André Holenstein - André Holenstein
From 1978 to 1986, Holenstein studied modern and medieval history and German literature at the University of Bern . In 1986 he was licensed at the University of Bern. From 1986 to 1989 he received a research grant from the Institute for European History in Mainz . In 1989 he completed his doctorate in Modern General History at the University of Bern and was assistant to Peter Blickle at the Historical Institute of the University of Bern from 1989 to 1995 . In 1995 he received the Theodor Kocher Prize for outstanding young scientists at the University of Bern. From 1995 to 1999 he worked on his habilitation project with the help of the Swiss National Science Foundationand was senior assistant in modern history at the Historical Institute in Bern from 1999 to 2001. In 2001 there was his habilitation there with a venia docendi for modern history. In 2002 he was appointed full professor of early Swiss history and comparative regional history and director of the Historical Institute of the University of Bern.
Monographs and independent publications
- Transnational Swiss national history. Contradiction in itself or expansion of the perspectives? Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences (= Swiss Academies Communications , Vol. 13, No. 6), 2018. online .
- Swiss migration history. From the beginning to the present , here and now: Baden 2018.
- In the middle of Europe. Interweaving and demarcation in Swiss history , Here and Now: Baden 2014, 2nd edition 2015; French translation, with Patrick Kury and Kristina Schulz: Au coeur de l'Europe. Une histoire de la Suisse entre ouverture et repli , Antipodes, Lausanne 2018.
- “Good Policey” and local society in the state of the Ancien Régime. The case study of the margraviate of Baden (-Durlach) (= early modern research , vol. 9/1, 2), 2 vol., Bibliotheca academica Verlag, Epfendorf / Neckar 2003.
- Peasants between the Peasants 'War and the Thirty Years' War (= Encyclopedia of German History , Vol. 38), R. Oldenbourg Verlag, Munich 1996.
- The homage of the subjects. Legal culture and rule of law (800–1800) (= sources and research on agricultural history , vol. 36), Gustav Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart / New York 1991.
- with Kaspar von Greyerz , Andreas Würgler (eds.): Pay deals, clientelism, corruption in the early modern era. On the salary entrepreneurship of the Zurlauben family in the Swiss and European context (= rule and social systems in the early modern times , vol. 25), V & R unipress, Göttingen 2018.
- with Georg von Erlach, Sarah Rindlisbacher (ed.): In the eye of the hurricane. Federal power elites and the Thirty Years War , Here and Now, Baden 2015.
- mit Hubert Steinke, Martin Stuber, Philippe Rogger (Hrsg.): Scholars in Action. The Practice of Knowledge and the Figure of the Savant in the 18th Century, 2 vols., Brill, Leiden, Boston 2013.
- with Georg von Erlach (ed.): From war to peace. Federal Politics in the Late Middle Ages and the Work of Bubenberg , Here and Now, Baden 2012.
- with Ruth Meyer Schweizer, Pasqualina Perrig-Chiello, Peter Rusterholz, Christian von Zimmermann, Andreas Wagner, Sara Margarita Zwahlen (eds.): Glück. Lectures from a series of lectures by the Collegium generale of the University of Bern in the spring semester 2010 , Haupt Verlag, Bern, Stuttgart, Vienna 2011.
- with Béla Kapossy, Danièle Tosato-Rigo, Simone Zurbuchen (eds.): Wealth and Poverty in the Swiss Republics of the 18th Century , Editions Slatkine, Geneva 2010.
- with Ruth Meyer Schweizer, Tristan Weddigen, Sara Margarita Zwahlen (eds.): Second skin. On the cultural history of clothing , Haupt Verlag, Bern, Stuttgart, Vienna 2010.
- mit Wim Blockmans, Jon Mathieu, Daniel Schläppi (Hrsg.): Empowering Interactions. Political Cultures and the Emergence of the State in Europe, 1300–1900, Ashgate, Farnham 2009.
- with Daniel Schläppi, Dieter Schnell, Hubert Steinke, Martin Stuber, Andreas Würgler (eds.): Berns goldene Zeit. The 18th century rediscovered , Stämpfli Verlag, Bern 2008.
- mit Thomas Maissen, Maarten Prak (Hrsg.): The Republican Alternative. The Netherlands and Switzerland Compared, Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam 2008.
- with Martin Stuber, Gerrendina Gerber-Visser (ed.): Useful science and economy in the ancien régime. Actors, topics, forms of communication (= Cardanus. Yearbook for the History of Science , 7 ), Palatina Verlag, Heidelberg 2007.
- with Claudia Engler, Norbert Furrer, Heinrich R. Schmidt, Johanna Strübin Rindisbacher, Andreas Würgler (eds.): Bern's mighty time. The 16th and 17th centuries rediscovered , school publisher blmv and Stämpfli Verlag, Bern 2006.
- with Sabine Ullmann (Ed.): Neighbors, community members and the others. Minorities and special groups in the south-west of the empire during the early modern period (= Upper Swabia - history and culture , vol. 12), bibliotheca academica Verlag, Epfendorf / Neckar 2004.
- with Frank Konersmann, Josef Pauser, Gerd Sälters (eds.): Policey in local rooms. Law enforcement and security personnel in communities and territories from the late Middle Ages to the early 19th century , Vittorio Klostermann, Frankfurt a. Main 2002.
- with Peter Blickle, Heinrich R. Schmidt, Franz-Josef Sladeczek (eds.): Power and powerlessness of images. Reformation iconoclasm in the context of European history (= historical magazine , supplement 33), Oldenbourg-Verlag, Munich 2002.
- with Heinrich R. Schmidt, Andreas Würgler (ed.): Community, Reformation and Resistance. Festschrift for Peter Blickle on the occasion of his 60th birthday , bibliotheca academica-Verlag, Tübingen 1998.
- with Peter Blickle (Ed.): Agricultural Constitutional Contracts. Documentation on the social and political change in the relationships between rulers and farmers at the end of the Middle Ages (= sources and research on agricultural history , vol. 42), Lucius & Lucius, Stuttgart 1996.
- Website at the University of Bern
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Swiss historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th July 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Running BL|