KHD A4M 220 R / 420 R - KHD A4M 220 R / 420 R
|KHD A4M 220 R / 420 R|
|Numbering:|| KBE V1 |
MHE D 04
|Year of construction (s):||1934–1943|
|Ausmusterung:||until the mid-1980s|
|Axis formula :||B|
|Gauge :||1435 mm (Normalspur)|
|Length over buffers:||6.920 mm|
|Total wheelbase:||2.500 mm|
|Service mass:||25.000 kg|
|Friction mass:||25.000 kg|
|Wheel set mass :||12.500 kg|
|Top speed:||20 km / h|
|Installed capacity:||82 kW (110 PS)|
|Driving wheel diameter:||850 mm|
|Motorentyp:||KHD A4M 220/420|
|Engine type:||4-cylinder four-stroke diesel engine|
|Nominal speed:||900 / min|
|Brake:||Indirect brake type Knorr|
The KHD A4M 220 R / 420 R was a two-axle diesel locomotive with a rod drive that was designed for shunting service. A total of 47 locomotives were built by Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz (KHD) between 1934 and 1943 , and they were in service until the 1970s.
Four locomotives have been preserved at various locations.
Starting in 1933, the locomotives were built using the modular principle with engines with upright cylinders. The type of engine is included in the locomotive designation. With the KHD A4M 420 R, the result is A = stationary vehicle engine, 4 = number of cylinders, M = type of cooling water-cooled , the following 2 is the second version of the engine with 20 piston strokes = 20 cm. R is a shunter. 
The first locomotive was built in 1934 with a type 4 engine. Therefore, it was as KHD A4M 420 R , respectively. Later locomotives are equipped with the motor of type 2 in parallel, the term KHD A4M 220 R were given.  
Because of their power and top speed, the locomotives were only suitable for subordinate services. They were used in German plants as well as on private railways such as the Cologne-Frechen-Benzelrath Railway , the Cologne-Bonn Railways , the Brandenburg City Railway and the Bergedorf-Geesthacht Railway . 
The locomotives had a machine front and a driver's cab behind it. The power was transmitted by means of a rod drive , with the jackshaft as a transmission output shaft located under the driver's cab between the drive wheels. The locomotives had a connecting rod and a coupling rod as well as a high-speed four-cylinder four-stroke diesel engine from KHD, which was followed by a 4-speed change gearbox with reversing gear after a dry single-disk clutch .
At Dynamit AG in Herzberg , a locomotive was discontinued in 1941 and named D2 . It was sold to a private company in Cologne in 1946 . In 1991 the locomotive was handed over to the Rheinische Industriebahn-Museum in Cologne.  
Coswig paper mill
The Coswig paper factory received a locomotive in 1941, which in 1967 was passed on to the Erzgebirge cardboard and cardboard factory in Raschau . It was located there until 1993 and was then given to the Schwarzenberg Railway Museum.  
In 1943, the VW works in Fallersleben received a locomotive to move the works. It remained in various company divisions until 1965 and was then passed on to Rheinstahl Nordseewerke in Emden . She stayed there until the early 1990s and has been with the Ostfriesland Coastal Railway Museum Railway since 2001 .  
Brandenburg city railway
The diesel locomotive was used by the Arado aircraft factory before it was used on the private railway . From 1946 it was listed as number V 95 on the Brandenburg city railway . The whereabouts of the locomotive are not known.
The locomotive with the serial number 26130 was procured in 1939 by the procurement office for airport construction, Berlin, for Achmer airport near Bramsche and after the war it was part of the Deutsche Bundesbahn as Kö 6040 , but was taken out of service again in 1951.
The locomotive then served as a shunting device in the inventory of the Hamburg-Harburg repair shop ( works locomotive 2). The locomotive came to the Meppen-Haselünner Railway at a point in time that was not known in terms of time and was put into operation there in 1967 after major repairs. The locomotive only had a handbrake and could therefore only move two cars. In 1972 the locomotive was shut down. In 1986 she came to the Paderborn Museum Railway in Paderborn . Here it was visually refurbished, but sold to a scrap dealer in 1988 and scrapped in 1991.  
- Eduard Bündgen: The Cologne-Bonn Railway 1891–1992 . EK-Verlag, Freiburg 1994, ISBN 3-88255-502-5 , p. 209–213 (Cologne-Bonn Railway).
- Walter Menzel: The Brandenburg City Railway . Transpress Verlag, Berlin 1984, p. 153–154.
- Website about the KHD A4M 420 R diesel locomotives at www.rangierdiesel.de
- Website about Deutz locomotives before 1954 at www.lokmacher.de
- Data sheet about the KBE with mention of the locomotive V1
- Website of the Schwarzenberg Railway Museum with a mention of the KHD A4M 420 R that has been preserved
- Data sheet about the vehicles of the Brandenburg city railway with mention of the KHD A4M 220 R
- website on the designation of Deutz locomotives
- data sheet about Deutz locomotives A4M 220 R / A4M 420 R on rangierdiesel.de
- Walter Menzel: The Brandenburg city railway . Transpress Verlag, Berlin 1984, p. 154.
- Data sheet about the KHD A4M 220 R locomotive from Portland-Zement on rangierdiesel.de
- Photo of the KHD A4M 220 R locomotive from Portland-Zement on rangierdiesel.de
- Data sheet about the KHD A4M 420 R locomotive from Dynamit AG on rangierdiesel.de
- Photo KHD A4M 420 R 2012 locomotive in the RIM on rangierdiesel.de
- Data sheet about the locomotives of the Schwarzenberg Railway Museum with mention of the KHD A4M 220 R
- Photo of the KHD A4M 220 R exhibited in the Schwarzenberg Railway Museum
- Data sheet about the MKO's KHD A4M 420 R locomotives
- Photo of the KHD A4M 420 R exhibited in the MKO from 2014 on a shunting diesel
- Evert Heusinkveld: The Meppen-Haselünner Railway . Verlag Kenning, Nordhorn 1994, ISBN 3-927587-24-9 , p. 69.
- Data sheet about the Meppen-Haselünner Railway with mention of the D 04