Branch of the Franz-Mehring-Institute in Berlin-Biesdorf - Außenstelle des Franz-Mehring-Instituts in Berlin-Biesdorf
The branch of the Franz-Mehring-Institut in Berlin-Biesdorf was an educational institution of the German Democratic Republic (GDR) in East Berlin . It was established in 1970 by the GDR Council of Ministers and served to train functionaries of the West German German Communist Party (DKP) in Marxism-Leninism . Organizationally, the branch belonged to the Franz-Mehring -Institute of the Karl-Marx-Universität Leipzig , which was responsible for the training of teachers for basic Marxist-Leninist studies .
In the DKP and its affiliated youth organization, the Socialist German Workers' Youth (SDAJ), the branch of the Franz-Mehring-Institut was a party school. Every member designated for a full-time job was delegated to Biesdorf, provided that they did not belong to the minority who were allowed to study at the International Lenin School in Moscow .  In 1989 there were around 500 full-time DKP functionaries.  From 1970 until its closure in 1989, several hundred party members of the DKP attended the three-, six- and twelve-month rates. Participants in the training courses included Harald Werner ,  Christian von Ditfurth , Cordt Schnibben  and Manfred Dott .
The branch was housed in the part of the building of the Wilhelm Griesinger Hospital in the Berlin-Biesdorf district that was previously used by the Soviet Red Army . The party school and the hospital were separated by a fence. Today parts of the building complex are used by the Berlin Accident Hospital .
- Materials of the Enquete Commission "Working up the history and consequences of the SED dictatorship in Germany" , Volume 2: Power structures and decision-making mechanisms in the SED state and the question of responsibility , Nomos Verlag , Baden-Baden 1995, ISBN 3-7890-4034 -7 , ISBN 3-518-09169-7 , pp. 2302, 2333
- Armin Pfahl-Traughber : The "German Communist Party" (DKP). An analytical consideration of the development and significance of the former SED intervention apparatus , dossier left-wing extremism, Federal Agency for Civic Education , February 21, 2008
- Homepage of Harald Werner , accessed on July 5, 2013
- Uwe Backes : Review: Non-fiction book: We here above, you there below ; Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , March 30, 1998
- Cordt Schnibben: The big sack race , Der Spiegel , January 29, 2001