Andres Cañizález - Andrés Cañizález
|Birth|| As February 9 as 1966 |
|Educated in||Simón Bolívar University ( Doc. In Political Science )|
|Occupation||Journalist / Researcher|
|Distinctions||Monsignor Pellín Award (2005)|
He has developed a line of research on the relationship of the media with democracy and the role of freedom of the press, with different works on this matter. He has a master's degree in Political Science with an emphasis on international relations and a master's degree in Venezuelan History. He has been a professor at the Andrés Bello Catholic University (UCAB) since 2003, he has also taught at the Arturo Michelena University and the Cecilio Acosta Catholic University .
He directed the academic journals Temas de Comunicación , between 2006 and 2016, and Comunicación. Venezuelan Communication Studies between 2000 and 2008. Between 2006 and 2016 he also coordinated the Working Group on «Political Communication and Media» of the Latin American Association of Communication Researchers (ALAIC), and as of 2014 he is part of the ALAIC Advisory Council .
In 2013, he was elected as president of the Venezuelan Association of Communication Researchers (INVECOM) for the period 2013-2015. He was reelected for the periods 2015-2017 and 2017-2019. He is part of the Academic Council of the Center for the Opening and Development of Latin America (CADAL). In 2017, he was included among the 300 Venezuelan academics with the greatest impact, according to the Google Academic indicators , in a ranking prepared by the Acumen project. Of that list, he was the only one dedicated to research in the media, journalism and freedom of expression.
During his career he has received different recognitions and distinctions for his professional work, among which are the Monsignor Pellín Prize for research from the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference , in 2005; Titus Brandsma International Award from the International Catholic Press Union, in 2010; Prize in teaching and research from the Arturo Michelena University, in 2015; as well as the UCAB Researcher Productivity and Performance Award, twice, 2017 and 2018. He has also been a speaker at 26 academic conferences and seminars.
He is currently an undergraduate and graduate professor at UCAB and Coordinator of the UCAB Regional Extension in Lara state . In addition, he is one of the hosts of the program "En Este País" broadcast by the National Network of Radio Fe y Alegría in Venezuela. He is also a director of the Asociación Civil Medianálisis.
- Cuba: ten years of transformations . Ko´eyú editions. Caracas 1998.
- Between the din and the silence. The April crisis and the right to freedom of expression and information . Andres Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2002.
- Press and Elections: Experiences from Latin America. Press and Society Institute. Caracas 2004.
- Fresh, wide-open eyes. Notes on investigative journalism . Press and Society Institute and Communication Research Institute of the Central University of Venezuela. Caracas 2006.
- Think civil society. Social actors, public space and media in Venezuela . Andres Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2007.
- Times of change. Politics and communication . Andres Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2009.
- From the state to the public. Public radio and television in Venezuela today . Andrés Bello Catholic University and Latin American Association of Communication Researchers. Caracas 2010.
- Hugo Chávez: The Media Presidency . Editorial Alfa. Caracas 2012.
- History of the present. Freedom of expression in Venezuela . Andres Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2014.
- Infocracy. Political power, the media and the right to freedom of expression in Venezuela . Center for the Opening and Development of Latin America, Buenos Aires 2014.
- Waning pluralism. Elections and freedom of expression in Venezuela . Editorial Social Communication. Salamanca 2014.
- Venezuela under the Bolivarian Revolution: Media and Freedom of Expression . Center for the Opening and Development of Latin America, Buenos Aires 2016.
- Freedom of expression: a discussion on its principles, limits and implications. Together with other authors . Books from El Nacional and Andrés Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2007.
- The media in Latin America . Together with Jairo Lugo. Mc Graw Hill and Open University Press. London 2008.
- Communication for democracy. The construction of the plural public discourse . Together with Miguel Ángel Latouche. Central University of Venezuela and Andrés Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2010.
- The censored screen . Together with León Hernández. Andres Bello Catholic University. Caracas 2016.