Elsewhere. Alone in Africa - Anderswo. Allein in Afrika
|Original title||Elsewhere. Alone in Africa|
|Country of production||Germany|
|Age rating||FSK 0|
Anselm Pahnke, |
|script||Anselm Pahnke, |
|production||Evaluates Studios GmbH|
|music||Jan Finck, |
The German documentary Elswo. In Africa alone from 2018 is a travel report by Anselm Pahnke, who crossed the African continent from south to north on his bike in 2013 and 2014 . The film had its premiere on December 13, 2018 in Hamburg's Abaton   and has already been shown in over 300 cinemas in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland.  In the 50th week of play, the film had 100,000 viewers.  "Elsewhere. Alone in Africa ”was awarded the Gilde Film Prize in the category“ Best Documentary 2019 ”  at the film art fair in Leipzig .
Anselm Pahnke, who comes from Hamburg, began a bicycle tour in 2013 after completing his bachelor's degree in oceanography and geophysics . With two friends, he first traveled north by bike from South Africa . However, the two friends soon had to break off the trip for private reasons, whereupon Pahnke decided to travel on alone.  The film is mainly about the following part of the journey and Pahnke's encounters, experiences and his thoughts during the more than 400-day journey through fifteen African countries.  The film ends with the crossing of the Suez Canal in Egypt, but Pahnke then traveled on his bicycle through the Near and Middle East to China and from there across the Himalayas to Southeast Asia and Australia .
According to his own account, Pahnke did not plan to produce a (cinema) film from his recordings during his trip; the idea for this came some time after his return to Germany.  The approximately 40 hours of film material were thus only created with a simple compact camera . Avalia Studios GmbH took care of the project from post-production as producer and distributor. The distribution of the film was partly financed by crowdfunding ;  Pahnke earned almost 20,000 euros. 
Guild Film Award 2019
- Award as best documentary film 
- Official website
- Elsewhere. In Africa alone, the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Bianca Zawadiak ( NDR ): Anselm Pahnke: Documentary about a bike tour through Africa. TV report for DAS! , September 18, 2018 (accessed November 17, 2019).
- Thematic and aesthetic background information (pdf), film & curriculum from the Institute for Cinema and Film Culture
- Release certificate for elsewhere. Alone in Africa . Voluntary self-regulation of the film industry (PDF; test number: 183419 / K).
- elsewhere. Alone in Africa . Startnext , accessed February 5, 2019 .
- Through Africa alone - 15,000 kilometers in the saddle. In: Spiegel Online. November 28, 2018, accessed February 5, 2019 .
- Overview cinemas. Official website of the film, accessed February 5, 2019 .
- Laia Gonzalez: Homepage film. Retrieved April 1, 2019 .
- Shortlist for the Guild Film Awards 2019. September 3, 2019, accessed on October 16, 2019 (German).
- Jan-Ole Gersters LARA and Bon Joon Hos PARASITE among the winners of the renowned Gilde Film Prize. In: Filmkunstmesse Leipzig . September 20, 2019, accessed September 21, 2019 .
- The film. Official website of the film, accessed February 5, 2019 .