Kirchner studied classical philology and history in Munich , from 1981 in Berlin (West) . From 1983 he began to devote himself increasingly to photography . In 1984/85 he visited the photography workshop in Berlin-Kreuzberg . In 1986 he had his first solo exhibition in the Galerie im Körnerpark, Berlin  . Many other solo and group exhibitions and book publications follow. Since 2015 Kirchner has offered other artists the opportunity to exhibit their own photographs in his studio. 
Kirchner is a member of the jury and has been an appointed member of the German Society for Photography since 2019 .
Kirchner is a great-nephew of the Erlangen sculptor Heinrich Kirchner .
Kirchner deals with the urban landscape in his photographs, mostly in classic b / w and large format . He photographs with strict objectivity and aesthetics. "It is the gaze of a stroller who wanders around with great sensitivity but aimlessly and sees motifs of great intensity and expressiveness in ordinary things and places and creates images from them that he fixes with the camera!" 
His images can usually be seen and understood in the context of a series. In 1988 he began the series "Rückbauten", a photographic discussion of the phenomenon of the missing corner buildings in Berlin. 
In 1990 he captured the at that time quiet Berlin-Mitte by long exposures at night. Photographs from this series are represented in many public collections.
In 1993/1994 he photographed Berlin from the then undeveloped outskirts. The series of panorama photographs was shown to the public in the Berlinische Galerie in 2019, 30 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall  .
In 1991/1992 he moved to Dresden for a year, where he photographed and wrote. His first book, "Dresden Campaign"  , was created with a grant from the Kulturfonds Foundation . Further publications followed.
Exhibitions (selection) 
- 1986: Galerie im Körnerpark, Berlin, here and there
- 1997: City Gallery Erlangen, Palais Stutterheim, floating loads
- 2002: Galerie Pernkopf, Berlin, Berlin masterpieces
- 2004: Galerie Pernkopf, Berlin, refreshments
- 2008: Galerie Unterwegs, Berlin, time that stood still
- 2012: Galerie im Rathaus Tempelhof and Tempelhofmuseum, Berlin, 30 years of urban photography in Berlin
- 2015: Moroccan Embassy, Berlin, Hausvogteiplatz Berlin 1990 - 2005
- 2018: Märkisches Museum , Berlin, "Window Regulations"
- 2018: Haus am Kleistpark, Berlin, The West Berlin Years - 1981 to 1990
- 2019: Berlinische Galerie , outskirts of Berlin 1993/94
- 1992: Berlinische Galerie , Nacht Berlin-Mitte 1990
- 1995: Academy gallery in the Marstall, Berlin, Berlin Mitte centrifugal in "About the Big Cities"
- 2006: House at Kleistpark, Berlin, periphery and center
- 2007: Albertina , Vienna, "Views, Passers-by - 1930 to Today"
- 2009: Max-Liebermann-Haus, Berlin, Offener Himmel Berlin 1990 in "Scenes and Traces of a Fall", an exhibition for the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- 2010: Galerie Jörg Maaß, Berlin, Streetphotography
- 2011: Kunstmuseum Erlangen , Hello Berlin 2010
- 2014: Carpentier Gallery, Berlin, Berliner Ecken 2008 - 2010 in "Berlin Photography"
- 2014: Municipal Gallery Berlin, "Hotel Bogota"
- 2016: Galerie Chaussee 36, Berlin, "Europe Under Construction Berlin 1945 - 2015"
- 2017: Haus am Kleistpark, Berlin, "Bahnbogen 22 to 79, Gleisdreieck Berlin 1964 and 2014", exhibition with Janos Frecot
- 2020: Biesdorf Palace , Berlin "B1 - a street through Berlin"
- "Stadtrand Berlin 1993/94", Stuttgart 2019, ISBN 978-3-96070-034-0
- "The West Berlin Years - Photographs from 1981 to 1990", Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-86228-185-5
- "Messages from the darkroom" in "The Years with the Camera - Berlin 1964 to 1966", Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3894798017
- "Schauplatz Berlin - The construction of the new center", Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-89479-716-4
- "Dresden Campaign - The Photographer's Diary", Dresden, Amsterdam 2000; ISBN 90-5705-147-8
- "Here and there - European cityscapes and collected materials on the history of modern photography." Berlin 1986, self-published
- Vita - André Kirchner. Retrieved on September 2, 2020 (German).
- Atelier - André Kirchner. Retrieved on September 2, 2020 (German).
- Current books in December | German Society for Photography. Accessed on September 2, 2020 .
- The West Berlin Years. Photographs by André Kirchner 1981 to 1990. Retrieved on September 2, 2020 (German).
- Journey to the center of the earth. May 28, 2019, accessed September 2, 2020 .
- European Month of Photography Berlin - Artists. Retrieved September 2, 2020 .
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German city photographer and book author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4. September 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Erlangen|