SBB Ae 3/6 III - SBB Ae 3/6 III

SBB Ae 3/6 III
SBB Ae 3/6 III
SBB Ae 3/6 III
Numbering: 10261–10271
Number: 11
Manufacturer: SLM Winterthur, SAAS Geneva
Year of construction (s): 1925 and 1926
Ausmusterung: 1970–1980
Axis formula : 2'Co1'
Length over buffers: 13'760 mm
Height: 3780 mm
Service mass: 89 t
Top speed: 90 km / h
Hourly output : 1'365 kW (1'800 PS )
Continuous output : 1'200 kW (1'560 PS)
Starting tractive effort: 137 kN
Number of traction motors: 6, 3 twin motors
Drive: Westinghouse-Federantrieb

The SBB Ae 3/6 III is a standard gauge , single- frame , universal locomotive with a single-axle drive for alternating current of 15,000 volts 16 23 Hertz. It was used in 1925 and 1926 for the then newly electrified railway lines of the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) in the lowlands [1]ordered and put into operation in brown color. Most of the 11 machines delivered were in use until the 1970s, most recently in green. The Ae 3/6 III are basically identical replicas of the previously built Ae 3/5. As a result of a problematic driving behavior of the previously manufactured Ae 3/5 locomotive with the 1'Co1 'wheel arrangement at high speeds, the production of this locomotive was stopped after several construction lots and a further construction lot analogous to the Ae 3/6 I and Ae 3/6 II with the Axle arrangement 2'Co1 'ordered. The single-frame Ae 3/5 applies together with the bogie locomotives Be 4/7 built from 1921 and the single-frame Ae 3/6 III built from 1925, all with the Westinghouse spring drive, as a model of the bogie locomotives Be 6/8 , the later Ae 6/8, which were delivered to the Berner Alpenbahn-Gesellschaft Bern-Lötschberg-Simplon (BLS) from 1926 , which at that time were the most powerful electric locomotives of the World was true.

prehistory

At the beginning of the electrification of the SBB in 1920 , locomotives were put out to tender, which were required to have three driving axles , an output of around 2000 hp and a top speed of 90 km / h. Three Swiss electrical companies each responded with their own design, the mechanical part of which always came from the Swiss Locomotive and Machine Factory (SLM): Brown, Boveri & Cie (BBC) with the Ae 3/6 I , and the Oerlikon machine factory (MFO) as well the Ae 3/6 II and the Société Anonyme des Ateliers de Sécheron (SAAS) with the Ae 3/5 .

Although the Ae 3/5 was built in four batches from 1922 to 1925, it did not have good cornering, which was due to the fact that the locomotive was extremely short. To remedy this, two weeks after the last Ae 3/5 an extended version was delivered on a trial basis, which - like the BBC and MFO machines - had a running bogie and was named Ae 3/6 III . Instead of re-ordering further Ae 3/5, another ten Ae 3/6 III were procured.

construction

The locomotive largely corresponds to the Ae 3/5 express locomotives previously delivered . The mechanical part comes from the Schweizerische Lokomotiv- und Maschinenfabrik (SLM) in Winterthur , the electrical equipment from SAAS.

mechanical construction

The power is transmitted via a Westinghouse spring drive , similar to the Ae 3/5 . In contrast to the previous locomotive, the Ae 3/6 III only has one Bissel axle at one end of the locomotive, with a running bogie on the other side. It was hoped that this elongated construction would provide better guidance in the tracks.

Electric Construction

The series also corresponds electrically to the Ae 3/5; it has a main oil switch , the transformer is located in the middle of the locomotive. The voltage of the traction motors is controlled via electropneumatic individual switches ( hops ).

The machines were neither equipped with multiple controls nor with electric brakes .

Operational use

Discarding

The 10261 was the first locomotive to be scrapped in November 1968 after an accident. Between 1970 and 1972 a further locomotive was scrapped, three followed in 1976, as well as one each in 1977 and 1979. The last engine was scrapped in 1980 .

Locomotive 10264 has been preserved in the Lausanne depot as an operational historic vehicle in brown paintwork and belongs to the SBB Historic Heritage Foundation .

In the 1960s and 1970s, these locomotives - together with the "small Sécherons" - mainly provided regional train services in western Switzerland. At that time they were assigned to the Bern depot.

See also

Weblinks

Individual evidence

  1. Where is the plain? , a radio broadcast by Swiss Radio and Television (SRF) from Sunday, March 4, 2012, 9:15 a.m., accessed on December 12, 2019