6th Polish Airborne Division - 6. Polnische Luftlandedivision
The 6th Polish Airborne Division / 6th Pomeranian Airborne Division (6 DPD), ( Polish 6 Pomorska Dywizja Powietrznodesantowa), was a large airborne unit of the Polish People's Army within the Warsaw Pact Army from 1957 to 1986 . The soldiers of this division were also called "red berets" (Polish: "Czerwone berety" ) because of their burgundy headgear . Characteristic for the association was a different camouflage pattern of their field uniform and the permission to wear rolled up sleeves outside of the accommodation areas.
In the context of a possible military conflict between the Warsaw Pact and NATO there were plans for the Polish People's Army to carry out an attack (Operacjia Jutlandii - Jutland operational direction) on the North German lowlands of West Germany and Denmark in order to occupy the Baltic Corridor and to obtain full freedom of action for to win the Baltic fleet . For this purpose an attack group of the 1st Strategic Squadron  was after a short warning time  from the 7 ŁDD(7 Łużycka Dywizja Desantowa) and the 6 PDPD for triphibian operations (land, sea and air) intended for combat use. This included possible airborne operations on the Danish peninsula of Zealand on day 6 of the attack  .
The 6th Polish Airborne Division was formed on June 15, 1957 (under administrative no. 0048) and on June 26, 1957 (under administrative no. 00400) on the orders of the commander of the Warsaw Military District from the regular personnel of the 6th Pomeranian Infantry Division (6th Dywizja Piechoty). It originally consisted of 2,013 soldiers and 36 contract employees. The armament included 111 light and 35 heavy machine guns. In addition, 14 large-caliber machine guns, 117 anti-tank weapons, 45 recoilless cannons and 45 mortars. The commander of the Warsaw Military District, Brigadier General Józef Kuropieska, intended to create a new type of division in the Polish Army. The first commander was Brigadier General Bolesław Chocha, who held this position from 1957 to 1960 . The wealth of experience of former SBS paratroopers was used for training. One innovation was the use of a different camouflage pattern.
In peacetime the 6th DPD was subordinate to the command of the Warsaw military district. If war broke out, it would be placed under the command of the Polish front  .
The 19th independent reconnaissance battalion was renamed to the 6th DPD on October 20, 1959 and in 1961 to the 18th airborne battalion. This unit was stationed at the Bielsko garrison. In 1964 the 6th Security and Repair Battalion and two years later the 35th self-propelled artillery division. In December 1967, the 33rd Reserve Airborne Battalion and the 6th Air Defense Division Artillery Division. On December 12, 1981 , the 6th DPD was ordered to open the Palace for Culture and Science, the Polish radio and television center at Ul. Occupy Woronicza and Okęcie Airport . Then it happened on December 13th 1981 early in the morning to a landing at Okęcie airport.
In 1986 the target number of the 6th DPD was reduced and renamed the 6th Pomeranian Airborne Brigade, which in turn was converted into the 6th Landing and Assault Brigade in 1992 , and finally on July 1, 2010 again into the 6th Airborne Brigade “Brig. Gene. Stanisław Sosabowski ”was renamed.
- Staff 6 PDPD, Krakow
- 6. Luftlandebataillon (6th Airborne Battalion), Niepołomice
- 10. Luftlandebataillon (10th Airborne Battalion), Oświęcim
- 16. Kołobrzesker Luftlandebataillon (16th Kołobrzeski Airborne Battalion), Krakau
- 18. Kołobrzesker Luftlandebataillon (18th Kołobrzeski Airborne Battalion), Bielsko-Biała
- 9. Schul-Luftlandebataillon (9th Airborne School Battalion), Niepołomice
- 33. Reserve-Luftlandebataillon (33rd Airborne Battalion), Niepołomice, 1976 aufgelöst
- 6th Security and Repair Battalion (6th Batalion Zabezpieczenia i Remontu), Cracow
- 5th Divisional Artillery Department (5. Dywizjon Artylerii), Krakow
- 5th Mixed Division Artillery Department (5. Dywizjon Artylerii Mieszanej), Krakow
- 6. Flugabwehr-Divisionsartillerie-Abteilung (6th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Squadron), Krakau
- 35. Self-propelled artillery division  (35. Dywizjon Artylerii Samobieżnej), Cracow, dissolved in 1976
- 6. Fernmeldekompanie (6th Communication Company), Krakau
- 11. Pionierkompanie (11th Sapper Company), Krakau
- 15. Sanitätskompanie (15th Medical Company), Krakau
- 22. Chemische Kompanie  (22. Chemical Company), Krakau
- 24th security company (24th Kompania Zabezpieczenia Zrzutowisk) to secure the landing sites
- 39. Verkehrsschutzkompanie (39 Company of Traffic Service and Regulation), Krakau
- 48. Aufklärungskompanie (48th Reconnaissance Company), Krakau
- 8th Sicherungsbataillon (8th Security Battalion)
- Brigadegeneral Bolesław Chocha 1957 - Juli 1960
- Oberst Józef Mroczko after Juli 1960 - 1961
- Oberst Ryszard Banach 1961 - 1963
- Oberst Kazimierz Makarewicz 1963
- Colonel / Brigadier General Edwin Rozłubirski August 1963 - March 1968
- Oberst Musiał after März - August 1968
- Divisionsgeneral Edward Dysko August 1968 – 1972
- Oberst Florian Bogacki p.o. 1972 – 1973
- Brigadegeneral Marian Zdrzałka 1973 - 1983
- Oberst January Komański 1983 – 1986
- Hubert Marcin Królikowski: 6th Pomeranian Airborne Division . Ajax Verlag. ISBN 978-838710319-4 .
- Oliver Bange: Security and State: The Alliance and Military Policy of the GDR in an International Context 1969 to 1990. Ch. Links Verlag. 2017. p. 307. ISBN 978-3861-53934-6 .
- The share of the NSWP armed forces in the event of an attack with a brief warning or a preceding 10-day mobilization in Frank Umbach: The red alliance: Development and disintegration of the Warsaw Pact 1955 to 1991. Ch. Links Verlag. 2005. p. 261. ISBN 978-3861-53362-7 .
- Concept of Operation for the Polish Front. CIA Report. 1984 (en.)
- 1. Polish Front / Coastal Front for the Baltic theater of the Warsaw Pact armed forces
- ABC Company