André Cottavoz - André Cottavoz
|Birth|| July 29 , 1922 |
Saint-Marcellin ( France )
|Death|| July 8 , 2012(89 years old) |
|Occupation||Painter and lithographer|
|Movement||Sanzisme ( fr ) and School of Paris (art)|
André Cottavoz was a French painter and lithographer born in Saint-Marcellin (Isère) on July 29, 1922 and died on July 8, 2012 in Vallauris , who belonged to the group of Sansismists at the School of Paris and also at the School of Lyon . [ 1 ] . [ 2 ]
In 1942, Cottavoz, 20 years old, was part of class 22 and has to provide the Compulsory Labor Service. The STO took him to Austria with his comrade Philibert Charrin. In very difficult living conditions they manage to paint on pieces of cardboard and even to expose the work, but the paintings were finally destroyed.
Meanwhile, a new pictorial movement comes to life: a new artistic interpretation of the Lyon School , or syn-ism , a collective movement that wants to express the absence of "isms" within its artistic conception, hence the name. Jean Fusaro , André Lauran, Jacques Truphémus and Paul Philibert-Charrin participated at the time with André Cottavoz to expose the new trend.
In Vallauris, where he settled permanently in 1962, André Cottavoz became interested in glazed ceramics, which he worked with Roger Cuello. [ 3 ]
André Cottavoz's works appear in numerous museums in France and abroad.
- Marcel Michaud Gallery, Lyon, 1946
- Gallery Kriegel, Paris, 1965, 1967, 1971, 1973 [ 4 ]
- Gallery Matignon, Paris, 1980 [ 5 ]
- Tamenaga Gallery, Tokyo, Osaka , 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004
- Tamenaga Gallery, Paris, 1991, 2000, 2004, 2008
- Tiendas Matsuzakaya, Nagoya , Ueno , 1992, 1998
- Santi Finos Artes Gallery, Jakarta , 1993
- Vascœuil Castle, 1994
- Longchamp Gallery, Nice , 1995
- Malaval and Saint-Vincent Gallery, Lyon, 1996
- Spring Shops, Ginza , Osaka, Shizuoka , 1997
- Cottavoz, retrospective, Hauterives castle (Emiliani Gallery cooperation, La Bégude-de-Mazenc), 1997
- Emiliani Gallery, La Bégude-de-Mazenc , 1999
- Retrospective André Cottavoz , Magnelli Museum, Vallauris , July October 2005
- Fortress of Vourles, February 2014
- Tejano Space-Salas Santas-Foy-Lès-Lyon, 2016
- National Museum of Modern Art , Paris
- Museum of modern art of the city of Paris
- Museo de Cahors Henri-Martin
- Paul-Dini Museum of Villefranche-on-Saone
- Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon
- Troyes modern art museum
- Richard Anacreonte Museum of Modern Art, Granville
- Museum of modern and contemporary art of Saint-Étienne
- Besançon Museum of Fine Arts and Archeology
- Museo de arte Roger-Quilliot, Clermont-Ferrand
- Abbey Museum, Saint-Claude (Jura) (Donation Guy Bardone)
- Museo de Sète
- Quoted from ceramics - Sèvres and Limoges, Sèvres : plate émaillée by André Cottavoz and Roger Cuello
- National funds for contemporary art, Paris
- Department of the prints, National Library of France , Paris
- Luxembourg Museum, Paris
- Civic Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art, Turín
- Tokyo museum of modern art
- Yamagata art museum
- Cabo Mayor Lighthouse Art Center Museum , Santander
Award and distinctions
- Lydia Harambourg, The School of Paris, 1945-1965, Dictionary of painters .
-  : Quotidien Le Progrès , Lyon, edition of July 13, 2012, obituary by Isabelle Brione.
- Marie-Pascale Suhard, The artists of Vallauris - Roger Collet , Éditions Joël Garcia, Paris, 2006.
- André Cottavoz, “interview about his exhibition at the Kriegel gallery”, Arts Today program , France Culture , November 18, 1967.
- Pierre Mazars, Jean-Marie Dunoyer, Jean Selz, The Year of Painting , p.40 and 41.
- Jacques Zeitoun, «Cottavoz», in The art that lives , 1961.
- Raymond Nacenta and Alexandre Garbell, School of Paris - 1963 , Editions of the Charpentier Gallery, Paris, 1963.
- Jean Minjoz and Marie-Lucie Cornillot, George and Adèle Besson Collection , Editions of the Museum of the handsome-arts of Besançon, 1967.
- René Huyghe and Jean Rudel, Art and the Modern World , Larousse, 1970.
- Cottavoz , exhibition catalog, Kriegel Gallery, Paris, 1975.
- Universal Dictionary of Painting , The Robert , 1975, volume 2, p. 99.
- Charles Sorlier, Cottavoz, Exhibition November-December 1980, Matignon Gallery, edited by the Matignon Gallery, Paris, 1980.
- Sanjiro Minamikawa, These Masters in Their Workshop , Asahi Sonorama, Japan, 1980.
- Francis Engalanen and Raymond Perrot, The Salon of the Young Pinta - A History 1950-1953 , Young Painting Editions, 1983.
- Pierre Mazars, Jean-Marie Dunoyer and Jean Selz, The Year of Painting , Calmann-Lévy, 1982.
- André Cottavoz, Cottavoz - Interview with Bertrand Duplessis , Ediciones Tamenaga, 1987.
- Bertrand Duplessis, Cottavoz , Ediciones Sanbi, 1991.
- Françoise Woimant, Marie-Cécile Miessner and Anne Moeglin-Delcroix, De Bonnard and Baselitz - Stamps and Artists' Books , BNF, 1992.
- André Cottavoz, Al thread of the hours , purposes collected by Bertrand Duplessis, Ediciones Sanbi, 1993.
- Gérald Schurr, The Guidargus of painting , The Amateur Editions, 1993.
- Lydia Harambourg, The School of Paris, 1945-1965, Dictionary of painters, Ides and Calendes, 1993.
- Raphaël Valensi and Jean-Louis Pinte, Cottavoz , Ediciones Sylvio Acatos, Lausana, 1997.
- W. Van den Bussche, Art is my oxygen - Jeanne Matossian Collection , PMMK Editions, Ostend, 1999.
- Emmanuel Bénézit , Dictionary of painters, sculptors, dessinateurs and graveurs, Gründ, 1999, volume 3 p. 951-952.
- Jean-Pierre Delarge , Dictionary of modern and contemporary plastic arts , Gründ, 2001, p. 285.
- Sandra Benadretti-Pellard, André Cottavoz, interior itinerary, Somogy Ediciones, 2007.
- Towards the light - Jeanne Matossian Collection - Chartres Exhibition, Museum of the handsome-arts, 2011-2012, catalog, Jeanne Matossian Foundation, Brussels, 2011.
- Olivier El Bihan, Bernard Rossignon and Jean-Pierre Boureux, Raymond Buttner, collector - Jeanne Buttner Donation to the Troyes Museum of Modern Art, Silvana Editoriale, Milan, 2012.