Altmarkt 4–6 / Wilsdruffer Strasse 15–21 - Altmarkt 4–6 / Wilsdruffer Straße 15–21
The air raids on Dresden towards the end of the Second World War severely damaged or destroyed all buildings on the Altmarkt.
On September 26, 1952, an old market competition was announced. It was specified that the old market should be enlarged to 20,000 m².  On November 20, 1952, the jury met, with Herbert Schneider winning the main prize. Schneider received the order to submit a revised design together with Johannes Rascher . The State Office for Monument Preservation raised an objection to the Altmarkt competition and said that the height of the main cornice on the Altmarkt, also known as the “Festival Hall of the City of Dresden” , was originally 18 m and should not exceed 21 m. In the revised design by Schneider and Rascher, the ridge height was 33 m; the ground plan of the old market was enlarged.  Walter Ulbricht laid the foundation stone for the reconstruction of the old market on May 31, 1953 .  According to Walter Ulbricht, the plans of the architects Schneider and Rascher testify that "it is possible to integrate the historical monuments into the new buildings so that the overall composition of Dresden will secure its old fame as a city of art" . 
The building complex Altmarkt No. 4-6 and Wilsdruffer Straße 15-21 was built from 1953 to 1956 according to designs by architects Herbert Schneider , Kurt Röthig, Hans Konrad and Kollektiv. The interior design was done by H. Zimmermann and collective.
The complex consists of a 6- or 7-storey building. This represents the eastern front of the Altmarkt square over a length of 99 meters and part of the southern development of Wilsdruffer Strasse over a length of 120 meters. An arcade passage was created to get to the Weißen Gasse . The building comprises 120 apartments and 1 to 2-storey shops.  In line with the cultural program at that time, the construction was carried out in accordance with the 16 principles of urban development in an architectural style that continued the national cultural heritage . The result was the reconstruction of the old market in 1953 in the style of socialist classicism , which historicized the Dresden Baroquequoted. Jürgen Paul describes the east side of the building, which "deliberately, more or less skillfully quotes Dresden Baroque," as the "most urban and aesthetically effective development of the new inner city". 
- Jürgen Paul: Dresden - the city and its architecture . In: Gilbert Lupfer, Bernhard Sterra and Martin Wörner (eds.): Architekturführer Dresden . Dietrich Reimer Verlag, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-496-01179-3 .
- Walter May, Werner Pampel, Hans Konrad: Architectural Guide GDR, Dresden District . VEB Verlag für Bauwesen, Berlin 1979.
- Matthias Lerm: Farewell to old Dresden - Loss of historical building fabric after 1945 . Forum Verlag, Leipzig 1993, ISBN 3-86151-047-2 .
- Herbert Schneider: "Dresden-Altmarkt, Ostseite." In: Deutsche Architektur Heft 2, year 1954, p. 128.
- Lerm, S. 103–104.
- Lerm, S. 105.
- Lerm, S. 107.
- Lerm, S. 110.
- Lerm, S. 108–109.
- May et al., P. 22 image no. 6 (Altmarkt Ostseite No. 4–6 / Ernst-Thälmann-Str. 15–21, 1953/56 according to plans by Arch. H.Schneider, K.Röthig, H.Konrad and collective).
- Paul, XXV.