Auðunn rotinn Þórólfsson - Auðunn rotinn Þórólfsson
|Auðunn rotinn Þórólfsson|
Auðunn rotinn Þórólfsson ( Audhunn Thorolfsson , nicknamed the Rotten , b.875 ) was a Viking warlord and colonist from Eyjafjörður , Iceland . [ 1 ] [ 2 ] Son of Þórólfur Þorsteinsson , a descendant of Grímur Kamban , the first settler in the Faroe Islands . [ 3 ]
He married Helga, a daughter of Helgi Eyvindarson who gave him a part of Eyjafjörður , in the Villingadalur region, and had his estate in Saurbær. They both had a male child, Einar Auðunsson , and a female Vigdís (b.896), as Auðunn died early. Einar was the grandfather of Gudmundur Eyjólfsson .
Helga would remarry Hámundur heljarskinn Hjörsson , widower of her sister Ingunn. This type of pact was common in the Viking Age , to preserve the position and avoid the dispersion of the family clan assets , in the Gísla Súrssonar saga there appears another example of Gísle (uncle of the protagonist of the same name) who married his sister-in-law Ingeborg after the death of his brother "because he did not want a woman as excellent as that to leave his family . " [ 4 ]
- Íslendingabók og Landnámabók (1968), Jakob Benediktsson, 1907-., (1 volume in 2 parts. Reykjavík, Iceland: Íslenzka Fornritafélag, 1968), FHL book 949.12 H2bj., Vol. 1, pt. 2, p. 266, Table 17B.
- Icelandic biographies from the settlement period to the end of 1940 (1948-1976), Páll Eggert Ólason, Jón Guðnason, and Ólafur Þ. Kristjánsson, (6 volumes. Reykjavík: Hid Íslenzka Bókmenntafélags, 1948-1952, 1976), FHL book 949.12 D3p., Vol. 1, p. 108, 109; vol. 2, p. 302, 334.
- Ættarskrá (1930), Bjarni Þorsteinsson, Guðný Bjarnadóttir, Þorstein Helgason, and Bjarni Þorsteinsson, (Reykjavík: Prentsmiðjan Acta HF, 1930), FHL book 929.24912 T398t., P. 447.
- Oxenstierna, Eric Graf (1959) Los Vikingos, Ed. W. Kohlhammer GmbH, Stuttgart, ISBN 8421742248 p. 197
- Víga-Glúms saga (1897, filmed 1948), Valdimar Ásmundsson, (Reykjavík: Sigurður Kristjánsson, 1897; Salt Lake City: Filmet av the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1948), FHL microfilm 73226 Item 2., pt. 1, p. 47.
- Njáls saga: the Arna-Magnæan manuscript 468, 4.º (Reykjabók) (1962), (Copenhagen: Ejnar Munksgaard, c1962), FHL book 949.12 B4m v. 6., pt. 1, 133.