Aabenraa Amts Jernbaner - Aabenraa Amts Jernbaner
|Løgumkloster – Aabenraa – Gråsten|
Line network of the Apenrader Kreisbahn
|Route length:||86 km|
|Gauge :||1000 mm (Meterspur)|
|Maximum slope :||20 ‰|
|Minimum radius :||150 m|
|Top speed:||30 km / h|
|Operating points and routes |
The Aabenraa Amts Jernbaner ( German Apenrader Kreis-Kleinbahn - AaAJ ) was owned by the Danish district Aabenraa Amt . The railway lines were built and operated under the name of Kleinbahnen of the Aabenraa district in the north of the province of Schleswig-Holstein when southern Jutland belonged to Prussia . Its two interconnected routes were meter-gauge railways with a total length of 86 kilometers.
Based on the model of the southern neighboring district of Flensburg , which in 1885 opened the Reich's first railway line in the district administration (Kreisbahn), the Aabenraa district set up a railway line to make the district area better accessible to traffic.
Aabenraa – Gravenstein railway line
On February 13, 1899, the narrow-gauge railway was opened from the district town of Aabenraa , where the district station was not far from the state railway station, to Gravenstein (32 km). This place only got a connection to the state railway (from Sonderburg to Flensburg and Tingleff ) in 1901 . In order to avoid too many expensive engineering structures and to connect as many places as possible, the railway was laid out with extremely curvy curves. As a result, long travel times were inevitable. The railway soon acquired the name “Æ Kringelbåhn”.
Aabenraa – Lügumkloster railway line
The 54 km long northern route to Lügumkloster , opened on May 8, 1901, was extremely winding. They tried to connect as many places as possible to this one line. It led from Aabenraa to the “Nordertor” stop, which was even closer to the state train station than the Kleinbahnhof, first over the hilly landscape of the Loit peninsula , past the Knivsberg , crossed the main Hamburg – Fredericia line in Haberslund near Osterlügum and swung further to the southwest in a relatively straight east-west direction to Lügumkloster. Here the Holmplatz stop was at the eastern end of the village, while the end point was north of the train station of the short oneBranch line of the state railway was remote in the south of the spot.
Lock position north
During the construction of the northern security position, several branch lines were laid from the northern route to the fortification wall. Only during this time was there a connection to the Hadersleben circular railway via these routes, including the Branderup – Osterterp railway line , which was no longer used after construction was discontinued.
In Lügumkloster, Haberslund and Gravenstein there were opportunities to change to the full-gauge state railway, as the small stations were in the immediate vicinity of the state stations. In Aabenraa, the Nordertor stop was closer to the state train station than the small train station.
In 1911 six pairs of trains ran daily to Gravenstein, four on the northern route, plus one pair of trains from Aabenraa to Haberslund. 296,778 people and 52,688 t of goods were transported.
Eleven two-axle tram locomotives were used , as well as 23 passenger cars, four post / baggage cars and 70 freight cars, and additional freight cars were procured for the fortress construction. Only a few vehicles could be sold to Haderslev Amts Jernbaner after the closure , most of them were scrapped.
These routes, some of which were extremely uneconomical, did not allow the Apenrader Kreisbahn a long service life after a few successful years before the First World War , as soon as the competition from the road became stronger. Another problem was that there were no civil connections to the Haderslebener Kreisbahn and other neighboring routes. After renovations in the First World War were not carried out, the administration of the Aabenraa office, which had become the legal successor to the district after the transfer to Denmark , decided to close the two lines, which took place in 1926.
Replacement route after the shutdown
Replacement was only created on the western section from Lügumkloster to Hellewatt . There, the Danish State Railways built a standard-gauge railway on the old route . This was built as an extension of the old branch line from Bredebro ( Marschenbahn ) to Lügumkloster and took the direct route east of Hellewatt to Rothenkrug on the main line Hamburg – Fredericia , where the trains could continue to Aabenraa. This, including the old Bredebro-Lügumkloster route, was given up again in 1936 and has the sad fame of being the shortest-lived railway in Denmark's history.
Most of the station buildings have been preserved, some of which can still be recognized as such. In the vicinity of the station Knapp in the parish of Loit northeast of Aabenraa, a viaduct over the country road has been very well preserved. In this area, the embankment still exists as a cycling and hiking trail. Parts of the railway embankment west of the road to Flensburg can also be seen well south of the city.
- Birger Wilcke: Æ Kringelbahn. 1982, (DJK 44), ISBN 87-87050-23-4
- LH Hansen: Aabenraa Amts Jernbaner 1899–1926. 1982, ISBN 87-981352-0-1
- Gerd Wolff: German small and private railways . Schleswig Holstein 2 (western part). tape 13 . EK-Verlag, Freiburg im Breisgau 2012, ISBN 978-3-88255-672-8 , p. 347–349.
- Photo of a locomotive during the construction of the fortifications. Archived from the original on June 21, 2015 ; accessed on August 21, 2018 .
- Historical summary. Sønderjyske sogne. Retrieved August 21, 2018 (Danish).
- Æ Kleinbahn i Aabenraa Amt. In: Dengang.dk. May 3, 2010, accessed on August 21, 2018 (Danish).
- Stationsnamen nach: NAMES OF PARISHES, MUNICIPALITIES AND TRAFFIC PLACES IN NORTH AND MELLEMSLESVIG. (Nicht mehr online verfügbar.) April 23, 1919, archiviert vom Original am on Jan. 19, 2017 ; Retrieved August 21, 2018 (Danish).
- Connectingsecurity position north. Archived from the original on January 30, 2016 ; accessed on August 21, 2018 .