Aachen scratching factory Cassalette - Aachener Kratzenfabrik Cassalette
The Aachener Kratzenfabrik Cassalette is a family business founded in 1822 for the production of scratches . Its name goes back to the Cassalette family, whose roots lie in the village of Dolhain , which at that time belonged to the Département de l'Ourthe .
Peter Joseph Cassalette
Peter Joseph Cassalette (* 1789 in Dolhain; † 1849 in Aachen) came as a cloth manufacturer from Dolhain to Aachen at the beginning of the 19th century, where he founded his scratching factory in 1822. He built this in the Zum Horn house at Jakobstrasse 24, a house built in 1659 and expanded in 1757 by Johann Joseph Couven in the Rococo style . By 1845 the company rose to become the largest scratch factory in Aachen. Already earlier, in 1837, the Cassalette , who had meanwhile been appointed to the Council of Commerce , also became a shareholder in the AG Drahtfabrikkompagnie zu Aachen and Eschweilerlisted. He was married to Marie Anne Laurenty, whose son Jacques Joseph Cassalette (born September 26, 1812 in Dolhain) later continued the company.
Jacques Joseph Cassalette
After the company takeover, Jacques Joseph Cassalette managed to continue to expand the company. The decisive factor for this was that, together with the Cologne-based company Felten & Guilleaume, after many years of attempts, he succeeded in developing scrapers made of steel wire, which have now completely replaced the iron wire scrapers that were previously used. In addition to managing the company, Jacques Joseph, who has meanwhile also been appointed to the Council of Commerce, was also a member of the board of the Rheinische Eisenbahn and president of the Aachen Commercial Court . He was married to Jeanette Hermann from Burtscheid, Daughter of the dye works owner and member of the city council and mayor Nikolaus Hermann. Their son Eduard (1840-1891) later took over the scratching factory in the third generation.
Eduard Cassalette, married to Marie Nellessen (1851-1888), daughter of the textile manufacturer Theodor Nellessen and Josephine Lingens, moved from 1874 production of the thriving company that now as Cassalette & Co. changed its name  , in the Aachen Oligsbendenstraße 22nd
In keeping with his class, Eduard Cassalette had a new city palace built by the Aachen architect Eduard Linse , the Villa Cassalette , today's Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum , between 1883 and 1888 . Since his wife Marie died shortly after the villa was completed and Eduard himself followed her into death only three years later, on January 27, 1891, they left five children of five, seven, nine, 12 and 17 who were still underage Years. The police director and later police chief Guido von Matuschka-Greiffenclau then first moved into the Villa Cassalettebefore the city of Aachen became the owner of the city palace in 1898. The factory itself was continued by the community of heirs and the shareholders.
Development from the turn of the century
In 1906 Cassalette & Co. merged with AGHermann under the management of Antoine Hermann and now traded under the name Aachener Kratzenfabrik Cassalette & Cie / AGHermann GmbH. This made it possible to advance the expansion of the individual departments and to coordinate the various branches of manufacture with one another. As a result, the still existing dependence on foreign countries, especially England, could be lifted and, in return, the company's own exports could be boosted internationally. In addition to scraper fittings for the carded yarn industry, worsted scrapers, asbestos scrapers, scrapers for jute and hemp spinning, cigarette scrapers, as well as needle scrapers and rough scrapers for wool and cotton roughing and hat manufacture have now also been created.
In 1924 the still prospering company acquired the needle factory built by Arnold Herren in 1902 at Krefelder Straße 147. Here Cassalette & Hermann set up a new mechanical engineering department in order to be able to manufacture the machines required for the scratching production itself. The company operated this system until the Second World War . In 1942, a boiler certificate for the subsequent Anton Kinting uniform factory was recorded at this address , and from 1954 onwards, the Aachen linen factory Schlichting took over this factory, which it also became owner in 1959.
- Aachener Kratzenfabriken Cassalette & Cie.-AG Herman GmbH Aachen. In: Albert Huyskens (arr.): Aachen. (= Germany's urban development . ) 1st edition, Deutscher Architektur- und Industrie-Verlag (DARI), Berlin-Halensee 1922, pp. 159–161. / 2nd edition, DARI, Berlin-Halensee 1925, pp. 242–245. / 3rd edition, DARI, Berlin-Halensee 1928, pp. 162-163.
- Ingeborg Schild , Elisabeth Jansen: The Aachen East Cemetery. Mayer, Aachen 1991, p. 334 (Ostfriedhof).
- Hartmut Schainberg: The Belgian influence on early industrialization in the Aachen area, approx. 1820-1860. Dissertation, University of Trier, 1997, p. 189, p. 281.
- Peter Johannes Droste , Michael Käding (ed.): Made in Aachen. Erdtmann, Herzogenrath / Aachen 2000. S. 37ff. (out of print, online as a PDF document )
- Address book for Aachen and Burtscheid . Stercken, 1885, p. 69.