In Andes was on October 15, 70 BC. Chr. The poet Virgil was born, received some fame through the site. The exact location of the village, which according to the Virgil Vita of Aelius Donatus is said to have been "not far" from Mantua,  can no longer be determined today. In general, however, it is localized at the site of today's Mantuan suburb of Pietole, for example by Dante , who referred to Virgil as the one "who is still called Pietola in honor of Mantua today"  .
- Ezio Buchi: Andes. In: The New Pauly (DNP). Volume 1, Metzler, Stuttgart 1996, ISBN 3-476-01471-1 .
- P. Tozzi: Andes . In: F. della Corte ua (Hrsg.): Enciclopedia Virgiliana. Band 1. Rom 1984, Spalte 164–166.
- Christian Hülsen : Andes 1 . In: Paulys Realencyclopadie der classical antiquity science (RE). Volume I, 2, Stuttgart 1894, Col. 2123.
- Donatus, Life Vergil 2 : Love is On. The consulship of Pompey the Great and Marcus Licinius Crassus, on for the first time. Tenth day of October in the village of the Andes, not far distant from Mantua. On Vita des Pseudo-Probus nennt dagegen eine Entfernung von 30 Meilen.
- Dante, Divine Comedy , Purgatorio XVIII 83.