Atzendorf (Staßfurt) - Atzendorf (Staßfurt)
City of Staßfurt
|Height :||83 m|
|Residents :||1367 (Dec. 31, 2013)|
|Incorporation :||March 10, 2004|
|Postal code :||39443|
Location of Atzendorf in Saxony-Anhalt
Church of St. Eustachius
Atzendorf is located in the center of Saxony-Anhalt between the southern edge of the Magdeburger Börde and the northeastern edge of the Egelner-Staßfurter Mulde, a disused lignite deposit. The place is surrounded by agricultural land, its center is at an altitude of 83 meters. At the southern edge, a small stream, the km southwest towards 3.5 begins in the Bode inlet opens Marbegraben. The city center of Staßfurt is ten kilometers away by road and can be reached via Landesstraße 50 (former Bundesstraße 71 ) and Landesstraße 72 to the east of the town . Immediate neighboring towns are Förderstedt (4 km southeast) and Unseburg(7 km to the west). The next train station is in Förderstedt on the Magdeburg – Aschersleben railway line (as of 2011/12). The former municipal area covers 21.1 km². Because of the location in the rain shadow of the Harz, the local climate is quite dry; With 399 mm per year Atzendorf is considered to be the least rainy place in Germany. The driest month is February, with the most rainfall in June.
In a deed of gift dated January 29, 946 from King Otto I for the Magdeburg Mauritius Monastery, Atzendorf was first mentioned under the name Addestanstidi. In another document from Otto II dated June 4, 973, the name had changed to Addestondorp. Atzendorf came into the possession of the Archbishopric of Magdeburg via the Mauritius Monastery . From 1258 the Provost Albrecht of Magdeburg exercised jurisdiction. The first church building was erected in the 14th century and consecrated to Saint Eustachius . In 1482 parts of the village were destroyed by arson. In the course of the Reformation Atzendorf came under the rule of theElectorate of Brandenburg . Until 1806 Atzendorf was administratively in wooden circle I . The first church visit in 1563 identified 50 landlords, a pastor, a sexton and a baker. At the beginning of the Thirty Years Warthe place was surrounded by a moat and a half-timbered wall, which was interrupted by two gates. In 1634, during the war, imperial troops looted and destroyed it considerably. Most of the people who had fled did not return until 14 years later. Since the place had to struggle again and again with rising damp, the most important streets were paved as early as 1683. On January 14, 1715, a large fire, which was deliberately started, destroyed 49 houses, the school, the forge and the tavern. Nine people came to us. In the middle of the 18th century, the place began to expand beyond the fortifications. The Atzendorfer Chronik in 1762 shows 18 farmers, 9 half-spouses and 36 kossatsout. Bathers, shoemakers, tailors, linen weavers, bricklayers, a wheelwright, a saddler and a tanner are mentioned as craftsmen. In 1781 Atzendorf had 712 inhabitants who lived in 94 houses.
After Prussia's defeat by Napoleon , Atzendorf came under French rule in 1807 in the newly created Kingdom of Westphalia owned by Napoleon's brother Jérôme Bonaparte and belonged to the canton of Staßfurt for six years . On his way from Dresden to Magdeburg, Napoleon went through Atzendorf and gave a speech there in front of the village population. After Prussia carried out a district reform after Napoleon's expulsion in 1816, Atzendorf became the district of Calbeassigned. In the middle of the 19th century, the underground mining of lignite began west of the place. The Marie mine was built just two kilometers to the south-west, from which the Marbe mine was founded on February 10, 1872 by merging with other mines. As a result of the newly created jobs, the population of Atzendorf soared to 2599 by 1875 and prosperity spread throughout the town. The oversized new building of the St. Eustachius Church, which was completed in 1889, testifies to this. Atzendorf only participated indirectly in the construction of the modern traffic routes. Both the Magdeburg - Halle trunk road (now the B 71), completed in 1801, and the Schönebeck - Güsten railway line , which was inaugurated in 1866run past the place at some distance. The Etgersleben – Förderstedt lignite railway, which went into operation in 1892, was also about 1.5 km away with its Grube Marie station. Further jobs were created through the construction of a sugar factory. In 1925 Atzendorf had reached the height of its development with 3287 inhabitants. 
After the end of the Second World War , Atzendorf came under American occupation in 1945, and from July 1, 1945 under Soviet occupation. Due to a territorial reform of the GDR , the district of Calbe was dissolved on June 10, 1950 and Atzendorf was assigned to the district of Schönebeck. On September 1, 1952 Atzendorf was assigned to the newly established Staßfurt district in the Magdeburg district. The lignite pit Marbe, last operating part of the VEB lignite plant Unseburg, was shut down in 1962, the population of Atzendorf fell in 1964 to 2801.  In the same year, the Atzendorfer concluded Agricultural Production Cooperative(LPG) with the LPG in Löderburg and Förderstedt to form the large LPG "Victory of Socialism" based in Atzendorf. On February 5, 1967, passenger traffic was abandoned on the Etgersleben – Förderstedt railway line, and in 1967 goods traffic as well.
After the political change in 1989, a commercial area was opened in Atzendorf on Calbeschen Weg in 1991 and the Am Park residential area in 1997. With the district reform of Saxony-Anhalt in 1994, the Staßfurt district was dissolved and Atzendorf was reassigned to the Schönebeck district . Since 1994 Atzendorf has been a member community of the "Östliche Börde" administrative association based in Eickendorf. On March 10, 2004 Atzendorf was incorporated into the unified community of Förderstedt. Atzendorf only had about 1,600 inhabitants at that time. After another district reform in 2007, the districts of Schönebeck, Bernburg and Aschersleben-Staßfurt were combined to form the newly formed Salzlandkreis. On January 1, 2009, the community of Förderstedt with the districts Atzendorf, Brumby, Glöthe, Löbnitz and Üllnitz lost its independence and was incorporated into the city of Staßfurt. 
coat of arms
The Atzendorfer coat of arms was designed by the Magdeburg heraldist Jörg Mantzsch . The basis is a seal of the community that has been in use since the 15th century, the image of which shows St. Eustachius riding on the right with a horn and in front of a stag. This image of the seal recurs in various community seals until the middle of the 20th century. Saint Eustachius is the patron saint of the church and the village. The coat of arms was officially approved on November 5, 1993 by the regional council of Saxony-Anhalt.
The Evangelical Church of St. Eustachius is located in the center of Atzendorf. It was built between 1887 and 1889 and took the place of a church building from the 14th century, whose structural condition was poor and whose size no longer did justice to the increased population of Atzendorf. According to plans by the Berlin architect Friedrich Adler , who later also supplied the plans for the Wittenberg Castle Church , a neo-Gothic building made of shell limestone blocks was created . The three-aisled hall is built into stepped buttresses and two-lane tracery windowsstructured and closed by saddle roofs. The west tower is visible far into the country with a height of about 50 m. With the main portal, the acoustic arcades, the large structured window front and slender central supports, it is more conspicuously structured than the nave. It is crowned by an octagonal spire with a ball and a wrought-iron cross. The interior of the nave is covered by a high ribbed vault that rests on brick pillars. The sandstone font and a wooden crucifix , both from the 17th century, were taken from the previous building. Three colored windows, manufactured by the Quedlinburg company Ferdinand Müller, and the organ by Wilhelm Rühlmann date from the construction periodfrom Zörbig, for which the workshop of the wood sculptor Gustav Kuntzsch , Wernigerode , supplied the organ case.  The organ, which was restored in 2000, is located on the west gallery, which is supported by a pointed arch arcade. 
- Otto Kilian (1879–1945), communist politician, journalist and writer
- Hilmar Fuß (* 1943), soccer player
- Samuel Benedikt Carstedt. Atzendorfer Chronicle 1761/62 . Self-published by the Historical Commission, Magdeburg 1928
- Georg Dehio. Handbook of German Art Monuments - Saxony-Anhalt I , Deutscher Kunstverlag, ISBN 3-422-03069-7 , p. 52
- Staßfurter Geschichtsverein (Ed.): Staßfurt and its districts - streets and squares tell history , Staßfurt 2009. With information on Altstaßfurt , Staßfurt (old town), Staßfurt-Nord , Leopoldshall , Athensleben , Atzendorf, Brumby , Förderstedt , Glöthe , Hohenerxleben , Löbnitz , Löderburg , Lust , Neu Staßfurt , Neundorf , Rathmannsdorf , Rothenförde and Üllnitz .
- Page about Atzendorf on the homepage of the city of Staßfurt
- Historical and current images of Atzendorf on www.stassfurt-gestern-und-heute.de
- Michael Rademacher: German administrative history from the unification of the empire in 1871 to the reunification in 1990. Population figures. (Online material for the dissertation, Osnabrück 2006).
- Directory of the municipalities and districts of the GDR, Staatsverlag der GDR 1966 (with details of the population in 1964)
- StBA: Changes in the municipalities in Germany, see 2004
- StBA: Area changes on 01/01/2009
- Soproni Múzeum, Sopron ( Hungary ), inventory no. P. 2425 E 251 (Storno Könyvtár): Gustav Kuntzsch folder , not paginated.
- Church in stassfurt.de
- "House with Church Tower" . In: Lord's Day, January 18, 2013