750 years of Berlin - 750 Jahre Berlin
In 1987 there were numerous events in both parts of Berlin on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the creation of the city under the motto 750 Years of Berlin . Extensive restorations and extensive redesigns of the cityscape were carried out.
As part of the 750th anniversary, a concert took place in East Berlin's Gethsemane Church in Prenzlauer Berg in February 1987 , attended by both East Berlin's Lord Mayor Erhard Krack and West Berlin's Governing Mayor Eberhard Diepgen as listeners. It was not until October 1987 that Krack and Diepgen met for a brief conversation in East Berlin's Marienkirche .
At Pentecost , the Concert for Berlin took place from June 6th to 8th, 1987, on three consecutive days . The concert area was by the Reichstag building near the wall, and clashes between young listeners from the GDR and the people's police occurred on the east side of the wall . The Tour de France started in honor of the anniversary with an individual time trial on the Kurfürstendamm . In West Berlin , Breitscheidplatz and Rathenauplatz were redesigned. Historic buildings have been extensively restored, such as theMartin-Gropius-Bau or the Hamburger Bahnhof . The exhibition Mythos Berlin was held on the site of the former Anhalter Bahnhof .
- Ulrich Eckhardt (Ed.): 750 Years of Berlin - City of the Present . Ullstein Verlag, Berlin 1986, ISBN 3-548-34380-5 .
- Berlin in 1987. Calendar of the Luisenstädtischer Bildungsverein
- Chronicle of the GDR 1987
- Video 750 year celebrations in divided Berlin
- June 4, 1987. MDR
- Video on 750 years of Berlin. rbb
- 750 years of Berlin 1987 - A GDR propaganda film
- Video review of the exhibitions and the big festival for the city anniversary