67th Division (People's Army of the Republic) - 67.ª División (Ejército Popular de la República)
|Active||August 1937-March 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 67th Division was a unit of the People's Army of the Republic that existed during the Spanish Civil War , created on the basis of mixed brigades . It came to be deployed on the fronts of Teruel, Extremadura and Levante.
The unit was created at the end of August 1937, in the province of Ciudad Real , made up of recruits from the fifths of 1930, 1937 and 1938. The command fell to the infantry commander Fulgencio González Gómez . [ n. 1 ] The new 67th Division, which was made up of the 215th , 216th and 217th mixed brigades , would be integrated into the XX Army Corps . [ 2 ] [ 3 ] The training and instruction of the new unit lasted until the end of 1937, being located in the general reserve.
At the beginning of 1938 it was sent to the Teruel front, [ 4 ] as reinforcement of the units that were already fighting there . Upon his arrival, he replaced the badly broken 68th Division . [ 5 ] During the subsequent Battle of Alfambra, the unit withstood the bulk of the enemy attack, leaving the fighting very broken. [ n. 2 ]
It would be sent to the Extremadura front, where it replaced the 45th International Division as a reserve force for the Extremadura Army . [ 7 ] In April two of its brigades, the 216th and 217th, intervened in a small republican offensive in the Talavera de la Reina sector . [ 8 ] Until July the unit remained in Extremadura, when it would be replaced by the 68th Division . [ 7 ] She was sent as reinforcement to the Levante front, where she would be added to the XXII Army Corps. Upon arrival, however, the fighting had decreased significantly. During the rest of the war he remained on this front, without taking part in relevant military operations.
- Chiefs of Staff
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|November 1937||XX Army Corps||215.ª , 216.ª y 217.ª||General reserve|
|April 1938||VIII Army Corps||215.ª, 216.ª y 217.ª||Estremadura|
|August 1938||XXII Army Corps||16.ª , 215.ª y 217.ª||Levante|
- Alpert, 1989, pp. 348, 369.
- Alpert, 1989, p. 348.
- Bermúdez, 1992, pp. 149-150.
- Maldonado, 2007, p. 270.
- Casas de la Vega, 1973 , p. 200.
- Casas de la Vega, 1976 , p. 362.
- Moreno Gómez, 1985, p. 616.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 175.
- Engel, 1999, p. 188.
- Bermúdez, 1992 , p. 149.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 303.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 181.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 189.
- Alpert , Michael (1989). The republican army in the civil war . Siglo XXI Editores.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Bermúdez , Antonio (1992). Republic and civil war: Manzanares (1931-1939) . Provincial Council of Ciudad Real.
- Casas de la Vega , Rafael (1973). Teruel . Barcelona: L. de Caralt.
- —— (1976). Alfambra. The reconquest of Teruel . L. de Caralt.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Moreno Gómez , Francisco (1985). The Civil War in Córdoba (1936-1939) . Córdoba: Alpuerto.