshop of the Hamburg-Altona urban and suburban railway|
|Year of construction (s):||1925|
|Axis formula :||Bo '1 + 1 2'|
|Genre :||BCPw3 / BC3|
|Gauge :||1435 mm (Normalspur)|
|Length over buffers:||29.650 mm|
|Bogie axle base:||2.500 mm|
|Service mass:||71.100 kg|
|Wheel set mass :||16.300 kg|
|Top speed:||60 km / h|
|Hourly output :||300 kW|
|Continuous output :||235 kW|
|Starting tractive effort:||67 kN|
|Driving wheel diameter:||1000 mm|
|Impeller diameter:||1000 mm|
|Power system :||6 kV ~ 25 Hz|
|Power transmission:||Overhead line|
|Number of traction motors:||2|
|Brake:||Westinghouse air brake|
After the conversion, the vehicles were only two-engined. The main work concerned upgrading the electrical equipment. New traction motors with a different gear ratio were installed. As a high-voltage switch, the oil switch was replaced by a high-voltage fuse. The controls have also been changed.
The wooden car bodies were refurbished. In 1928/1929 the pulling and buffing equipment was exchanged. Instead of the previous screw coupling , the vehicles were given a Scharfenberg coupling . In this configuration they were used by the Deutsche Bundesbahn. The last vehicles were retired in 1952. 
The type of car corresponded to the passenger cars customary at the time with skylight structures and compartment doors. The main frame consisted of riveted steel beams. The car body, which consisted of a wooden frame planked with sheet metal, was riveted to it. The vehicle was equipped with a bogie and a club steering axle . The suspension between the chassis and the car body was realized with leaf and coil springs. The air compressor was housed in the bogie, in which only one axle was driven, and in the other vehicle types in the running axle bogie . The single brake acted on all wheels in the bogie. The steering axles were unbraked.
The passenger compartments were kept simple. At the front of both cars was the driver's cab on the left-hand side in the direction of travel, which could be locked occasionally. The high-voltage chamber was located in the driver's cab of the car with the pantographs. Although the cars were designed as compartment cars, they also had a side aisle and a luggage compartment inside. There was no abortion. The lighting was electric, as was the heating. This was controlled by resistors that could only work when the drive motors were de-energized.
These vehicles were equipped differently depending on the executing company, the compatible control of the vehicles was uniform. It is known about the AEG wagons that they had hoop pantographs, similar to the lyre pantographs, which could be operated with compressed air.  The high-voltage chamber housed two bracket disconnectors , the lightning protection, the earthing device, the high-voltage fuse and an oil switch. The transformer was oil-cooled and hung under the car body floor. There were taps for the traction motors with 450 V and 700 V as well as for the auxiliaries with 300 V. The low-voltage side enabled the car to be operated with 300 V when driving in theDepot .
The control of the vehicle during operation was implemented with an electromagnetic contactor control. Initially, the car had only four, later six speed levels. They had additional transformers for the excitation to control the Winter-Eichberg traction motors . An excitation transformer fed the rotors of the traction motors, the stator received its voltage, which was adjustable in two stages. The traction motors were four-pole DC machinesexecuted and self-ventilated. The inner bearings were oil-cooled and received the oil through an oil pump. Originally, only the air compressor of the leading car was responsible for supplying the air brake with air. Later all the air compressors worked depending on the leading car. The pantographs could be controlled depending on the reversing switch. For the compressed air control, the cars had a continuous main air tank line. All cables were routed in special channels.
The cars with the electrical equipment of the Siemens-Schuckertwerke had pantographs . Their traction motors were experimentally designed as series motors . They had resistor connectors built into the grooves of the anchor . The performance of the motors could be increased by a retrofitted external ventilation. The control was able to adapt the tractive forces to the individual speed levels well.
The following accelerations were determined during measurement runs:
- when traveling from a stand up to 30 km / h 0.43 m / s²
- when traveling from a standing position up to 45 km / h 0.3 m / s². 
- Rainer Zschech: Railcar archive. Steam railcars, electric railcars, accumulator railcars, combustion railcars d. German Reichsbahn u. some other railways. 2nd Edition. Transpress Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin 1970, .
- Brian Rampp: Berlin city, ring and suburban railways. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10: Electric locomotives and electric multiple units. (= Eisenbahn-Journal Archiv. 1/97). Merker, Fürstenfeldbruck 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X .
- Rainer Zschech: Railcar archive. Transpress Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin 1970, p. 140.
- Brian Rampp: The Hamburg urban and suburban railways. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10, 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X , p. 14.
- Brian Rampp: The Hamburg urban and suburban railways. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10, 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X , p. 16.
- Brian Rampp: The Hamburg urban and suburban railways. In: Prussia Report. Volume 10, 1997, ISBN 3-89610-005-X , p. 17.
- Rainer Zschech: Railcar archive. Transpress Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin 1970, p. 141.
- Rainer Zschech: Railcar archive. Transpress Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin 1970, p. 338.
- Rainer Zschech: Railcar archive. Transpress Verlagsgesellschaft, Berlin 1970, p. 143.