Aaker ferry bridge - Aakerfährbrücke
|Aaker ferry bridge|
|construction||Tied arch bridge|
|overall length||302 m|
|opening||March 16, 1997|
The Aaker ferry bridge is a four-lane road bridge over the Ruhr in Duisburg . It connects the Duisburg districts Duissern and Meiderich . It is part of an ensemble of bridges that is referred to as the Ruhraue bridge landscape on the Route of Industrial Culture .
The Ruhr has been crossed on a ford in this area since the early days of settlement . Later the Ruhr was crossed on a ferry (called Aaker ferry ), first mentioned in 1359 , most recently about 150 meters downstream from today's bridge.
In order to cope with the steadily increasing volume of traffic at the end of the 19th century, the first fixed Ruhr crossing was built between 1902 and 1904. Named after the former Aaker ferry bridge, it was planned by the bridge building company Harkort (Duisburg) and decorated by the Berlin architect Bruno Möhring . Since March 24, 1907, the tram route from Burgplatz to Meiderich Südbahnhof has also been running over the Aaker ferry bridge .
This bridge was badly damaged in autumn 1944, but opened to traffic again in almost unchanged form in 1946.
After the volume of traffic and vehicle loads had risen steadily over the decades, structural damage made a completely new building necessary in the early 1990s. After demolition of the old bridge was on the old abutments a 180 meter long temporary bridge from Krupp Type D placed over which the tram was out single track while the road was diverted spacious.
To the east, parallel to the makeshift bridge, a spacious arched bridge was built which, in addition to four lanes, also includes pedestrian and cycle paths that are wide on both sides . Until the aboveground tram line from Duissern to Meiderich was closed in 2000, the tram shared the middle lanes with road traffic, and the tracks on the bridge are still there today.
- The old Aaker ferry bridge on www.baufachinformation.de