93rd Mixed Brigade (People's Army of the Republic) - 93.ª Brigada Mixta (Ejército Popular de la República)
|93rd Mixed Brigade|
|Active||January 1937-February 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The unit was created in January 1937, in the Álora sector , with the 89th ("Comandante Ortiz"), 90th ("Almería Volunteers"), 91st ("Pedro Galindo") and 92 battalions. .º («Angel Eyelash»). Initially the brigade was numbered «53», although it would finally adopt the numbering «93». Its first commander was Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Juan Piaya Rebullido , succeeded shortly after by Infantry Commander José Villagrán Ganzinotto . The brigade managed to escape the fall of Malaga , then passing to the front of Córdoba and, in March 1937, to the front of Granada. A month later he was integrated into the new 22nd Division [ 1 ] [ 2] From then on, the 93rd BM went on to cover the front that ran from theGuadalquivir riverto the road that went fromAlbendíntoMartos.
In the spring of 1938 it was sent as reinforcement to the Aragon front, within the so-called "Andalusia" Division . [ 3 ] It was fixed in the sector that went from Albocácer to Campillo, but could not maintain its positions in the face of enemy pressure and had to withdraw to the north of the Ebro. At that time it was briefly assigned to the 3rd Division . [ 4 ] [ 5 ]
After the 93rd Mixed Brigade was added to the 72nd Division , [ 6 ] covering the sector Balaguer of the front of the Segre . By then the command of the unit was held by the militia major Agustín Vilella Freixas . In December 1938 the Franco offensive broke the positions of the brigade; subsequently the 93rd BM defended the Sierra de Prades from enemy attacks, but suffered a severe loss. From that moment he joined the retreat towards the French border.
- Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Juan Piaya Rebullido ;
- Infantry Commander José Villagrán Ganzinotto ;
- Infantry Commander José de Juan Saura ;
- Militia Major Agustín Vilella Freixas ;
- Chiefs of Staff
- infantry commander Antonio Burgos Pérez ;
- infantry captain Miguel Valderes Rives ;
- militia captain Jacinto Moreno Gutiérrez ;
- Álvarez , Santiago (1989). Political commissars in the People's Army of the Republic . Editions do Castro.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid, Almena. 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1975). Arrival at the sea . Madrid: San Martín. 84-7140-115-0 .
- —— (1978). The Battle of the Ebro . Madrid: San Martín.
- -- (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.