6th Division (People's Army of the Republic) - 6.ª División (Ejército Popular de la República)
|Active||December 31, 1936 - March 27, 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The 6th Division was a unit of the People's Army of the Republic that existed during the Spanish Civil War , created on the basis of mixed brigades . It came to be deployed on the fronts of Madrid, Levante and Extremadura, having an outstanding participation during the contest.
The division was created at the end of 1936, within the Madrid Army Corps . Composed of the 4th , 42nd and 43rd mixed brigades , it was initially under the command of Carabinieri Lieutenant Colonel José María Galán . [ 1 ] Many of the division's forces had played a prominent role in the defense of Madrid . [ 2 ]
Later, the unit would be assigned to the II Army Corps , remaining assigned to the Madrid front without actually taking part in relevant military operations. In the spring of 1938 it was reorganized and attached to the XXI Corps of the People's Army of the Republic , being sent to the Levante front to face the Francoist offensive that sought to conquer Valencia. After the end of the fighting in the Levant it was subjected to a reorganization, remaining in reserve. [ 3 ] In August the division was sent as reinforcement to the Extremadura front, to face the Francoist offensive in this sector. [ 4 ][ 5 ] It was affected by theVII Army Corps, participating in the republican counterattacks that managed to stabilize the situation and regain ground. [ 4 ] After completing the operations, she would be assigned to theXX Army Corps, in Levante.
In late 1938 he was assigned to the Group "Toral" , [ 6 ] [ 7 ] on the front of the south, in preivisión of their future participation in the battle of Valsequillo . On the morning of January 5, 1939, the 6th Division was one of the units that broke through Franco's lines, entering enemy territory. [ 8 ] Later he would concentrate his efforts on the "Sierra Trapera", one of the nuclei of Franco's resistance, launching numerous attacks against it. [ 9 ]
- Carabinieri Lieutenant Colonel José María Galán ; [ 1 ]
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Arturo Mena Roig ; [ 2 ]
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Carlos Romero Giménez ; [ 10 ]
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Miguel Melero Blanco ; [ 11 ]
- militia major Valeriano Marquina Merino ; [ 12 ]
- Chiefs of Staff
Order of battle
|Date||Attached Army Corps||Integrated Mixed Brigades||Battle front|
|December 31, 1936||Madrid Army Corps||4.ª , 42.ª y 43.ª||Center|
|May 1937||II Army Corps||4.ª , 42.ª y 43.ª y 75.ª||Center|
|December 1937||II Army Corps||43.ª , 75.ª y 149.ª||Center|
|April 1938||XXII Army Corps||74.ª , 107.ª y 209.ª||Levante|
|April 30, 1938||XXI Army Corps||107.ª , 129.ª y 209.ª||Levante|
|August 11, 1938||XXI Army Corps||107.ª , 209.ª , 220.ª||Levante|
|November 1938||XX Army Corps||107.ª, 209.ª, 220.ª||Levante|
|January 1939||Group «Toral»||107.ª, 209.ª, 220.ª||Estremadura|
- Zaragoza, 1983, p. 46.
- Alpert, 2013, p. 77.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 304.
- VV.AA., 1990, p. 616.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , p. 256.
- Martínez Bande, 1985 , p. 38.
- Salas Larrazábal, 2006 , p. 3050.
- Martínez Bande, 1985 , pp. 48, 49.
- Martínez Bande, 1985 , p. 52.
- Alpert, 2013, p. 349.
- Alpert, 2013, p. 342.
- Martínez Bande, 1981 , pp. 256, 304.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 179.
- Álvarez, 1989, p. 187.
- Alpert, Michael (2013). The Republican Army in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Cambridge University Press.
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- —— (1985). The End of the Civil War . Madrid: Ed. San Martín.
- Salas Larrazábal , Ramón (2006). History of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: The Sphere of books. 84-9734-465-0 .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.
- VV.AA. (1990). General history of Spain and America XVII . The second republic and the civil war . Madrid: Rialp Editions.