Martin XP2M / P3M - Martin XP2M / P3M
A P3M Martin in flight, 1930.
|Maker||Glenn L. Martin Company|
|User||United States Navy|
|Main Users||United States Army Air Forces|
In 1929, the US Navy commissioned the aeronautical builder, Glenn L. Martin , to develop a patrol seaplane from the P1M Martin, a seaplane that had already been built by the Naval Aircraft Factory, under license with discreet results.
The P1M, the first prototype, was a 22 m medium wingspan biplane, 14 m long and weighing only 3.9 t when empty. It was powered by two Wright Cyclone engines of 525 hp each, a version called P2M which was very similarly powered by WC engines of 575 hp each. In both cases the cockpit was open. Glenn L. Martin reverse-engineered this latest version to develop the P3M prototype. [ 1 ]
The first nine P3M-1s were not ready until 1931. They were sunshade wing floatplanes with open cockpits (much like the CANT Z.501 ) with open cockpits (some cases were closed) powered by two 450 hp Pratt & Whitney engines, with a 18.8 m long and 30.5 m wingspan. The curb weight was 4.53 t and it had a double tail or double drift mounted on a single tail.
These seaplanes made a good impression on the Navy for their performance and some units remained in service until the start of World War II on nearby coastal patrol. The success of these small seaplanes motivated the development and production of the Martin PBM Mariner in 1937 .