A. Hartleben’s Verlag - A. Hartleben’s Verlag
A. Hartleben's publishing house gained popularity around the turn of the 20th century through its translations of Jules Vernes , Alexandre Dumas and short stories by Peter Rosegger . However, fiction and travelogues were reduced. As a specialist book publisher, it rose under the leadership of Eugen Marx, who was interested in technical developments, so that at the best of times around 1910, 75 to 100 volumes were produced annually. These numbers shrank dramatically in the two world wars and ushered in the end of creative publishing activities. With a non-capricious break with tradition, the publishing house was seen as a new beginning in the post-war period by Walter Rob, whose family was the owner until 2007.
1802–1863 Conrad Adolf Hartleben
The founder of the publishing house Conrad Adolf Hartleben (born August 26, 1778 in Mainz ; † April 5, 1863) was born as the son of a lawyer teaching in Mainz. In 1802, at the age of twenty-four, he bought Sigmund von Ivanics' bookstore in Ofen . In 1803 he received permission to set up a bookstore in Pest and opened it in June 1804 as a bookstore and publishing house. With great idealistic commitment and commercial skill, he earned a reputation for the flourishing company that was widely known in the monarchy. In 1844 he moved the company headquarters to Vienna, which is more conveniently locatedand operates under the name "CA Hartleben's publishing expedition in Pest, Vienna and Leipzig". Weidmann's Austrian mass catalog from 1845 refers to 508 works by the publisher that were published in the Austrian imperial state. In 1859, Conrad Adolf Hartleben helped found the Association of Austrian Booksellers . Many awards are the publishing founder to participate, he or she is in 1861 the golden medal for art and science of Emperor Franz Joseph I. granted. The publisher was committed to old age and died at the age of 85.
1863–1869 Adolf Hartleben
After the death of the company founder, the lines of business for the range (Pest) and the publishing house (Vienna) are divided into independent departments and ownership structures. The founder's great-nephew, Adolf Hartleben (* 1835 in Neu-Gradiska ; † November 18, 1903 in Blasewitz near Dresden), bookseller, takes over the entire German and Hungarian publishing house. Thereupon the publishing house in Pest is sold in order to consolidate the structure. As a newcomer to the industry in 1864, Adolf Hartleben got involved with the young Eugen Marx from Leipzig, whom he had met during his training as a bookseller, at A. Hartleben.
1869–1918 Eugen Marx
Eugen Marx (* 1844 in Leipzig ; † June 11, 1934 in Graz ) received power of attorney in 1869. The publishing house for Hungarian school books in Pest is taken over by Gustav Heckenast , the publishing house for Hungarian fiction by M. Rath. Adolf Hartleben moved to Leipzig in 1870 and increasingly withdrew from business life in the following years. In 1871 Adolf Hartleben sold his share in the assortment bookstore Hartleben & Comp. in Pest to both partners August Röber and Hermann Starke. Their bookshop firm Hartleben & Comp. is born in Röber & Starke in Pest in 1872renamed to avoid confusion with the parent company A. Hartleben. The "range-division" "bookstore for periodic literature" is 1,873 from their stocks and connections without assets and liabilities, to Messrs Fr. Leo & Co. sold. In 1875 the business premises were relocated to Walfischgasse 1, on the corner of Kärntner Strasse , and Eugen Marx became a partner under the company “A. Hartleben in Vienna ”. In 1877 he procured a Remington typewriter for the Comptoir and thus probably one of the first of its kind in Vienna. Shortly before his death, he has long been selling in BlasewitzAs a private citizen, Adolf Hartleben took his share in the publishing, range and commission bookstore “A. Hartleben ”to his Associé Eugen Marx in 1892. Eugen Marx, now 74 years old, was hoping that his only son would return from the war. In the war years there was a great shortage of male workers, so that all business operations had to be taken over by the senior citizens and women and production soon ceased entirely. Eugen Marx resigned from the management of the company in 1918 and handed it over to his son Richard Marx (born June 25, 1885 in Vienna- Dornbach, who had returned as first lieutenant and battery commander); † September 27, 1959 in Vienna) and moved back to Graz, where he studied chemistry in his free time at the University of Graz.
1918–1947 Richard Marx
The commission business is sold to the company "Rudolf Lechner und Sohn" in 1921 and the branch "Delivery of German publishers" is founded in 1927. In 1932, A. Hartleben took over all of the shares in "Wilhelm Frick Ges. MbH" and moved from Singerstraße 12 to the former premises of Frick in Vienna, Graben 27.
1947–1950 Rudolf Wolfram
The sole proprietorship A. Hartleben is converted into the A. Hartleben open trading company in 1947 . The partners with sole power of representation are Hugo Keller, Rudolf Wolfram and Lisbeth Michalek.
1950–2000 Walter Rob
Hugo Keller and Lisbeth Michalek left the trading company in 1950, Walter Rob and Hilde Marx, daughter of Richard Marx, came in for it, who left the company in 1952. Richard Marx was to remain with the company until 1959 when he died unexpectedly before he retired. Rudolf Wolfram also left the company in 1954, so that from then on the company was named after its sole owner: A. Hartleben, owner Dr. Rob . Walter Rob dies in 2000.
2000–2007 Marion Unger-Rob
Marion Unger-Rob, the daughter of Walter Rob, took over the overall management of the company. In 2007 the influence of the Rob family ended at Hütteldorfer Straße 114.
Since 2007 Markus Duran
The store of the bookstore on Hütteldorfer Straße in Penzing was continued until June 2009 by the new owner Markus Duran with the establishment of HERA A. Hartleben GmbH and then closed. The branch name has continued to exist since then as HERA A. Hartleben GmbH at Othmargasse 25 in 1200 Vienna.
|Name||Number of volumes / parts||Publication period|
|Chemical-technical library||423 volumes||1875–1949|
|Edinburger Cabinets library for historical, geographical, natural history and biographical knowledge||14 parts||1836–1838|
|Library of Railways||8 volumes||1884–1887|
|Electro-technical library||66 volumes||1882–1911|
|Library of common medicine||4 volumes||–1896|
|Hartleben's court library||1 year||1889|
|Historical library for educated readers from all backgrounds||9 volumes||1830–1833|
|Library of Arts||11 volumes||1870–1886|
|Mechanical-technical library||23 volumes||1889–1924|
|Hartleben's Library of Austrian Laws||19 booklets||1885–1889|
|Hartleben’s Sportbibliothek||13 volumes||1880–1895|
|Linguistics Library||137 volumes||1886–1950|
|Scientific pocket library||7 volumes||1909–1911|
|Historical reading cabinet of excellent historical works, memoirs and journeys of all nations in the most careful translation||28 parts||1850–1854|
|Natural history cabinet of the animal kingdom||10 volumes||1836–1842|
|Hartleben's Chronicle of Time||9 booklets||1882–1884|
|Railway law decisions of the Austrian-Hungarian courts (by Victor Röll )||10 years (10 parts in total)||1887–1896|
|Hartleben's Illustrated Guide||67 volumes||1880–1914|
|Hartleben’s Katechismen||8 works||1879–1880|
|Miniature paintings from geography and ethnology, of the customs and traditions, the way of life and the costumes of the various peoples of all parts of the world, with landscape and city projects, views of palaces and images of other remarkable monuments of older and more recent architecture in general. With 500 coppers.||50 ribbons||1826–1828|
|Latest inventions and experiences in the fields of practical technology, electrical engineering, trade, industry, agriculture and housekeeping. Founded by Theodor Koller. With numerous illustrations. 13 issues or 1 volume per year||4th year to 47th year (year 1 to 3 at Manz)||1877–1921|
|The legal documents of the Austrian railways (by Rudolf Schuster, Edler von Bonnot, August Weeber)||20 booklets (or 3 volumes)||1889–1896|
|German review for geography and statistics||37 vintages||1878–1915|
|Collection of non-profit popular scientific lectures||18 booklets (or 2 volumes)||1876–1877|
|Hartleben’s Spielbücher||7 works||1883–1888|
|The Philosopher's Stone. Entertainment and instruction in all areas of knowledge, for home and family. Edited by Amand Freiherr von Schweiger-Lerchenfeld||23 volumes (or 46 volumes)||1889–1919|
|Voices from Austria||7 booklets||1881–1883|
|Tables, tables, measures and weights by Eduard Bratassevic||26 works||1872–1905|
|Political-statistical table of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy||6 years||1876–1882|
|Magazine for railways and steamships||10 years||1889–1897|
|International magazine for the electrical exhibition in Vienna 1883||24 week numbers||1883|
|Electrical engineering journal||2-6 vintage||1884–1888|
|Hartlebens Atlanten||5 titles published in several editions||1889–1911|
The publishing house A. Hartleben. A monograph (PDF; 10.6 MB), diploma thesis for obtaining the master’s degree in philosophy . Faculty of Humanities, University of Vienna, Vienna 1995.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Hartleben, Conrad Adolph . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 7th part. Imperial and Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1861, p. 406 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Ernst Kelchner: Hartleben, Konrad Adolph . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 10, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1879, p. 668 f.