9th Panzer Division (NVA) - 9. Panzerdivision (NVA)
9. Panzerdivision (9. PD)
|active||September 15, 1956 to October 2, 1990|
|State||German Democratic Republic|
|Armed forces||National Peoples Army|
|Armed forces||Land forces of the NVA|
|Branch of service||Armored force|
|Strength||12,369 (war) ; 8,750 (peace)|
|Insinuation|| Military District V (Peace) |
5th Army (war)
|headquarters||Eggsin ( )|
The 9th Panzer Division was created in September 1956 from the Mechanized People's Police Readiness Eggesin in the V military district . Their structure largely corresponded to that of the armored divisions of the Soviet Army , which meant a workforce of 8,750 men in peacetime. In contrast to the Soviet Army, the NVA tank divisions had no combat helicopters and reduced motorized rifle units .  The GDR's land forces were divided into the two military districts V North and III South, each of which had to provide an army in the event of war. From 1972 the command was land forcesformed, which replaced the military districts as a training command, including the 9th Panzer Division. 
When the situation in Poland worsened in 1980 due to strikes and supply shortages and the Warsaw Pact was preparing a military intervention in the country, the GDR leadership designated the 9th Panzer Division to be ready for an invasion of Poland. For this purpose, she was transferred to the combat readiness level in the event of war threat; detailed planning for the invasion began. This order was not lifted until 1982 after martial law had meanwhile been imposed in Poland . 
In honor of the late Minister of National Defense , the division was given the honorary name Heinz Hoffmann on February 24, 1986 . On October 2, 1990, the NVA was dissolved and the individual units of the 9th Division placed under the command of the Bundeswehr Command East .
- Panzer Regiment 21 " Walter Empacher " in Spechtberg ( Torgelow ) ( )
- Panzer Regiment 22 " Soja Kosmodemjanskaja " in Spechtberg ( )
- 23rd Panzer Regiment " Julian Marchlewski " in Stallberg ( )
- Motorized Rifle Regiment 9 " Rudolf Renner " in Drögeheide (Torgelow) ( )
- Artillery Regiment 9 "Hans Fischer" in Karpin ( )
- Lead Battery Chief Missile / Artillery 9
- Fla-Missile Regiment 9 " Rudolf Dölling " in Karpin ( )
- Command battery chief air defense 9
- Missile Department 9 " Otto Nuschke " in Spechtberg ( )
- Bullet Launcher Department 9 " Friedrich Ebert " in Karpin ( )
- Reconnaissance Battalion 9 " Eduard Claudius " in Drögeheide (Torgelow) ( )
- Engineer Battalion 9 in Karpin ( )
- News Battalion 9 " Adolf Bytzeck " in Eggesin ( )
- Bataillon Material Seizure 9 " Robert Stamm " in Drögeheide ( )
- Repair battalion 9 " Paul Dessau " in Drögeheide ( )
- Chemical Defense Battalion 9 " Michael Niederkirchner " in Karpin ( )
- Medical battalion 9 " Wolfgang Langhoff " in Karpin ( )
- Replacement Regiment 9
- Field bakery company 9 (Gumnitz)
- Divisionslager 9 (Gumnitz)
- Headquarters / Headquarters Company (Eggesin) ( )
The division was equipped with brand-new T-54 tanks when it was set up , but also with T-34 tanks, and it was not until 1964 that it was fully equipped.  In the spring of 1978, 35 T-72 tanks were procured, mainly of the T-72M and T-72M1 types (two pieces). A 4th tank battalion (superstructure) was formed with 31 tanks in the 23rd tank regiment "Julian Marchlewski" in Stallberg; One tank went to Grossenhain and three tanks were used by the Karpin NCO School for training commanders and drivers.
When they were set up, the division's motorized rifle associations were equipped with BTR-40 (SPW-40) and BTR-152 (SPW-152) armored personnel carriers. In the mid-1960s, BTR-60 (SPW-60) and from 1978 BTR-70 (SPW-70) and BMP-1 were delivered. The BMP 2 was only introduced in the 9th motorized rifle regiment “Rudolf Renner”. Here the 3rd and 6th motorized rifle companies were each equipped with ten BMP 2, these were the only BMP 2 in the entire NVA that came into the force. Two further BMP 2 belonged to the specialty 2 motor riflemen at training center 20.
The actual stock in 1990 included:
- 4 Startrampen SS-21 Scarab
- 322 T-72
- 146 BMP
- 42 BTR
- 349 guns and projectiles
- 15 MT-55 bridge laying tanks based on the T-55 
|Rank at that time||Name||Period|
|Oberst||Reinhold Tappert||September 15, 1956–15. October 1959|
|Oberst||Erich Peter||October 15, 1959–14. May 1960|
|Lieutenant colonel||Kurt Lange||July 14, 1960–31. July 1964|
|Lieutenant colonel||Rolf Kappis||August 1, 1964-31. August 1968|
|Oberst||Walter Krysmann||September 1, 1968-31. August 1973|
|Oberst||Manfred Gehmert||1. September 1973–20. October 1977|
|Oberst||Horst Sylla||October 1977–31. August 1982|
|Major general||Franz Erdmann||1. September 1982–31. October 1987|
|Major general||Hans-Christian Reiche||1. November 1987–31. October 1989|
|Oberst||Karl-Heinz Marschner||November 1, 1989–2. October 1990 (dissolution)|
- Klaus Froh, Rüdiger Wenzke : The generals and admirals of the NVA. A biographical handbook. 5th revised edition. Ch. Links Verlag, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-86153-438-9 ( A publication by the Military History Research Office for research on GDR society ).
- Guntram König: The great book of the National People's Army. History, tasks, equipment. Das Neue Berlin, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-360-01954-7 .
- Wilfried Copenhagen : The land forces of the NVA. Motorbuch-Verlag, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-613-02297-4 ( Motorbuch-Verlag special ).
- Klaus Naumann (Ed.): NVA. Demand and Reality. According to selected documents. 2nd Edition. Mittler, Hamburg et al. 1996, ISBN 3-8132-0430-8 ( open words ).
- Walter J. Spielberger, Jörg Siegert , Helmut Hanske: The battle tanks of the NVA. Motorbuch-Verlag, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 3-613-01759-8 ( military vehicles 16).