9th Rhenish Infantry Regiment No. 160 - 9. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 160
9th Rhenish Infantry Regiment No. 160
|active||March 31, 1897|
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
The regiment was founded as part of the army expansion in 1897 on March 31, 1897 at the same time as the infantry regiments No. 146 to 176. The garrison was in Bonn in the Ermekeil barracks , Diez and Euskirchen . The association was subordinate to the 80th Infantry Brigade.
On January 27, 1902, Wilhelm II issued the army order that the associations, which had previously been run without a rural team name, were given an extension of their name in order to better differentiate and develop tradition. From this point on, the regiment was known as the 9th Rhenish Infantry Regiment No. 160.
First World War
At the beginning of the First World War , the association mobilized on August 2, 1914 and was used mainly on the Western Front in the following period . It fought in the battles on the Marne , the Somme and in Flanders .
The 2nd Battalion of the regiment, to which August Macke was an officer , had moved out of the Ermekeil barracks on August 8 and transported to Luxembourg by train. From Ettelbrück the further advance took place. On August 22nd, Graide was supposed to cross Daverdisse and Porcheressecan be achieved. In Porcheresse there was a surprise fight with French infantrymen, in which villagers are said to have also participated. The German troops also bombed themselves. Contradicting reports speak of combat, purges or atrocities of war. The village remained devastated after two days with 7 dead civilians, 55 dead horses, burned cattle, destroyed church and numerous destroyed properties. 75 families had lost their homes in the event, which was perceived as a disaster. 
After the end of the war , the regiment returned home, where it was initially demobilized in Lingen on December 18, 1918 and finally dissolved in 1919. A security company operating as a free formation was formed from parts on January 16, 1919 .
The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 12th MG Company of the 16th Infantry Regiment by decree of the Chief of the Army Command, General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt , on August 24, 1921 .
|Oberst||Johannes Ferno||April 1, 1897 to July 2, 1899|
|Oberst||Franz von Gayl||July 3, 1899 to January 21, 1903|
|Oberst||Adolph von Bodelschwingh||January 27, 1903 to April 13, 1907|
|Oberst||Gustav Adolf von Voss||April 14, 1907 to February 19, 1909|
|Oberst||Wilhelm von Henk||February 20, 1909 to April 19, 1910|
|Oberst||Friedrich von Trotha||April 20, 1910 to April 17, 1913|
|Oberst||Paul von der Heyde||April 18, 1913 to November 11, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Gustav von Buddenbrock||November 12, 1914 to October 9, 1916|
|Major||West||October 10, 1916 to September 24, 1918|
|Major||George of Dommes||September 25 to December 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Alfred Bonsack||December 1918 to January 9, 1919|
- History of the 9th Rhenish Infantry Regiment No. 160 in the World War 1914–1918. edit according to the official war diaries. of fellow campaigners. ed. from the Officers Association of Infantry Regiment No. 160, 9th Rhenish Infantry Regiment No. 160. Sporn, Zeulenroda 1932. (Volume 42 of the series From Germany's Great Times )
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Publishing house Militaria. Vienna 2007. ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 . P. 250.
- Horst-Pierre Bothien: From the Rhine to the Somme and the Bug. In the footsteps of Bonn soldiers in the First World War , Bonn 2014, 130 pages.
- Rüdiger Franz What happened in Porchesse , General-Anzeiger Bonn, 25./26. October 2014, p. 4
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The staffing of the active infantry regiments as well as the hunter and machine gun battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück 1992. ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 . P. 366.