Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 - Braunschweigisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 92
Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92
|active||April 1, 1809 to January 1919|
|State||Duchy of Brunswick|
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
1809: 2 Battalion |
1814: 3 Bataillone, 12 Kompanien
1809: initially around 2000 men |
|Origin of the soldiers||
Prussian Army ( Náchod , Silesia ) |
Duchy of Brunswick
|Colours||yellow and silver|
Napoleonic War |
Germany / Denmark
Germany / France
First World War
| 1809–1815 |
|Awards||1873/74: Award of flag ribbons|
|Web presence||Infantry-Regiment Nr. 92.|
The regiment has its roots in the black band of Duke Friedrich Wilhelm . The official foundation day is April 1, 1809. Initially, the two newly founded battalions each consisted of 1,000 hussars and infantrymen . Most of the infantry officers and soldiers were taken over from the Prussian army. The regiment was formed in Náchod and marched through Bohemia in May / June 1809 , where it participated in the conquest of Zittau ; then on to Leipa . In June and July 1809 campaigns followed through Saxony , Franconia andThuringia to the home town of Braunschweig . From there it marched on in August 1809 to the North Sea, where it first embarked in Elsfleth for Helgoland . From there it went on English ships to the Isle of Wight , where the regiment moved into station, in order to then fight against France under English command. The 12 companies were called the "Anglo-Braunschweig Light Infantry Regiment" during this period. In 1810 it was used on the Iberian Peninsula and in southern France as a Braunschweig-Lüneburgsche Jäger in the campaign against Napoleonused. After returning in 1814, the regiment was temporarily disbanded. In March 1822 the infantry regiment was rebuilt with the 1st body and the 2nd battalion with 5 companies each. In 1830 the regiment consisted of 3 battalions of 4 companies each (grenadiers, light body battalion and infantrymen). Until 1867, the regiment continued to be referred to as the "Black Group".
When the Duchy of Braunschweig became a member of the newly founded North German Confederation in 1867 , the previous regiments also received new names: These included the Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92, the Duke Braunschweig Hussar Regiment No. 17 and the Duke Braunschweig Battery of the Hanoverian Field Artillery Regiment No. 10. This was accompanied by the introduction of general conscription and the Prussian military laws. The troops were equipped with needle guns . Together with the artillery, the regiment belonged to theX Army Corps . 
Establishment of the corps in 1809
The Black Corps was raised by the Duke at his own expense for the purpose of possible support for Austria when war broke out with France. This was recorded on February 25, 1809 in an agreement between Duke Friedrich Wilhelm and Lieutenant Colonel Freiherr von Steinmetzer, the representative of Austria. This treaty is therefore regarded as the real hour of birth of the regiment. Likewise, the troop strength was initially set at around 2000 men. The official name of the corps was "Herzoglich Braunschweigisches Corps". The color of the coats was to be mottled gray, the uniforms were set to black with light blue facings, and the colors of the standard symbols were set to yellow and silver. The formation of the troops ready to march should be completed a maximum of two months after the conclusion of the contract. The corps was equipped with clothing, weapons and ammunition from Austria's KuK magazine. That included 1000Carabiners , 1000 light infantry rifles and 1000 Prussian pistols as well as two light howitzers and two six-pound cannons and ammunition. This contract was signed in Vienna. 
On January 1, 1815, the III. Battalion with 4 companies set up as the Braunschweigisches Leibbataillon , which existed until October 1, 1893.
In 1837 it was decided to build a new barracks outside the city walls of Braunschweig. The new infantry barracks at Fallersleber Tor was inaugurated and occupied in 1841. The soldiers were housed in rooms with three-story beds, which offered little space. Only after the expansion of the facility did the Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment move in. 
|Ducal Braunschweigisches Corps as part of the black crowd||1809 (April–August)|
|Anglo-Braunschweig light infantry regiment||1809 to 1810|
|Braunschweig-Lüneburg hunters||1810 to 1814|
|temporarily disbanded only as the Braunschweigisches Leibbataillon||1815 to 1822|
|Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment||1822 to 1867|
|Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92||1867 to 1893|
|Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92||1893 to 1919|
With the outbreak of the German-Danish War , the Dukes of the Duchy of Schleswig and the Duchy of Holstein as well as King Friedrich Wilhelm IV. Requested military assistance from the Duchies of Braunschweig, Schwerin and Oldenburg . Duke Wilhelm then convened the War College on March 29, 1848 to discuss the measures. By April 16, the regiment's battalions had arrived at the battlefield near Bramstedt . Then the infantry regiment was in the fighting on April 24 at Bilschau and on May 28 at Nübel-Mühleand on May 31st in a skirmish near Alnoor and on June 7th in battle near Stenderup-Düppel . In 1849 further missions followed, for example in the cannonade of Sonderburg on May 17th and again in June in a battle near Düppel. 
The regiment was commanded in 1870 by Colonel Heinrich Haberland and his adjutant, Second Lieutenant von Otto. It was divided into the 1st and 2nd Battalion (Btl.) And the Fusilier Body Battalion. The individual battalions consisted of four companies each . The 1st Btl. Was subordinate to Major von Erichsen, the 2nd Btl. Major von Rittmeyer and the Leib-Bataillon Major von Münchhausen. There were only twelve Brunswick officers who were deployed as lieutenants, while the remaining 36 officer positions were filled by reserve officers or reserve non-commissioned officers. 
On July 16, 1870 at 4 a.m. the mobilization order reached the district command in the city of Braunschweig . On July 27, a field service was held in Blankenburg before the companies of the Leib battalion marched off towards Halberstadt . For the rest of the regiment, a service was held in Braunschweig in front of the infantry barracks in the presence of Duke Wilhelm. 
The battalions were transported by train to Bingerbrück on July 27, from where they marched via Kreuznach through the Palatinate to Saargemünd . They had crossed the border to France on August 8 at Frauenberg . The infantry fought on August 16 at Mars-la-Tour , two days later at Gravelotte and St. Privat and participated in the enclosure and siege of Metz from August 19 to October 27 . During this time the soldiers received so-called love gifts from their native Braunschweig. These donations were sent by train or post to Courcellespromoted and forwarded to the soldiers by the Baron von Cramm . Through a total of three transports from Braunschweig and one from Blankenburg, the troops received woolen blankets and shirts, waist bands, socks and tobacco products. Of these, for example, each battalion received around 23,000 cigars on September 5, 1870.  The siege was followed by the battles at Bellevue , Orléans and Le Mans . While the main part of the regiment was withdrawn from further fighting, the III. Battalion still used at Chauffour, Chassillé and Saint-Jean-sur-Erve .
After the troops returned to the realm of Alsace-Lorraine on March 20, 1871, the regiment belonged to the association of the newly founded 15th Army Corps whose general command was in Strasbourg . The regiment formed with the 7th Brandenburg Infantry Regiment No. 60 the 60th Saarburg Infantry Brigade of the 30th Metz Division . General von Fransecky was in command of the 15th Army Corps . The commander of the 30th Division was Major General von Sandrart and the commander of the 60th Infantry Brigade was Major General von Lehmann .
Years between the wars
"His Highness the Duke [...] deigned to lend the Ducal Infantry Regiment No. 92 in recognition of its glorious participation in the campaign against France in 1870/71 [...] flag ribbons with the inscriptions: for the 1st Battalion ' Le Mans', for the 2nd battalion 'Vendôme' and for the fusilier (body) battalion 'Chassillé'. […] Braunschweig, December 2nd, 73 - on the highest orders "
The award ceremony took place on January 12, 1874, the commemoration day of the Battle of Le Mans, in which all three battalions took part. In Pfalzburg it was carried out by the regimental commander Colonel von Tschirschky for the 1st and 2nd battalions and in Zabern by Major von Packzinsky, the commander of the body battalion. The flag ribbons were blue, 90 cm long and embroidered with gold-colored letters. [8th]
The association then remained stationed in Alsace-Lorraine to garrison the Pfalzburg, Marsal , Dieuze and Saarburg areas . The troop contingent belonging to Braunschweig there also included two Landwehr battalions as well as the Hussar Regiment No. 17 and the Battery No. 6 around 1880. At this time, these troops were subordinate to the 15th Army Corps. 
Since 1887 the regiment, together with the 2nd Hanoverian Infantry Regiment No. 77, formed the 40th Infantry Brigade of the 20th Division of the X Army Corps Hanover. That year the troops returned to the Braunschweig garrison. From 1893 the regiment was referred to as Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92.
The fusilier battalion, which was now officially named 3rd (body) battalion due to a cabinet ordinance of January 4, was officially given permission by Kaiser Wilhelm II to continue to wear the skull as a battalion symbol. Announced by Major Hans Bauer von Bauern on March 30, 1889:
"I hereby authorize the 3rd (body) battalion of the Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 to continue to lead the Todtenkopf, under whose emblem it has fought victoriously in numerous battles, as a reminder of its glorious past."
Family tables of the regiment
|Anglo-Braunschweig Infantry Regiment|
|The regiment was established on April 1, 1809 in Náchod with 2 battalions of 8 companies. On June 23, a company of snipers arrived in Leipzig, and on July 23 a free hunter battalion with two companies in Zwickau. The regiment was reorganized into 12 companies on the Isle of Wight and put into service with Great Britain on September 25, 1809. After the war on the Iberian Peninsula, it retired from this service on December 24, 1814 and became part of the Light Infantry Brigade as a body battalion.|
|Light Infantry Brigade||Line Infantry Brigade|
|Avant-garde: from April 8, 1815 to February 1, 1816, 2 companies each of gray hunters and light infantry||Battalion "von Pröstler": from December 24th, 1814 with 4 companies, from April 14th, 1815 under the designation Leib-Bataillon||1st light infantry battalion: November 11, 1813 (Braunschweig) to 4 companies, from November 30 to January 1, 1814 + 2 companies||2nd and 3rd light infantry battalions: January 1, 1814 to February 1, 1816 of 4 companies each||1st Line Infantry Battalion: January 14, 1814 (Braunschweig) with 4 companies||2nd Line Infantry Battalion: January 14, 1814 (Braunschweig) with 4 companies||3rd Line Infantry Battalion: March 8, 1814 to February 1, 1816 (Braunschweig) with 4 companies|
|Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment|
|dissolved||1st or Leib-Battalion: Assembled on May 15, 1822 with 5 companies from the light infantry brigade||dissolved||2nd Battalion: On May 15, 1822, assembled with 5 companies from the Line Infantry Brigade||dissolved|
|1st Line Infantry Regiment|
|Guard Grenadier Battalion: February 1, 1824 with 4 companies and in Prussian uniforms||1st battalion: 1824 with 4 companies and in Prussian uniforms||2nd battalion: 1824 with 4 companies and in Prussian uniforms||Jäger or Leib battalion: February 1, 1824 with 4 companies and in black uniforms|
|Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92|
|1st Battalion: On October 21, 1830 with 4 companies until May 1, 1843, also referred to as Grenadier Battalion.||On October 3, 1867, the Duke of Braunschweig Infantry Regiment received No. 92||3rd or light body battalion: On October 21, 1830 with 4 companies, became independent from May 1, 1831 to October 3, 1867 as the Braunschweigisches Leibbataillon and then became part of the Infantry Regiment as a fusilier (body) battalion 92|
|Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 (from October 1, 1893)|
|Reserve Infantry Brigade until February 1816|
|[1.] Braunschweig Reserve Battalion: March 1, 1814 (with number up to February 21, 1815)||[2.] Reserve Battalion Wolfenbüttel: March 1, 1814 (with number up to February 21, 1815)||[3.] Reserve Battalion Helmstedt: March 1, 1814 (with number up to February 21, 1815)||[4.] Reserve Battalion Blankenburg: March 1, 1814 (originally number 5 until February 21, 1815) from the Harz Reserve Battalion||[5.] Reserve Battalion Eschershausen: March 1, 1814 (originally number 4 until February 21, 1815) from there Reserve Battalion Weser|
|Reserve Infantry Brigade from February 1816|
|Reserve Battalion Wolfenbüttel: On February 15, 1816 from the Braunschweig and Wolfenbüttel battalions||Reserve Battalion Helmstedt: February 15, 1816||Reserve Battalion of the Harz Mountains: February 15, 1816||Reserve Battalion of the Weser: February 15, 1816|
|On May 15, 1822, a 64-man reserve battalion cadre was formed from the previous reserve infantry brigade .|
|2nd Line Infantry Regiment|
|1824 initially as a reserve and garrison of Wolfenbüttel and on November 8th was assigned to the 2nd Line Infantry Regiment since May 25, 1827 as 1st Battalion (4 regiments).||Founded on May 28, 1824 as a 2nd battalion with four regiments|
|2nd Battalion of the Duke Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92|
|Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 (from October 1, 1893)|
- The 4th Battalion
In 1893, due to a change in the law on August 3 of that year, a 4th battalion was added, which, however, consisted of only two companies. This battalion was introduced to relieve the other three, as a two-year service period was introduced at the same time. In 1894 it received its own flag, which was modeled on the Frederician Grenardier flags. It consisted of white cloth and showed a golden old Prussian flying eagle in a crowned laurel wreath, which was holding a sword and a thunderbolt. The motto “Pro gloria et patria” was attached underneath. It was brought to Berlin for the festive nailing and flag consecration, where His Majesty the Kaiser in person on October 17th in the ruling hall of the armoryhit the first nail. The consecration of the flag took place on the following day at the monument to Frederick the Great . On October 20th it was ceremoniously handed over in the courtyard of the infantry barracks. The battalion was disbanded on April 1, 1897. 
First World War
On August 1, 1914, the German Kaiser Wilhelm II ordered the mobilization of all armed forces in the army and navy. As a result, in 1914 an officer of Infantry Regiment No. 92 read out the “Declaration of War” publicly in the city of Braunschweig. The regiment mobilized on August 2, 1914 and entered neutral Belgium on August 6 and 7 with several trains from Braunschweig main station to the High Fens .
- From there the advance of the troops assigned to the 40th Infantry Brigade began. They marched west to the east of Charleroi situated Sambre . The association first took part in the conquest of Liège and the fighting near Namur and, at the end of the month, in northern France in the battle of St. Quentin .  The II. Replacement Battalion of Brunswick Infantry Regiment. 92 was formed in Braunschweig with the replacement battalion of the Reserve Infantry Regiment. 78, the 1st Battalion of the financial statement established on September 1, 1914 Reserve Infantry Regiment # 208 .  During the fighting on theAisne , the 7th Company had to be disbanded due to losses on September 22, 1914 and could only be re-formed eight days later. From November 13 to December 1, 1914, the regiment was briefly subordinate to the 39th Infantry Brigade.
- Advance in Belgium and France via Namur, Roselies , Devant, les Bois, Orth, St. Quentin, Guise, Audigny, Claudieu, Battle of the Marne , Congy, Talus, St. Pris, Prünay, Betheny, Courcy.
- Alleged "massacre in Roselies"
- First, on August 22nd, the 2nd and 3rd Battalion of Regiment 92 advanced to reinforce Roselies, the place was on the route of the troops to France. Although Belgium was neutral, the soldiers occupied a loop of the Sambre river to prevent French troops from breaking north.  The fighting is said to have resulted in a " massacre " of the local residents. However, there is no evidence of this. The Belgian “Rapports et Documents d'Enquête”, Volume 1, No. 2, “Rapports sur les attentats commis par les troupes allemandes pendant l'invasion et l'occupation de la Belgique” of the “Commission d'Enquête sur les”, published in 1923 Violations of the Règles du Droits des Gens, the Lois et des Coutumes de la Guerre »[Note 1] report four civilians killed (three of them from Roselies), but otherwise do not mention any other civilian victims. Four of the 1032 residents of the village were killed, and 160 pillages and 91 incendies were reportedly carried out. There are also shootings (“fusillade”), arbitrary arrests of the civilian population (“Civils emprisonnés arbitrairement”) and some French soldiers are said to have been killed (“Soldats français achevés”).  A newly built barracks in Braunschweig was opened in 1938 by the National SocialistsChristened "Roselies-Kaserne". This designation was also used in 1956 for the Bundeswehr location there. After the dissolution of the Braunschweig garrison at the end of 2003 and the associated demolition of various barracks, including the Roselies barracks, the name "Roselies" continued as the name of a street and a residential area on the former barracks site. The two new development areas that have been built since 2008 are part of the Braunschweig district of Lindenberg , which was created in 1938 . The working group “Now strikes 13” tried to provide information about the naming with campaigns and leaflets and advocated a historical review of the events.  The Braunschweig citizens' initiative(BIBS) made a request to the city of Braunschweig in 2014, which deals with the naming of the city district and dealing with the past.  On September 1, 2018, the city of Braunschweig officially inaugurated the "Roselies Garden of Remembrance", which is located in the green area of the district in the extension of Eulerstrasse. It consists of two walls of espalier fruit planted with Belgian trees and an information board that draws attention to the events of World War I. A representative of the Belgian community also spoke at the inauguration. 
- On March 22, 1915, the association was expanded by a 14th, 15th and 16th company before the regiment was transferred to the Eastern Front a month later . After the heavy fighting near Krasnostaw , these units had to be disbanded on July 18, 1915. Locations: La Neuvilette, Berr au Bac, Courcy, Fresnes; from May 1 to September 19, 1915 Tarnow-Gorlice, Lubaczow, Lemberg, Krasnostaw; Then at Champagny and Somme-Py .
- By June 1916 the regiment returned to the Western Front . On June 13, 1916, it received two more machine-gun companies , was engaged in fighting on the Stochod for the next few months and changed fronts twice. From May 18 to November 20, 1916 deployment in the east near Volhynia , Zapust, Żurawice and Cholopice.
- Other places in the east were Zapurece, Lipinow, Kowel, Kisielin. This was followed by fighting in the west on the Aisne, Aisne-Champagne and Ripont. From September 15 to 27 again in the east at Landestreuhandstelle, Nowica and in Riga and then the association took from October 1917 to position battles in Flanders and Artois in part, by the autumn battle was interrupted. After heavy losses at Passendale , Zonnebeeke and Poelcapelle, the remnants of the regiment were formed into two companies on October 5, 1917. Only at the end of the month was the bandage replenished with a replacement . This was followed by missions in the Battle of Cambrai .
- After the German spring offensive, the last year of the war was mainly characterized by defensive battles. In mid-September 1918, the 3rd Company had to be disbanded after losses. After the regiment at Havrincourt had been wiped out, the remnants were formed into a combat battalion with three companies. Despite a difficult substitute situation, the association with the assistance of the III. The battalion of the disbanded Reserve Infantry Regiment was replenished from October 24, 1918 and received an MW company two days later .
- Deployment in the “Imperial Battle”, storming the Meuse heights, near Soissons and Reims, in Flanders, near Scarpe, on the Somme, near Havrincourt, Cambrai and St. Quentin.
The remnants of the regiment returned to the garrison in Braunschweig after the end of the war , where demobilization took place on December 3, 1918 . In January 1919, the Lower Saxony Volunteer Jägerkorps was formed from parts with an MG company, which was expanded to become the Braunschweig Jäger Regiment on April 17, 1919. This went in June 1919 as III. Battalion in the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 20 of the Provisional Reichswehr.
The tradition in the Reichswehr was adopted by the 1st and 4th companies of the 17th Infantry Regiment on August 24, 1921, by decree of the Chief of Army Command, General der Infanterie Hans von Seeckt .
|Rank (since)||Name||Date  |
|Colonel (April 28, 1809)||Johann Heinrich Carl von Bernewitz||May 8, 1809 to September 24, 1809|
|Lieutenant Colonel (September 25, 1809)||Georg Ludwig Korfes||September 25, 1809 to December 31, 1810|
|Oberst||Johann Heinrich Carl von Bernewitz||February 14, 1811 to November 23, 1811|
|Oberstleutnant (May 28, 1812)||Friedrich August von Herzberg||Spring 1812 to January 17, 1815|
|–||Vacant||January 18, 1815 to May 7, 1821|
|Lieutenant Colonel (May 22, 1821) , Colonel (April 25, 1824)||Friedrich Ludwig von Wachholtz||May 8, 1822 to October 20, 1830|
|Lieutenant Colonel (December 30, 1828) , Colonel (October 1, 1836)||Heinrich August Christian von Brandenstein||October 21, 1830 to September 28, 1841|
|Major (1830) , Lieutenant Colonel (September 11, 1842) , Colonel (July 24, 1848)||Friedrich Karl von Specht||September 28, 1841 to August 22, 1849|
|Lieutenant Colonel (April 23, 1849) , Colonel (April 24, 1852)||Heinrich Louis||August 23, 1849 to February 13, 1855|
|Major (1851) , Lieutenant Colonel (March 19, 1855) , Colonel (April 25, 1858)||Wilhelm von Bernewitz||February 16, 1855 to December 11, 1861|
|Colonel (December 12, 1861)||Gustav von Girsewald||December 12, 1861 to June 16, 1868|
|Lieutenant Colonel (May 17, 1865) , Colonel (September 24, 1868)||Gustav von Görtz-Wrisberg||July 11, 1868 to February 5, 1869|
|Lieutenant Colonel (March 12, 1869)||Heinrich Haberland||March 12, 1869 to April 5, 1870 (in charge of the tour)|
|Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel (July 25, 1870)||Heinrich Haberland||April 6, 1870 to March 24, 1873|
|Colonel (March 22, 1873)||Ernst Richard von Tschirschky and Bögendorff||March 31, 1873 to April 15, 1874|
|Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel (September 19, 1874)||Maximilian vom Berge and Herrendorff||April 30, 1874 to April 12, 1878|
|Colonel (April 20, 1877)||Maximilian von Förster||April 20, 1878 to March 1, 1880|
|Lieutenant Colonel (March 22, 1876) , Colonel (September 18, 1880)||Gustav von der Mülbe||March 21, 1880 to December 11, 1885|
|Colonel (December 15, 1885)||Wilhelm von der Mülbe||December 12, 1885 to February 15, 1889|
|Lieutenant Colonel (December 4, 1886)||Eduard von Müller||February 16 to March 21, 1889 (in charge of the tour)|
|Colonel (March 22, 1889)||Eduard von Müller||March 22, 1889 to May 15, 1891|
|Oberstleutnant (May 22, 1889)||Wilhelm von Oertzen||May 16, 1891 to June 15, 1891 (in charge of the tour)|
|Colonel (June 16, 1891)||Wilhelm von Oertzen||June 16, 1891 to May 12, 1895|
|Oberst (May 13, 1895)||Arthur von Brietzke||May 13, 1895 to November 24, 1898|
|Colonel (November 25, 1898)||Alexander von Kanitz||November 25, 1898 to November 13, 1901|
|Colonel (April 18, 1901)||Alfred von Lyncker||November 14, 1901 to January 26, 1905|
|Colonel (January 27, 1905)||Konrad von Loeben||January 27, 1905 to April 13, 1907|
|Colonel (April 14, 1907)||Serious of one||April 14, 1907 to March 19, 1911|
|Colonel (April 20, 1909)||Ludwig von Estorff||March 20, 1911 to September 30, 1912|
|Colonel (April 22, 1912)||Hans Karl von Winterfeldt||October 1, 1912 to August 1, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Richard Schollmeyer||August 2 to September 30, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Markus Stachow||October 6, 1914 to March 2, 1915|
|Lieutenant colonel||Karl Dürr||March 3, 1915 to August 16, 1916|
|Lieutenant colonel||Hans von Heynitz||August 20, 1916 to December 5, 1917|
|Lieutenant colonel||Wilhelm von Marcard||December 6, 1917 to July 9, 1918|
|Major||Kurt von Behr||July 10-28, 1918|
|Lieutenant colonel||Willi von Normann||July 29, 1918 to February 9, 1919|
- Battalions of the light infantry: Black dolman with ten rows of black cords and tassels and glass buttons. Black cuffs and for the different battalions I. blue, II. Yellow and III. orange collar and armpit panels .
- Line battalions: Black collets (similar to a tailcoat ) with a row of buttons and colored collars, armpit flaps and lap trimmings . The I. in red and the II. In green.
Both the light and the line infantry wore a shakot with a horse's tail and skull symbol as headgear . The uniform pants were trimmed with tucks in the color of the collar. For this, the soldiers wore a bandolier with cartridge box and a coupling with bayonet - sheath made of black leather. The knapsackswere made of black painted canvas. They had a painted white hunter's horn and, in the case of the line battalion, a white horse on the lid. The equipment also included a black-colored drill bread bag. The non-commissioned officers had a woolen blue and yellow cord sash from the rank of sergeant upwards . The rifles of the light battalions were French, those of the line battalions English.
The officers' uniforms corresponded to those of the battalion, but they were decorated with additional black soutache embroidery, had more rows of cord in the chest area and an additional three rows of black buttons. Under their dolman they wore vests in the collar color of the uniform, which were trimmed with silver buttons and cords. The pants had wide lampasses in the same color. The string sashes were silver and plaited with yellow silk. The gloves of the line were white, those of the others were green. The officers also carried a saber with a silver portepee . 
- Guard Grenadier Battalion: Dark blue collar with two rows of white buttons and white guard braid on a red collar and red Swedish lapels. The lap was also red and the armpit tabs white. In addition, gray trousers with red piping and gray gaiters . Pure white trousers were worn in summer. In addition, a curved saber with a brass handle and, depending on the company, colored saber tassels on white paddocks. (1st white, 2nd red, 3rd blue, 4th green slider on white tassels , NCOs blue and white and for the minstrels red tassels) In addition, a black cartridge pouch with flaming grenades in the corners and the Duke's name. High grenadier caps served as headgearwith black bearskin cover and leather shade as well as white fittings and scale chains. On the right side a blue and white pompom and a blue and white plume were attached. In front was a white sign that said Waterloo and a trophy of arms and a double intertwined C with a crown. The uniform came with a white knapsack and a grenadier rifle with a long bayonet. The officers wore dark blue tails with long tails and silver braids. The trousers had two broad red stripes. In addition a Prussian sword . The mounted officers wore white leather trousers and high gauntlets.
- Line regiment: Prussian uniforms like the Guard Grenadiers, but without the Gardelitzen and with a different headgear. This consisted of a felt chakot trimmed with leather and metal white scale chains. It was marked with a white star, which bore the double C on a red shield as the name of Duke Karl. They continued to carry their English rifles and bayonet scabbards on their belts.
- Jäger- or Leib-Battalion: Wore the black uniforms as before, at this time the writing "Peninsula" was probably added below the skull on the Tschakot. The enlisted received a hanger as a side weapon, the officers a curved saber with a hunter Horn symbol. As a firearm, the hunters carried a drawn Hanover rifle with seven rifles. 
- A resolution of September 29, 1848 stipulated that the Prussian-style uniforms should be abolished and replaced by the regiment's original black uniforms. Instead of the Dolman used in 1815, the Polrock was reintroduced. In contrast to the Leib Battalion, the color of the trousers was gray instead of black. The officers received a gray paletot with a light blue collar and white gloves. The armpits were silver. In addition, black saddlecloths with a blue border were introduced for the officers . 
Memorials and commemorations
- In memory of the soldiers of the newly established regiment who died in the battle near Ölper in 1809, an obelisk was ceremoniously inaugurated in Ölper on October 15, 1843 . 
- By order of the Duchy of Braunschweig, a memorial was erected on the former battlefield in Belgium in honor of the 75th anniversary of the death of Duke Friedrich Wilhelm, who died in Quatre-Bras on June 16, 1815 , and was ceremoniously unveiled on July 15, 1890 by a delegation. Among others, Friedrich Johann von Alvensleben , the German envoy from Brussels, Lieutenant General Robert von Wachholtz as a representative of the duchy, as well as Baron von Cramm, the ducal envoy from Berlin, and the commanders Colonel von Müller and von Pappenheim for the regiment were present. Lieutenant General von Wachholtz gave a festive speech and Freiherr von Cramm laid a wreath at the monument, that of the Prince RegentAlbrecht had been donated. Colonel von Müller also laid a wreath for the founder of the Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92. Another ceremony of honor for the fallen of 1815 took place in Braunschweig on July 18. 
- In 1895, commemorative celebrations of the battles of Vendôme and Chassillé were held and on December 16 of this year were awarded to particularly deserving members of the Iron Cross Regiment and the Order of Henry the Lion . 
- On November 19, 1922, a monument with a sleeping Brunswick lion was inaugurated at the Braunschweig main cemetery , which bears the inscription "In the World War 1914–1918, the heroic death of 3 regimental commanders, 143 officers, 4668 NCOs and men" and the infantry regiment No. 92 is dedicated. The memorial was made by the sculptor Jakob Hofmann. Another memorial for the regiment is on the edge of the cemetery of honor. It was donated by Duke Ernst August in 1914. It bears the inscription: “Soldiers of the Brunswick IR92 rest here. They died a heroic death in the great war for Prince and Fatherland on August 23, 1914. ”It was originally built in 1915 near Devant les Bois in Belgium and transferred to Braunschweig on May 4, 1958. 
|Club name or club headquarters||Founding day||Number of members in 1909|
|Association of former officers [comrades] of the Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 (Braunschweig)||January 28, 1891||369|
|Hamburg||30. June 1896||81|
|Wolfenbüttel||19. June 1897||185|
|Association of Former Comrades of Brunswick Troops in Berlin (from 1907)||October 30, 1897||62 + 21 hussars|
|Hannover||October 10, 1900||84|
|Alsace-Lorraine Association of Former Members of the Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 (Metz)||March 19, 1904||61|
|Penalty||October 23, 1904||52|
|Blankenburg||February 16, 1908||162|
|Halberstadt||27. April 1908||33|
|Association of former members of Braunschweig regiments from the city of Celle and the surrounding area||4th July 1908||18 + 13 hussars|
|Publications of the clubs|
- Werner Otto: History of the ducal Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92. Since joining the North German Confederation to the present (1867–1877). Adolf Hafferburg, Braunschweig 1878, OCLC 33191269 .
- Gustav Baur: Brief history of the Herzogl. Brunswick Inf.-Regts. No. 92. For instruction for NCOs and men. For the celebration of the 75th anniversary (April 1, 1884). Lang, Metz 1884, OCLC 258241332 .
- Gustav Franz Achatius von Kortzfleisch , Lieutenant General ret. D. von Otto: History of the Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92.
- Volume 1: The Black Corps 1809 and the Anglo-Braunschweig Infantry Regiment until 1814. Albert Limbach, Braunschweig 1896, OCLC 834741636 ( tu-braunschweig.de PDF).
- Volume 2: From the establishment of the new troop corps in 1813 to the outbreak of war in 1870. Albert Limbach, Braunschweig 1898, OCLC 834742952 ( tu-braunschweig.de PDF).
- Volume 3: The Franco-German War and the Time of Peace since 1871. Albert Limbach, Braunschweig 1903, OCLC 751605842 ( tu-braunschweig.de PDF).
- The centenary of Braunschweig. Infantry Regiment No. 92 on April 1, 1909. With an addendum to the history of the regiment. Limbach, Braunschweig 1909, OCLC 837274254 ( tu-braunschweig.de PDF).
- Walter Voigt: On the march through Belgium and France on January 1, 1992. War experiences from August and September 1914. Appelhans Verlag , Braunschweig 1924, OCLC 64418779 .
- Friedrich von Sobbe: History of the Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 in the World War 1914-1918. Tradition Kolk, Berlin 1929, OCLC 246299404 .
- Walther Beckmann, Ernst von Eisenhart-Rothe : Former. Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 (Braunschweig). Maintaining tradition in the 17th Infantry Regiment (= The tradition of the German Army. 105th) Kyffhäuser Verlag, Berlin around 1938, OCLC 834225047 .
- Georg Ortenburg: Brunswick military. Elm Verlag, Cremlingen 1987, ISBN 3-9800219-6-3 .
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 , pp. 164f.
- History of Infantry Regiment No. 92. (IR 92) on elkridgeorchard.com (English)
- Braunschweig Infantry Regiment No. 92 1880 on grosser-generalstab.de (drawing by Knötel)
- IR 92 on wiki-de.genealogy.net
- The Brunswick troops during the time of the North German Confederation 1867–1871 and the German Empire 1871–1918 ( Memento from February 25, 2005 in the Internet Archive ) on archive.today.
- Kortzfleisch: 1. Establishment of the corps. In: The Black Corps 1809 and the Anglo-Braunschweig Infantry Regiment until 1814. pp. 2-6.
- Daniel Weßelhöf: military life in the 19th century. Everyday military life in war and peace using the example of the Braunschweig Army. on brunswiek-historica.de (PDF, p. 5.)
- Kortzfleisch: V. Schleswig-Holstein. In: From the establishment of the new troop corps in 1813 to the outbreak of war in 1870. pp. 205–321 and combat calendar - 1848–1849. War against denmark. In: The Black Corps 1809 and the Anglo-Braunschweig Infantry Regiment until 1814. P. 361.
- Kortzfleisch: mobilization and marching out. In: The Franco-German War and the Peace Time since 1871. pp. 4–7.
- Kortzfleisch: mobilization and marching out. In: The Franco-German War and the Peace Time since 1871. pp. 13–15.
- Kortzfleisch: The Franco-German War and the Peace Time since 1871. P. 95–97.
- Kortzfleisch: service operations 1873–1877 - flag ribbons. In: The Franco-German War and Peace Time since 1871. pp. 349–350.
- Military on deutsche-schutzgebiete.de.
- Kortzfleisch: Imperial visit - Todtenkopf award to the 3rd (body) battalion. In: The Franco-German War and Peace Time since 1871. pp. 410–411.
- Kortzfleisch: Establishment of the 4th battalion. In: The Franco-German War and the Time of Peace since 1871. pp. 423–431.
- Braunschweigisches Infanterie-Regiment No. 92. ( Memento from July 25, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) on weltkriegsopfer.de.
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the units and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 2: Reserve and Landwehr Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2012, ISBN 978-3-902526-52-6 , p. 146.
- Heroic depiction of the fighting in Roselies, Belgium, by the Braunschweig war and battle painter Elmar von Eschwege ; published in 1914 in the booklet collection published by Martin Bücking The Braunschweiger in the World War 1914–1918 , a German propaganda series .
- 7. Combat de Roselies (21–23 August 1914) - Battle of Charleroi auf sambre-marne-yser.be.
- Investigation Reports and Documents , Band 1, Nr. 2, S. 694.
- “Roselies” is not a girl's name on Jetzt-schlaegts-13.com.
- Inquiry: What does “Roselies” stand for? (PDF) on bibs-fraktion.de.
- Garden of Remembrance. City of Braunschweig, accessed on November 16, 2020 .
- Kortzfleisch: Officer tribe list. in Volume 1 .: The Black Corps 1809 and the Anglo-Braunschweig Infantry Regiment until 1814. pp. 335–358.
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The staffing of the active infantry regiments as well as the hunter and machine gun battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , p. 237 ff.
- Kortzfleisch: From the establishment of the new troop corps in 1813 until the outbreak of war in 1870. P. 19 f.
- Kortzfleisch: From the establishment of the new troop corps in 1813 to the outbreak of war in 1870. P. 151 f.
- Kortzfleisch: From the establishment of the new troop corps in 1813 until the outbreak of war in 1870. P. 298 f.
- Kortzfleisch: in: From the establishment of the new troop corps in 1813 to the outbreak of war in 1870. S. 199/200.
- Kortzfleisch: monument at Qautrebras. In: The Franco-German War and the Peace Time since 1871. P. 421 f.
- Kortzfleisch: Memorial celebrations 1895. In: The Franco-German war and the time of peace since 1871. P. 432–437.
- 92nd Infantry Regiment ( Memento from November 3, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) on gedenkstaette-friedenskapelle.de.
- Kortzfleisch: The centenary of Braunschweig. Infantry Regiment No. 92 on April 1, 1909. With an addendum to the history of the regiment. Annex III.
- Investigation reports and documents. Volume 1, No. 2. Brussels 1923, reports on the attacks by German troops during the invasion and occupation of Belgium. Committee of Inquiry into Violations of the Rules of Human Rights, Laws and Customs of War. (PDF) [refers to the Hague Land Warfare Regulations ].