|Roman city and archaeological site|
Location of Andelo in the Iberian Peninsula
|Entity||Roman city and archaeological site|
|• Country||Roman empire|
Andelo [ 1 ] , or Andelos [ 2 ] [ 3 ] was an ancient city Roman , located in the current Muruzábal of Andión , an area of the municipality of Mendigorría ( Navarra , Spain ). It was in the territory of the Basques , and it was an important commercial and transport center of Roman Hispania .
Before the Roman settlement, there was a small town belonging to the Iron Age culture , from the 4th and 3rd centuries BC. The houses were decorated with opus signinum floor of the first century, the city I and II.
The hydraulic complex of the city is one of the most outstanding remains. It is made up of the Iturránduz dam (actually two, found in 1980 and 1983), a canal, and a castellum aquae or water distribution reservoir. [ 4 ]
The mosaic of the Triumph of Bacchus is exhibited in the museum of the site and a bronze plaque dedicated to Apollo has been found . However, the most notable discovery is an inscription found in 1993, which contains the phrase "Likine abuloRaune ekien bilbiliaRs" written in Iberian . [ 5 ]
The greatest knowledge of the city is due to the excavations of the 1980s, directed until 2000 by the archaeologist María Ángeles Mezquíriz Irujo . [ 6 ] You can visit the remains of the city in the Archaeological Museum of Andelo . [ 7 ]
- Castiella Rodríguez, 2003 , p. 40
- Mezquíri z Irujo, 2004 , p. 179
- "The Government of Navarra publishes the book 'Andelo ciudad romana', of which María Ángeles Mezquíriz is the author" . "" The archaeological site of Andelo (or Andelos, as it may also be called), declared a Site of Cultural Interest by Order 128/1995 "".
- Sáenz Ridruejo, Fernando (1973), "The Roman dam of Iturránduz" , Public Works Magazine 120 (3093): 33-40
- María Ángeles Mezquíriz: "Pavement of 'opus signinum' with Iberian inscription in Andelos" , Works of Archeology of Navarra 10 (1991-92), pp. 365-367. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- "The magazine 'Trabajos de Arqueología Navarra' dedicates its latest issue to the work of Mª Ángeles Mezquíriz" . www.navarra.es . Retrieved April 16, 2018 .
- City council of Mendigorría: Andelos, Roman city .
- Castiella Rodríguez , Amparo (2003). Caja de Ahorros de Navarra, ed. On the Roman roads of Navarra . ISBN 978-84-95746-68-9 . Archived from the original on May 24, 2016 . Retrieved May 5, 2019 .
- Mezquíriz Irujo , María Ángeles (2004). "Andelos: stratigraphic sequence and chronological evolution" . Navarra archeology works (17): 179-192. ISSN 0211-5174 . Archived from the original on April 6, 2011 . Retrieved May 18, 2019 .
- Mezquíriz Irujo , María Ángeles (2009). Prince of Viana Institution, ed. Andelo, Roman city . Pamplona. p. 206. ISBN 978-84-235-3176-9 .