The first repair shop in Harburg was opened in 1872 as a workshop for the Cologne-Minden Railway Company . In June 1885 a workshop was opened at the final location of the repair shop.  It was in the nationalization of the company to the Prussian State Railways through 1920 to the German Reichsbahn , 1950 the German Federal Railways , and was last by the German railway operated. It was closed in 1995.
The building complex consists primarily of workshop halls in solid masonry construction with an iron roof structure, the interior of the halls is illuminated through windows in the walls and skylights in the roof. It is under monument protection (ID 28040 of the Hamburg monument list) and has been renovated. The track systems including the transfer table were removed. In September 2007, a branch of the DIY chain Bauhaus was opened in the halls .
- Press service of the Hamburg Federal Railway Directorate : 100 Years of the Railway 1886–1984 Hamburg Directorate . 1984
- Dietmar Mollik (Red.), Uwe Appel: 100 Years of the Hamburg-Harburg Federal Railway Repair Shop (1885–1985). BAW Hamburg-Harburg 1985.