RPK-6 Vodopad / RPK-7 Veter - RPK-6 Vodopad / RPK-7 Veter
|RPK-6 Vodopad / RPK-7 Veter|
|Country of origin|
|In service||1969 - present|
|Operators||Soviet Marina , Marina Russian|
|Weight|| RPK-6: 2.445 kg |
|Length|| RPK-6 : 8,200 mm |
RPK-7 : 11,300 mm
|Diameter|| RPK-6 : 533 mm |
RPK-7 : 650 mm
|Effective range||10-35 miles|
|Explosive|| RPK-6 : 82R torpedo or 90R nuclear depth charge |
RPK-7 : 83R torpedo or 86R nuclear depth charge
|Propeller||a solid fuel propellant|
50m throw. |
|Guide system||inercial NII-25 GKAT|
|Launch pad||Vertical launch system and horizontal tubes for submarine torpedoes|
- RPK-6 Waterfall (Russian: RPK-6 Waterfall, "cascade") - diameter 533 mm.
- RPK-7 Veter (Russian: РПК-7 Ветер, "wind") - diameter 650 mm.
The 533 mm cm version carried either the 82R torpedo or the 90R nuclear depth charges. The 650mm version carries the 83R torpedo or 86R nuclear depth charge.
Initially the missile was intended to be launched from the torpedo tubes of submarines. After the shot, it comes out of the water and continues on a ballistic trajectory. When it reaches the pre-programmed target, the charge of conmbate is released. If it is a warhead, it explodes at a predetermined depth.
The main purpose of this weapon is to attack enemy submarines. However, in the case of verisone armed with a nuclear warhead, it is intended to be used against targets, including surface vessels or coastal targets.
The Stallion is a missile submarine capable of being used by both surface and submarine units. Due to its small range, between 50 and 200 km based on estimates, it is not considered a strategic weapon.
Dual serving function, the missile could be fitted with either a RU-100 Veter, 20 kiloton nuclear warhead for use against surface ships, or, alternatively, a RU-100 Vodopad, 40 torpedo type for its use against submarines. [clarification needed] Its longer range of up to 120 kilometers offered an impressive boost to its predecessor, the SS-N-15 starfish, which can only reach half the distance, although this meant replacement of all the old tubes. 533mm torpedo to carry this new 650mm torpedo.
Designed by Novator, it has an inertial guidance system and a solid-fueled rocket motor.
Since 1992, the versions with warheads were withdrawn from service.
In general, two main variants were built, differing based on diameter: Vodopod RPK-6 (NATO code name SS-N-16A) diameter 530 mm, and see RPK-7 (NATO code name SS-N-16B) , diameter 650 mm .
SS-N-16A Stallion , caliber 530 mm Can be launched by all Russian and Soviet submarines, has a length of 8.17 meters.
- RPK-6 Vodopod / 83R with 200 kt nuclear depth charge as a warhead. Reach 37 km.
- RPK-6 Vodopod / 83RN a UMGT-1 (NATO: Type-40) torpedo as a warhead. Reach 37 km.
- RPK-6 Vodopod / 84R with a 200 kt nuclear depth charge as a warhead. Range of 50 km.
- RPK-6 Vodopod / 84RN a UMGT-1 as a torpedo head. Range of 50 km.
- RPK-6 Vodopod-NK with a MAR-3M or 1M-MPT, as a torpedo head. Reach 75 km.
SS-N-16B Stallion , 650mm caliber. Due to its diameter, it can only be used by some classes (Akula, Sierra, Typhoon and Oscar).
- RPK-7 Veter / 86R with a UMGT-1 as a torpedo head. Reach 75 km.
- RPK-7 Veter / 88R with a kT 10-20 nuclear warhead bomb like water. 80 km range.
- RPK-7 Veter / 100R with April 3M as torpedo head. Reach more than 80 km.
References and external links
- Article in Russian
- Article in Russian
- FAS English Article
- Autor: Shirokorad AB. Título: Encyclopedia of Domestic Rocket Weapons 1817-2002
- Autor: Shirokorad AB. Título: Part V. Missile weapons. Section III. Anti-submarine missiles. Chapter 34. PLO missile complex RPK-2 "Blizzard" (Parte V. Misiles. Sección III. Misiles antisubmarinos. Capítulo 34. sistema de misiles ASW RPK-6 y RPK-7 "Blizzard"), ISBN 5-17-001874- 6 , ed. AST (publishing house), año 2001