800xA - 800xA
800xA is a process control system from the manufacturer ABB for the automation of process engineering processes.  Here, xA stands for Extended Automation. It is an integration platform that connects both corporate and plant systems. In addition to a distributed control system , an electrical control system, 800xA is also a safety system that has been installed in over 10,000 systems in more than 100 countries  .
System 800xA from ABB is an automation platform that can integrate products and solutions of various types into a single process control environment: traditional process controls such as PLC, distributed process control systems (PCS), safety systems, electrical equipment such as drives and motors as well as production planning, energy management, maintenance, Asset management, resource planning and documentation systems.
The AC 800M controller consists of several rail-mounted modules consisting of CPUs, communication and power supply modules and various accessories. CPU modules can be operated in single or redundant mode. Different controller modules from the PM851 to the PM891 can be used. The PM865 High Integrity Controller is available for safety requirement levels (SIL1 - SIL3).
The following CPU modules are available: PM851A, PM856A, PM860A, PM861A, PM864A, PM865, PM866, PM891. The modules can be exchanged during operation. Each CPU module is equipped with two Ethernet ports for communication with other controllers. In addition, there are two RS-232C connections on the CPU that can be used for selective communication with programming / troubleshooting tools as well as with systems and devices from third-party suppliers . A flash - memory card can be used in a slot to be used in the CPU module to applications to secure and data. 
Communication and I / O modules
There are different I / O (input-output) modules for digital and analog modules. There are also communication modules, redundancy modules and Ex modules. 
Interface / communication modules
- FOUNDATION Fieldbus HSE interface as a backbone for access to FOUNDATION Fieldbus system solutions
- PROFINET IO, PROFIBUS and DeviceNet interface for the integration of a wide range of devices and I / O systems
- IEC 61850 interface that enables the protection and control of substation equipment by IEDs or protection relays
- ABB-INSUM interface for efficient monitoring and control of electrical switchgear via multidrop communication buses
- MasterBus-300 and AF100 interface, which ensures compatibility with Advant-OCS and ABB master systems
- S100 I / O interface, through which the upgrade of existing Advant-Controller-410 or Advant-Controller-450 systems (or even MasterPiece-200 systems) to AC 800M while retaining existing I / O areas becomes
- TRIO I / O interface, which enables existing MOD300 controllers to be upgraded to AC 800M while retaining existing TRIO I / O areas
- Satt I / O interface, which enables existing Satt controllers to be upgraded to AC 800M while retaining existing Satt I / O areas
- Modbus-TCP interface that compares the Modbus RTU with the Ethernet and TCP standards and thus enables communication with devices from third-party manufacturers
I / O modules from the S800 series and their functions
- DI Module (Digitaleingabemodule)
- DO Module (Digitalausgabemodule)
- DP modules (pulse input modules)
- AI Module (Analogeingangsmodule)
- AO Module (Analogausgabemodule)
- Modules with intrinsic safety / Ex modules / Intrinsic safety modules
- ISP / OSP (Input / Output Set as Predefined): If a communication failure occurs, all I / Os can adopt a predefined value or be "frozen".
- Module replacement during operation: A defective I / O module can be replaced without disconnecting the station from the power supply or without affecting the rest of the station.
- HCIR (Hot Configuration In Run): An S800 I / O station can be reconfigured during normal operation
- Redundancy options in all areas: power supply , field buses , field bus interfaces and I / O modules.
The AC 800M controller can be programmed with the Control Builder M or with the Engineering Workplace. The Bulk Data Manager in the form of an Excel document can be used to program mass data management. This BDM tool is integrated in the Engineering Workplace. The graphics editor can be used to create graphic representations. 
Control Builder M
Control Builder can be used to configure control and safety applications. In addition to the editors compatible with IEC 61131, Control Builder also provides the Control Module Diagram Editor, which enables object-oriented engineering. The following programming languages are supported:
The Engineering Workplace is an engineering tool for graphically displaying applications. No software programming skills are required for Engineering Workplace. The tool can be used in the system planning as well as in the maintenance phase. The following programming languages are available to the user
- Logic and control system blocks such as functions , function blocks and control modules
- ( Sequential Function Chart - SFC ) Sequences with steps, transitions and actions
- I / O signals for displaying the configuration of the devices and hardware channels
- Higher programming language " Visual Basic Classic "
The first executable version is known as System Baseline 2 (SB2). The current version is the system version 6.0.
System Version 6
The current version 800xA SV6.0 was released in 2014. Under the term “ Industry 4.0 ”  , which was coined in Germany, or the global term “ Internet of Things, Services and People ”, the system links the individual corporate areas even further. By networking the individual systems, the topics of "Cyber Security"  and data protection in version 6 became core topics. The process control system uses z. B. software applications , apps and data analysis. There is the possibility of digital “code signing” of applications. The installation medium is supplied on a write-protected USB hard drive. New modules enable redundant CPUs up to a distance of 200 m.
System Version 5
The system version SV5.0 was released in 2006. System version 5.0 is divided into Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2. Different revisions bring improvements from "Revision A" to "Revision E". The system version SV5.1 was published in 2010 and is divided into a revision track and a feature pack track. These versions differ in that only corrections are entered in the revision track and new functions are also programmed in the feature pack track.
- The innovations in this version are the online upgrade, which enables the system to be upgraded while the system is running.
- Multi-user engineering is possible from system version 5. Several programmers can program the entire system at the same time by reserving individual system parts.
- The High Integrity CPU PM865 has been certified for SIL 3.
System Version 4
System version 4 was released in 2005. The High Integrity CPU PM865 has been certified for SIL 2 in this system version. The national language for the user interface has been expanded to include German, Chinese, Swedish and French in addition to English. "Windows Remote Desktop" can be used to establish a connection to other computers (remote clients).
System Version 3
System version 3 was released in 2004. The innovations compared to the previous version consist of the redundancy capability of the input / output modules and the redundant Profibus option. Embedding of remote clients from Citrix . These are also called " thin clients ". Improved security functions "Cybersecurity" based on Windows functions.
System Baseline 2
System Baseline 2 is abbreviated as SB2. This first, executable 800xA version was published in 2002. It was possible to configure up to 24 CPUs, four connectivity servers and ten clients in one system. It was also possible for the operator to use two monitors as a " dual screen ". Redundant CPU operation is already possible in the first version. In the event of a hardware failure, the defective CPU automatically switches to the backup CPU.
The AC 800M controller can communicate with various other controls
- ABB Advant Controller 110/ Advant Controller 160 – AC110/ AC160
- ABB Advant Controller 410/ Advant Controller 450 – AC410/ AC450
- ABB Advant Controller 500 – AC500
- ABB Freelance
- ABB MOD 300
- ABB Procontrol P13
- ABB Procontrol P14
- ABB SATT / SattLine
- ABB Symphony plus/ Symphony+
- ABB Symphony DCI System Six
- ABB Symphony Harmony / INFI 90 / Network 90
- ABB Symphony Melody / Contronic
- Emerson – DeltaV
- Emerson - RS3
- Emerson – Fisher Provox
- General Electric 9030,9070
- Honeywell – Experion
- Honeywell – TDC2000/TDC3000
- Invensys – Foxboro I/A
- Rockwell Allen Bradley PLC5
- Siemens - SIMATIC PCS7
- Siemens – Teleperm
- Siemens - WinCC
- Swapan Basu, Ajay Debnath: Power Plant Instrumentation and Control Handbook: A Guide to Thermal Power Plants ISBN 978-0-1280-1173-7
- System 800xA: System Guide - Summary. ( PDF ; 813 kB) In: library.e.abb.com. ABB, 2012, accessed October 2, 2015 .
- ABB's System 800xA is at the center of the expansion in Garpenberg - Aktiennews. wap.aktiencheck.de, 2015, accessed on October 2, 2015 .
- System 800xA 6.0: AC 800M Control and I / O. (PDF; 6.99 MB) In: library.e.abb.com. ABB, 2015, accessed October 2, 2015 .
- System 800xA - added value through integration: System 800xA engineering: overview. (PDF; 16.9 MB) In: library.e.abb.com. ABB, 2011, accessed October 2, 2015 .
- ABB presents a new version of its process control system: Starting point for Industry 4.0. chemietechnik.de, 2014, accessed on October 2, 2015 .
- Resilience for control systems. pua24.net, 2014, archived from the original on October 3, 2015 ; accessed on October 2, 2015 .
- The mining technology of the 21st century: The most effective mine in the world. In: elektroniknet.de. ABB, 2015, accessed October 3, 2015 .
- ABB is allowed to modernize the Leibstadt NPP (KKL). technica-online.ch, 2009, archived from the original on October 3, 2015 ; accessed on March 28, 2018 .