Andrea Astrid Voßhoff (born July 31, 1958 in Haren (Ems) , Meppen district ) is a German politician ( CDU ). She was a member of the German Bundestag from 1998 to 2013 and from January 6, 2014 to January 5, 2019, the Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (BfDI).
Life and work
Andrea Voßhoff comes from a family of boatmen . After graduating from high school in Meppen in 1977 , she studied law at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster and the University of Lausanne , which she completed in 1984 with the first state examination in law. After her legal clerkship , she passed the second state examination in 1987. She then worked as a lawyer from 1988 to 1991 .
In 1991 she came to Rathenow with her husband , where he opened a notary's office, of which she was the office manager until 1998.
Vosshoff is married and Catholic .
Andrea Voßhoff joined the CDU in 1986 and was state chairman of the Mittelstands- und Wirtschaftsvereinigung (MIT) of the CDU / CSU in Brandenburg from 1996 to 2000 . From 1997 to 2007 she was deputy chairwoman of the CDU district association Havelland and from 1999 to 2005 she was also deputy state chairwoman of the CDU Brandenburg.
Andrea Voßhoff has been a member of Rathenow's city council since 2003 and is chairwoman of the committee for economics and finance. Since September 2008 she has been chairwoman of the Rathenow Economic Committee. From 2008 to 2010 she was also a member of the Havelland district council.
After the Bundestag election in 1998 , she moved into the German Bundestag and became a member of the Legal Committee . From April 20, 2010, Vosshoff was the legal policy spokeswoman for the CDU / CSU parliamentary group and chairwoman of the “Legal Working Group”. She was also one of twelve members of the election committee , which at that time still directly appointed half of the judges of the Federal Constitutional Court . 
Vosshoff always entered the Bundestag via the Brandenburg state list . In the 2013 federal election she was again defeated in her constituency by Frank-Walter Steinmeier , the chairman of the SPD parliamentary group . This time the state list was not used because the CDU had won too many direct mandates in Brandenburg. Thus, she would have been the first to replace her from her federal state, but a Bundestag mandate is incompatible with the activity as a data protection officer. Katherina Reicheannounced on September 4, 2015 that it was renouncing membership in the German Bundestag. Vosshoff did not accept her mandate because her position was incompatible with membership in the German Bundestag. Since the state list is exhausted, the place remained vacant. 
Commissioner for data protection and freedom of information
On December 19, 2013, Andrea Vosshoff was elected by the German Bundestag as the new Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information .  On February 4, 2014, Vosshoff was introduced to office by Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière .  Two days earlier (after the election of this Bundestag in September 2013 ) a grand coalition ( Merkel III cabinet ) was formed. Voßhoff thus succeeded Peter Schaar, who was leaving office . Her appointment has been criticized by privacy advocates; During her time as a member of the Bundestag she was responsible for several controversial bills like theData retention , the Access Restriction Act , online searches and the ACTA agreement are in agreement.   From several sides it was speculated that Vosshoff should be taken care of after her missed re-entry into the German Bundestag .    The balance after their 100-day period was mostly negative in the media.  Constanze Kurz , spokeswoman for the Chaos Computer Club , described the results of her first year in office as "disastrous". 
In August 2016, however, Andre Meister from netzpolitik.org judged : “This criticism [written by the data protection officer] can hardly be surpassed in terms of clarity. Andrea Vosshoff, who is otherwise rather pale, gives the BND and the Chancellery one legal slap after the other. " 
During her term of office there was a doubling of staff at the data protection authority.  From 2014 to 2018 she was a member of the Council for Information Infrastructures . From July 2018 to January 2019, Voßhoff was a member of the Federal Government's Data Ethics Commission . 
Vosshoff's term of office as data protection officer ended at the beginning of 2019. In a review of Voßhoff's term of office, Constanze Kurz renewed her criticism on netzpolitik.org by attesting that the outgoing Federal Data Protection Officer was not visible in public debates, although it was relevant in terms of data protection law during Vosshoff's term of office Events such as the entry into force of the GDPR or the dispute over the state Trojan took place. His successor is the SPD politician Ulrich Kelber . 
- Constanze Kurz: This is not a love song: Commentary on the end of the term of office of the Federal Data Protection Commissioner. In: netzpolitik.org . December 3, 2018, accessed on December 4, 2018 (summary of Voßhoff's term of office as Federal Data Protection Officer).
- Members of the electoral committee ( memento of November 27, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) on bundestag.de.
- A party loses 1 mandate due to exhaustion of a state list. Wahlrecht.de, accessed on September 30, 2015 .
- "Andrea Voßhoff new data protection officer". bundestag.de, accessed on December 19, 2013 .
- The new federal data protection officer is highly controversial. In: Die Welt from February 4, 2014.
- Grand coalition: CDU politician Vosshoff is to become the top data protection officer In: Spiegel-Online of December 17, 2013.
- Catalina Schröder: The Invisible One . In: The time . No. 51, 2015 (zeit.de).
- Economical appearance. (No longer available online.) Sarah Renner for tagesschau.de , May 15, 2014, archived from the original on May 16, 2014 ; Retrieved May 19, 2014 .
- Grand coalition: CDU politician Vosshoff is to become the top data protection officer. Ole Reissmann for Spiegel Online , December 17, 2013, accessed on May 19, 2014 .
- Christof Kerkmann: Political horse trading in data protection. Handelsblatt , May 19, 2014, accessed on May 19, 2014 .
- Almost a year in office. The data protection officer is a disaster . FAZ.net November 18, 2014
- Significant increase in jobs at the Federal Data Protection Commissioner . heise.de
- Data Ethics Commission. Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Home Affairs, July 18, 2018, accessed on September 2, 2018 .
- Constanze Kurz : This is not a love song: Commentary on the end of the term of office of the Federal Data Protection Commissioner. In: netzpolitik.org. December 3, 2018, accessed December 4, 2018 .
- Ulrich Kelber becomes the top data protection officer . Spiegel Online netzwelt, November 29, 2018; accessed on November 29, 2018.
|ALTERNATIVNAMEN||Vosshoff, Andrea Astrid (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 31, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Haren (Ems) , Meppen district|