|Height :||196 m ü. NHN|
|Residents :||117 (31. Dec. 2018) |
|Incorporation :||1. April 1950|
The origin of the settlement is the forest smithy of Weilmünster, which was first mentioned in a document in 1421 when Count Philipp I of Nassau-Weilburg and Saarbrücken gave the blacksmith Otto the forest smithy. In 1588 the facility was significantly modernized: it received a blast furnace and an iron hammer . During the Thirty Years War , the ironworks went out and the buildings were damaged. In 1646/47 the hammer operation started up again, in 1652 the blast furnace too. In 1716 a new shutdown took place, which was ended in 1763.
After the restart of operations, Johann Trieb from Weilburg was the tenant of the smeltery. With effect from April 1, 1798, the Bergrat Johann Wilhelm Buderus II acquired the Audenschmiede (he had married the two daughters of Johann Trieb) from the Nassau-Weilburg government and left it (as part of the Buderus company from the city of Wetzlar, 20 km away ) expand. The blast furnace ran at full speed in the years of industrialization, before it was shut down in 1877. On May 3, 1930, the foundry was also closed. In 1936, after extensive renovations, operations were resumed by a new owner, mainly gray cast ironbefore the factory closed again. But the settlement remained. Today the company premises are used by the automotive supplier KM Decorative Components GmbH. The chimney , one of the oldest parts of the plant, was built in 1858 and renovated in 1911 and 1983.
On April 1st, 1950 Audenschmiede was incorporated into Weilmünster. The incorporated community has the official local name "Weilmünster-Audenschmiede". 
Former rail connection
In order to be able to better transport the rich raw material deposits in the remote region, the construction of a branch line from Weilburg to Weilmünster, branching off the already existing Lahntalbahn , began in 1889 , the Weiltalbahn , which was officially opened on November 1st, 1890. In 1892 the extension from Weilmünster to Laubuseschbach was opened. In 1909 the connection between Weilmünster and Grävenwiesbach went into operation, so that Audenschmiede also had a connection to Frankfurt am Main .
Decline and shutdown
From the winter schedule of 1955, passenger traffic on the short Weilmünster – Laubuseschbach branch line was completely discontinued, but freight traffic did not cease until 1968. In the 1960s, operations on the Weilburg – Grävenwiesbach section were deliberately slowed down, so that in 1969 people were finally hired - and goods traffic between Weilburg and Grävenwiesbach took place. The lines were completely shut down and dismantled a year later, and the Mönstädter Viaduct was laid down in 1974. On the remainder of the stretch between Weilmünster and Weilburg, goods traffic was still operated using the transfer procedure until the end of the 1980s, and passenger traffic only returned temporarily after a few special trips. Today there are some bike and footpaths on the railway lines.
- Fritz Geisthardt: Sovereign iron industry in the Taunus. In: Nassau Annals . Vol. 68, 1957, pp. 156-174.
- The place on the website of the community of Weilmünster
- Audenschmiede, Limburg-Weilburg district. Historical local dictionary for Hesse. In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- Development of the population in the market town of Weilmünster on the website of the community of Weilmünster , accessed in March 2020
- district Weilmünster-Audenschmiede of the Audenschmiede community, which was incorporated into the community of Weilmünster, Oberlahn district, Wiesbaden district, from November 2, 1950 . In: The Hessian Minister of the Interior (ed.): State Gazette for the State of Hesse. 1950 No. 46, S. 471 , point 875 ( online at the information system of the Hessian state parliament [PDF; 2.2 MB]).