Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys - Aachener Stiftung Kathy Beys
The Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys is a foundation under private law based in Aachen . The aim of the environmental foundation is to provide society with food for thought and options for action for a future worth living in. 
The foundation was established in 1988 and was initially called "Mensch und Natur". Kathy Beys-Baldin (1949 - 1995), daughter of the Martini-Sommer entrepreneurial family in Aachen, laid the financial foundation for the foundation together with her husband Stephan Baldin. After the death of Kathy Beys-Baldin, the foundation was named after it and has been run by Stephan Baldin  ever since . Essential suggestions for the subject of resource productivity came from the former local politician Stephanie Weis-Gerhardt , who volunteered for the foundation from 1995 to 2008. Until 2016, the foundation was exclusively operational with its own projects, since 2017 as a support foundation . When Stephan Baldin moved to the foundation's board of trustees, Ruth Malangré-Baldin  became the foundation's board member in 2019 .
Goals and Activities
The projects from 1995 to 2016 focused on the interface between economy and ecology .  By commissioning studies, publishing scientific argumentation papers  and organizing parliamentary evenings  , experts and the general public were informed. The foundation itself was asked to provide opinions as an expert.  One focus of the foundation's work was accompanying sustainable regional development.
- Factor X settlements 
In pilot projects since 2011, the foundation and partners have tried a new way beyond the mere saving of heating energy  . In two settlements in Inden and Eschweiler, buildings were erected that save at least half of the resources compared to the KfW 55 energy standard.   
- Home 2035 
From 2010 to 2013, the foundation worked together with the Aachen City Region on a project on the future of this region. The most important instrument was the scenario technique , a communication process involving local citizens.  
- India 2050 
From 1999 to 2016 the foundation accompanied the process surrounding the Inden open-cast lignite mine .  In the “Indeland 2050” project, visions for this area were developed and published in the years 2008–2009. 
- Aachen Forums 
Between 2000 and 2005 the foundation organized four "Aachen Forums" with well-known representatives of the sustainability discussion on the subject of resource productivity. 
In order to make the foundation's ideas accessible to a broader public, the foundation operates various information portals on the Internet:
- The Internet portal Factor X  has been dealing with the subject of resource productivity and effectiveness since 2003. 
- The Lexicon of Sustainability  was designed in 2000 and provides information on the content, developments and goals of sustainable action . 
- Since May 2014, the internet platform UnserAC  has been bringing together citizens of the Aachen city region who are campaigning for small and large changes in their environment with their own initiatives. With the associated club cadastre, council information system from all municipalities and an event calendar, the website provides comprehensive information about all activities within the city region and encourages participation.
- Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys: Sustainable Economic Management in the Aachen Area, Aachen 1998.
- Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys: 1st Aachen Forum. Our sustainable future. Strategies for the 21st Century. Perspectives, opportunities, sustainability, Aachen 2001.
- Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys: Indeland 2050, Aachen 2009.
- Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys: My Eco Pass. An environmental project for children, Aachen 2010. (PDF)
- Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys: heimat 2035, Aachen 2011.
- Regionality & sustainability. Strategy & tactics. 25 years of the Aachen Foundation
- Board of Trustees - Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys. Accessed January 31, 2019 .
- Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys, 2018: The Foundation - Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys. Retrieved August 28, 2018 .
- Board of Directors: Ruth Malangré-Baldin. Accessed January 31, 2019 .
- "Great opportunities with resource productivity", in: ÖkologischesWirtschaften, No. 4, 2005
- Factsheet "Measuring Resource Extraction"
- Parliamentary evenings
- E.g. on the subject of emissions trading
- Factor-X quarters - Aachen Foundation Kathy Beys. Retrieved October 1, 2018 .
- cities better for the future. In: Salzburger Nachrichten. December 23, 2013, accessed October 1, 2018 .
- Structural development in Indeland. Final documentation. Development company Indeland :, pp. 53 - 62 , accessed on October 1, 2018 .
- Factor X, basis for building owners, architects and planners. In: www.inden-seeviertel.de. Retrieved October 1, 2018 .
- "Neue Höfe Dürwiß": Unique building project is taking shape. In: Aachener Zeitung. June 10, 2016, accessed October 1, 2018 .
- Future program of the Aachen City Region ( Memento from July 19, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Heimat 2035 ( Memento from February 12, 2013 in the web archive archive.today )
- Aachener Nachrichten, May 27, 2009
- Aachen Forums
- It informed z. B. Dennis Meadows , Friedrich Schmidt-Bleek , Franz Josef Radermacher , Fritz Vahrenholt and Mathis Wackernagel
- " resources worries scientists worldwide", in: Wirtschaftswoche, September 19, 2007.
- "Lexicon of Sustainability", in: Praxis Geographie, August 2007.