A. & R. Adam - A. & R. Adam
|A. & R. Adam|
|legal form||is. K.|
|Branch||Postcard publisher, specialist shop|
A. & R. Adam is a German publishing house and agency , mainly for the distribution of picture postcards and picture print products. The company is based in Dresden and has developed into the oldest family business of its kind in the Saxon state capital.
The company was founded by the two businessmen Arno Adam († 1925) and Rudolf Adam († 1948), hence the company name A. & R. Adam , which is still in use today . Both brothers founded Adam's Kunstverlag in Dresden in 1912 as an open trading company , the purpose of which, in addition to publishing postcards, was to sell greeting cards and paper goods in wholesale and retail. The publishing house was located in the old town of Dresden , Am See 18. The art publishing house quickly gained momentum because the postcard trade flourished enormously before and during the First World War. During this time there were a number of similar publishers in Dresden and the surrounding area who published postcards.
After the end of the First World War, Adam's Kunstverlag changed its domicile one block further to Annenstraße 26 and now also had a retail store. This was accompanied by the renaming to A. & R. Adam . From then on, the print products were produced in Leipzig by the Emil Pinkau & Co. AG printing company. Over the years, the publisher's program has also been expanded to include congratulatory , greeting and Christmas cards as well as fan-folds and art prints . In addition, books, especially illustrated books, and calendars with photo motifs and puzzles are published today.
In 1926, the publishing house was also taken over by Philipp Krebs, Dresden, which had mainly specialized in postcards from Saxon Switzerland .
During the bombing raid on Dresden in the night of February 13-14, 1945, the publishing house at Annenstrasse 26 was completely destroyed. Three employees of the publishing house died. After the end of the war, Fritz Adam continued to operate the publishing house at 6 Kleine Meißner Gasse and from 1968 at 9 Alttolkewitz .  The 1971 incipient attempts by the dominant East German view card company image and home to take over private view map publishers, Fritz Adam could resist. In 1989, Hans-Jörg Kluge took over the publishing house from Fritz Adam.
The postcard motifs come mainly from Dresden and the surrounding area, especially Saxon Switzerland and the eastern Ore Mountains . Several postcards, such as the popular motif of the view from the banks of the Elbe up to the Bastei , saw numerous editions. Based on the card numbers assigned, it can be assumed that the publisher had published around 10,000 different postcards by 1945. Today the existing picture archive contains about twice as many postcards.