93rd infantry regiment - 93e régiment d’infanterie
The 93 e régiment d'infanterie was a French infantry regiment that existed until 1815 and then again from 1855 to 1997. It was set up in 1706 as the "Régiment d'Enghien" of the royal army of the Ancien Régime .
Lineup and significant changes
The regiment was established on February 1, 1706 by Louis-Henri de Bourbon-Condé , duc d'Enghien, on September 15, 1709 in the possession of Charles de Bourbon, comte de Charolais and on April 1, 1716 in the possession of Louis de Bourbon, comte de Clermont about. After the death of the latter, the regiment remained without an owner until July 17, 1788 when it was handed over to Louis Antoine Henri de Bourbon-Condé, duc d'Enghien , who was thus the last owner of the regiment.
- 1706 : Establishment of the Regiment d'Enghien
- 1. January 1791 : Renamed "93 e Régiment d'infantry (ci-devant d'Enghien)" 
- 1794 : In the course of the Premier amalgame (first amalgamation) the regiment was split up. The 1st battalion was used to set up the "169 e demi-brigade de bataille" and the 2nd battalion to set up the "170 e demi-brigade de bataille".
- 1796 : With the organizational change of the second amalgame (Deuxieme amalgame), the "93 e demi-brigade d'infanterie" was set up. It consisted of:
der vormaligen "41 th battle of half-brigade"
- mit dem vormaligen 1. Battalion 41 e infantry regiment (heretofore Guyenne)
- mit dem vormaligen 2. „Battalion of volunteers from Doubs“
- dem vormaligen 4. „Eure Volunteer Battalion“
der vormaligen „207 th battle demi-brigade“
- mit dem vormaligen 10. „Battalion of volunteers from Doubs“
- mit dem vormaligen 14. „Battalion of the Vosges volunteers“
- mit dem vormaligen 10. „Volunteer battalion of the Côte d'Or“
- September 24, 1803 : In the course of the renewed reorganization, the name was changed to "93 e régiment d'infanterie de ligne". However, this had nothing to do with the former "Régiment d'Enghien". 
- 1815 : dissolution.
- 1855 : By converting the “ light infantry ” into “ line infantry ”, the “18 e régiment d'infanterie légère”  became the “93 e régiment d'infanterie de ligne”.
- 1882 : Renamed "93 e Régiment d'infantry".
- 1920 : Resolution (The tradition was from 65 e régiment d'infantry continued).
- 1939 : re-installation.
- 1940 : dissolution.
- 1945 : Provisional reassembly in the Maquis .
- 1946 : Aktiv als 93 th Infantry Battalion.
- 1948 : gain of "93 e Régiment d'infantry".
- 1964 : dissolution.
- 1979 : re-establishment.
- 1997 : dissolution.
Field teachers / Colonels
Mestre de camp was from 1569 to 1661 and from 1730 to 1780 the denomination of rank for the regiment owner and / or for the officer in charge of the regiment. The name "Colonel" was used from 1721 to 1730, from 1791 to 1793 and from 1803 onwards.
After 1791 there were no more regimental owners.
Should the Mestre de camp / Colonel be a person of the high nobility who had no interest in leading the regiment (such as the king or queen), the command was given to the "Mestre de camp lieutenant" (or "Mestre de camp en second") or the "Colonel-lieutenant" or "Colonel en second".
- 1 February 1706: Louis de Beaupoil, comte de Sainte – Aulaire, fell at Rumersheim on 16 August 1709
- 26. April 1710: Léon de Madaillan de Lesparre, marquis de Lassay
- 15. April 1726: Louis-Gabriel des Acres, count of Laigle
- 10. September 1744: Louis–Joseph de Beaumont, marquis d’Autichamp,
- 10. Juli 1747: Jean – François, comte de Billy
- 23. Januar 1750: François – Alexandre, count of Polignac
- May 7, 1750: Antoine de Malvin, knight of Montazet
- 16. May 1760: François Auzon de Lammerville
- 1. Dezember 1762: Charles de Malvin, marquis de Montazet
- March 1, 1784: Marie – Yves, Marquis de Goulet
- 25. Juli 1791: Sylvain – Joseph, knight of Grammont
Between 1794 and 1803 there were no regiments, only composite demi-brigades
- 1803 to 1809: Baron Rémy Grillot
- 1809 to 1813: Pierre François Bauduin
- 1813 to 1815: Nicolas Marchal, wounded in the Battle of Borodino on September 7, 1812 and in the Battle of the Nations near Leipzig on September 16, 1813
- 93 th Regiment online
- 1856 bis 1857: Eugène – Jacques – Charles Paulze d'Ivoy
- 1857 bis 1866: Jules – Louis – Marie Pissonet de Bellefonds
- 93 th Infantry Regiment
- 1866 to 1874: Louis – Jean – Baptiste Ganzin
- 1874 bis 1881: Émile – Auguste Heintz
- 1881 to 1886: Georges Lecluze
- 1886 bis 1890: Charles – Marie – Louis comte Boscal de Réals
- 1890 bis 1896: Gustave – Étienne Ragaine
- 1896 to 1902: Groth
- 1902 to 1903: Bérard
- 1903 to 1904: Micheau
- 1904 bus 1906: d'Arazc
- 1906 to 1910: Antoine de Villaret
- 1910 bis 1914: by Laporte d'Huste
- 1914: Colonel Hétet, fatally wounded on the night of September 7th to 6th near Fère-Champenoise
- 1914 to 1915: Lieutenant-colonel Jahan, killed on September 25, 1915 near Tourbe in Champagne
- 1915 to 1918: Commander (then Lieutenant-Colonel ) Lafouge, fell on the Chemin des Dames on 27 May 1918.
- May 27, 1918: Capitaine Delafosse took over the command until the end of the war.
- June 7, 1918 to 1922: Lieutenant-Colonel Berducou
- 1939 bis 1940: Lieutenant-Colonel Moreau
- 1940: Lieutenant-Colonel Le Balle
- 1944 to 1945: Germain (unit of the Maquis).
- 1946 bis 1947: Battalion commander Bernachot
- 1947 to 1948: Lieutenant – colonel Besson
- 1948 to 1950: Colonel Ginestet
- 1950 to 1952: Colonel Micheau
- 1952 bis 1954: Colonel Prud'homme
- 1954 bis 1955: Colonel Sarraute-Darrivière
- 1955 bis 1956: Lieutenant – colonel Chalandon
- 1957 bus 1958: Colonel Jaud
- 1958 to 1960: Colonel Charlet
- 1960 bis 1961: Colonel Gazeau
- 1961 bis 1962: Colonel Abrial
- 1962 bis 1964: Lieutenant–colonel Thozet
- 1979: Colonel Vernant
- 1979 bis 1983: Lt-Colonel (CR) Muller
- 1983 bis 1986: Lt-Colonel (CR) Crombe
- 1986 bis 1988: Lieutenant – colonel Hervé
- 1988 bis 1993: Lieutenant–colonel Laudren
- 1993 bis 1996: Colonel Louis
- 1996 bis 1997: Lieutenant–colonel Cochin
The regiment carried three flags, a white body flag (Drapeau colonelle) and two orderly flags. 
War of the Spanish Succession (1701 to 1714)
- 1707 : The regiment was first deployed under the command of Maréchal de Villars in the attack on the Bühl-Stollhofen line . It marched under de Villars through Swabia and Franconia , where it was able to free a number of prisoners of war from the Second Battle of Höchstädt who were being held in towns on the right bank of the Rhine.
- 1708 : A battalion was sent to Flanders, where it strengthened the armed forces there, which had been severely decimated in the Battle of Oudenaarde . During the siege of Lille , the battalion remained in the camp of Meldert (now part of Aalst ). The other battalion was in Alsace without action .
- 1709 : The regiment distinguished itself on August 26th in the battle near Rumersheim-le-Haut , in which 20,000 French and Austrian soldiers faced each other. The commandant of the Austrians was Field Marshal Claudius Florimund Mercy , who could not prevail against the French and had to mourn 1,200 dead , as opposed to 131 French. The place Rumersheim went up in flames. The "Regiment d'Enghien" attacked with unbridled force and lost the commander, Lieutenant Colonel de Sainte-Aulaire and his deputy, Lieutenant Colonel de Virieu. Then it withdrew to its starting position on the Lauter. In October it was commissioned along with theRégiment de Rouergue and the Régiment de Royal-Bavière to monitor the area on the Saar. It stayed in this area until peace, moved to Strasbourg, then back to the Saar line and was involved in the capture of Landau and Freiburg im Breisgau in 1713 .
By reducing the army after the peace treaty in 1714, the regiment was reduced to one battalion. It took the last place with the number 96 in the ranking of the infantry regiments. This rank, which it was to retain until the end of the royal army, ultimately led to a mocking verse that did not stand up to reality.
Last in the fire,
First in bread. "
Last in the fire,
first on bread. "
This last rank also brought him the last position in the marching order and the first position in work assignments.
In 1727 it was in the camp on the Saône.
War of the Polish Succession (1733-1738)
- 1733 : Campaign on the Rhine
- 1734 : Participation in the attack on the Ettlinger lines and in the capture of Philippsburg . On December 16, a second battalion was set up again.
- 1735 : Battle near Klausen . After the end of the war he was moved to Strasbourg.
War of the Austrian Succession (1742 to 1748)
- 1742 : Together with the Régiment d'Auvergne , it marched to Bavaria in March , made stops in Donauwörth and Neuburg and then moved on to Bohemia . Here it was involved in the capture of Elbogen and Kaaden . Then the retreat to Braunau am Inn and the billeting in Landshut took place . In December, during the garrison's retreat from Prague , the unit was transferred to Burglengenfeld under his lieutenant colonel Comte de Chamborantcommanded. After it had covered the transition of the troops from Maréchal Belle-Isle over the Naab , "d'Enghien" was parked at Landshut.
- 1743 : After the evacuation of Landshut, Wörth Castle was occupied. A ford across the Danube was secured here. It formed a brigade with the Régiment de Picardie On April 2, the grenadiers, under the command of Colonel-lieutenant Desbarreaux of the Régiment de La Marck, took part in the attack near Bischofsmais on an Austrian money transport secured by the Forgatz Hussar Regiment . The hussars were chased away, the transport of money captured. On April 11th “Enghien” left Wörth, 100 men stayed behind as guard and marched to Regenstaufto replace the two regiments that were assigned to relieve the Eger garrison and withdrawn. Shortly afterwards it moved to Deggendorf , where it distinguished itself in the battle on May 27th. Almost the entire city burned down. The regiment lost the Capitaine Rollin and 24 men dead. After Karl Alexander von Lorraine began to cross the Danube, the regiment marched to Donauwörth, then to Regensburg and from there to the Rhine. The 2nd battalion, under the command of Capitaine Lamarre, was deployed during the retreat, the entourageto protect with the wounded and sick of the army. After returning to France, the unit was deployed in Alsace and fought in combat near Rheinweiler . The next day the 131-man detachment , which had remained under Capitaine Prisselet to defend Ingolstadt , reached the unit. "Enghien" spent the winter in the Hüningen fortress .
- 1744 : At the beginning of the Austrian invasion, the regiment was in Fort-Louis . It stood with the recapture of Wissembourg and the defense of the lines on the Lauter, led skirmishes at Soufflenheim and Augenheim , then moved to Strasbourg and ended the campaign in Freiburg im Breisgau.
- 1745 : Attack on Kronenbourg 
- 1746 : Use on the Meuse and before Mons. The regiment was used in the siege of Mons , Charleroi and Namur . Capitaine Prisselet fell off Namur. It was used in the Battle of Roucourt and in Champagne .
- 1747 : Battle of Lauffeldt , in which Lieutenant Colonel d'Autichamp was killed.
- 1748: Siege of Maastricht
Seven Years War (1756 to 1763)
- 1757 : "Enghien" was one of the most committed units in the Battle of Hastenbeck , the Capitaines Saint-Pont and Mirval were killed, Major  La Peyrouse and 20 other officers were wounded. After that, the regiment was involved in the capture of Minden and Hanover and fought in combat at Kloster Zeven and at Celle
- 1758 : Back on the Rhine, it was used in the battle of Krefeld .
- 1759 : Enghien fought in a brigade with the Régiment du Dauphin in the battle near Bergen . Here it lost the Capitaine de Ray. After the battle of Minden and the retreat to Kassel , the regiment had to mourn the Capitaines de Migre, Vauferment, and Practomal as dead, and 12 other officers were wounded.
- 1760 : Without taking much interest , the unit was involved in the battle near Korbach , the Battle of Warburg and the Battle of Kampen Monastery . On July 3, “Enghien” fought brilliantly in the battle near Werleshausen . In September the regiment was at the siege of Meppen .
- 1762 : At the beginning of the year he returned to France.
It was Garrison in Mezieres and Rocroi respect, then in May 1763 relocation to Landrecies and Avesnes , according to Conde in April 1764 after Sedan in November 1764 to Briancon in August 1765 to Toulon in May 1766 by Bordeaux and Blaye in November 1767, to Lille in December 1770, to Aire in September 1772, to Brest (Finistère) in October 1774, to Belle-Île in November 1775, to Brest in 1776, toSaint-Jean-d'Angély und die Île d'Oléron im Oktober 1777.
- 1778 : The regiment was sent to the Saintonge to protect the coast .
- 1779 : The 2nd battalion moved into garrison in Wissembourg and Fort-Louis, the 1st battalion was embarked for Martinique , where it was to remain for four years.
- 1780 : In April part of the 1st Battalion, which was on a ship in the fleet of Admiral Luc Urbain du Bouëxic de Guichen , got into a naval battle with ships of George Rodney, 1st Baron Rodney . The Lieutenant d'Aiguisy was fatally wounded.
- 1784 : The regiment was reunited in Besançon and moved to Embrun and Montdauphin in September 1790 . During this time it placed 200 men in the military port of Toulon .
The now “93 e régiment d'infanterie (ci-devant d'Enghien)” was in Bourg in June 1792 and marched the following month to Belfort and Strasbourg. The 2nd battalion remained there, the 1st battalion was assigned to the army of Custine . It was involved in the action against the Austrians near Speyer, in which an Austrian battalion, two battalions of the Kurmainz garrison of Mainz and various smaller troops, a total of 3200 men, attacked on September 29th by Custine with his around 18,000 men from Landau and this corpswas forced to surrender under the command of the Electorate of Mainz, Colonel Damian von Winkelmann. Lieutenant Colonel La Potterieprevost had died on September 26th. It was then further involved in the conquest of the Palatinate, moved into garrison in Mainz and moved to the Vendée in August 1793 to fight the uprisings there . In December 1793 it was used in the Second Battle of Weissenburg
On June 10, 1794, the regimental association was disbanded and the two battalions used to set up demi-brigades .
- 1855 to 1859 : Used in the conquest of Algeria
- 1870 : Franco-German War
On August 1, 1870, the regiment was assigned to the Armée du Rhin.
Together with the 94 e régiment d'infantry it formed the second infantry brigade under the command of General Colin. This brigade, plus the 1st Infantry Brigade under the command of Général Becquet de Sonnay, three batteries of four Canon de 4 modèle 1858 guns and a pioneer company formed the 3rd Infantry Division under Général de division Lafont de Villiers. The division was part of the 6th Army Corps of Maréchal Canrobert .
- Aug. 16, 1870 - Battle of Mars-la-Tour
- August 18, 1870 - Battle of Gravelotte
- Enclosed in the fortress during the siege of Metz.
At the same time, on August 16, 1870, a fourth battalion was formed from the surplus and newcomers. This battalion left the depot to form the 12th Marching Regiment , which was assigned to the 2nd Brigade of the 2nd Division in the 13th Army Corps. 
- 1881: Deployment in Tunisia .
First World War
It belonged to the 42nd Infantry Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division in the 11th Army Corps. It consisted mostly of residents of the Vendée.
- On October 15, the regiment was in Sedan , from where it set off for Belgium . On August 16th it was in Bouillon , then in La Chapelle . The withdrawal took place via Martincourt and Stenay Zur Aisne . Here it was with Vendresse and Tourteron and fought between September 6 and 13 in the First Battle of the Marne . On September 19, it was in defensive fighting at Mourmelon-le-Grand . This was followed by the race to the sea and the battle at Boisselle on September 28th.
- Trench warfare. Battle of Hébuterne in June .
- Autumn battle in Champagne . Then fights at Thiepval , Auchonvilles, Hébuterne, Serre
- Trench warfare in the Artois
- Struggle battles on the Cote de Poivre near Verdun
- Battle of the Chemin des Dames
- October to May 1918 aggressive fighting near Pargny .
- May to June: aggressive fighting on the Aisne. Fight along the path and quarry of Rouge-Maison. On the evening of May 27, the remnants of the regiment, 16 officers, 15 NCOs and 142 men were taken from the front and taken to Ciry-Salsogne for a longer break .
- Zweite Marneschlacht , Kämpfe bei le Violu, Suippes , Sainte-Marie-à-Py , Thugny und Raillicourt .
Second World War
On September 9, 1939, the regiment was mobilized under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Le Balle and assigned to the 7th Infantry Division. The “Région Militaire, Center Mobilisateur d'infanterie” was responsible for the mobilization; Réserve A RI Type NE (CMI 43) ”.
No information is available about the missions during the war , not even about their whereabouts after the end of the fighting.
After the armistice with France it was dissolved or declared dissolved.
post war period
In 1957 the 93 e RI formed a demi-brigade under the command of Colonel Jaud and was relocated to Oujda , Morocco . From there, the command to Algeria followed . In the Oran department, the town of Inkerman (now Oued Rhiou ) was taken in the canton of Relizane . The 2nd company was sent to Ammi Moussa . It was supposed to control the Wilaya de Relizane (a kind of union community) and the Chélif valley and keep the peaks of the Ouarsenis in check.
After the end of the war , the 93 e régiment d'infanterie was used on March 19, 1962, as well as 91 other units to form the national armed forces. This was based on the Treaty of Evian of 18 March 1962. It introduced the 485 e UFL UFO and 486 e UFL UFO (UFL = Union des forces locales - UFO = Union des forces de l'ordre ) of the armed forces of the Provisional Algerian Government on. The unit consisted of 10% military personnel from the metropolitan areas and 90% of military personnel with rural roots (Militaires musulmans) . These formed the regular armed forces after Algeria's independence.
- The flag ribbon is decorated with the Croix de guerre 1914-1918 with two palm branches for the two honorable mention in a daily order of the army. Due to the participation in the Battle of Solferino, the regiment was awarded the gold medal of the city of Milan in 1909.
The members of the regiment have the right to wear the Fourragère in the colors of the "Croix de Guerre 1914-1918" (even in the event of a possible reconstruction) .
- General Duchesne, 1805:
"The commander in chief is very impressed by the bravery, order and discipline of the 93rd regiment"
“You can see that there is nothing impossible with such men. "
"You can see that nothing is impossible with men like that."
(Nothing is impossible for such men.)
Personalities who have served in the regiment
- Marshals Randon and de Lattre de Tassigny
- Serge Gainsbourg did his military service in 1948.
- Bernard Tapie did his military service in 1962/63.
- „above“ = vormalig
- However, the tradition of the French army does not take this into account, the main criterion is always the number!
- 18th Light Infantry Regiment, established in 1820
- Fifth general summary of the military of France, on land and at sea. Lemau de la Jaisse, Paris 1739.
- today a district of Strasbourg
- Major was not a rank, but the department designation for the head of the regimental administration.
- Operation of the 13th Army Corps and the 3rd Army during the Siege of Paris (1870). (General Vinoy, S. 7 und 15)
- « Decision n ° 12350 / SGA / DPMA / SHD / DAT of 14 September 2007 in relation to the inscriptions of battle names on the drapes and extensions of the troops of the Army of the Earth, the health service of the armies and the service des essences des armées, Bulletin officiel des armées, n ° 27, 9 novembre 2007 » Troop bodies of the Army, the Sanitary Service and the fuel supply industry. Published with the official Army Bulletin No. 27 of November 9, 2007 ")
- " Arrêté relatif à l'attribution de l'inscription AFN 1952–1962 sur les drapeaux et étendards des formations des armées et services, du 19 November 2004 (A) NORDEF0452926A Michèle Alliot-Marie " (German: "Order AFN 1952–1962 on the assignment of the inscriptions on the flags and standards of the formations of the army and the services of November 19, 2004 (A) NORDEF0452926A Michèle Alliot-Marie ")
- This also applies to units that have already been disbanded, as they can (theoretically) be put back into active service at any time
- Historical-military chronology. by M. Pinard, Band 4, 5 & 8, Paris 1761, 1762 & 1778.
- Collection of French Infantry History. General Andolenko, ed. Eurimprim, 1969.
- History of the French infantry. Band 5, J. Dumaine Military Library, Paris 1876, S. 102–107.