Pedroso Castle - Castillo Pedroso
|• Autonomous communication||Cantabria|
|• Municipality||Corvera de Toranzo|
|• Altitude||463 masl|
|Population||144 have. ( INE 2016 )|
|Pattern||San Pantaleón (July 27)|
Castillo Pedroso is a town in the municipality of Corvera de Toranzo ( Cantabria , Spain ). In 2016 it had a population of 144 inhabitants ( INE ). The town is 463 meters above sea level , and 5 kilometers from the municipal capital, San Vicente de Toranzo . [ 1 ]
It is perched on a hillock overlooking the Toranzo valley, through which the river Pas runs, famous for its trout and salmon in fishing season and which gives its name to the Pasiega region. Castillo Pedroso offers an ideal natural environment for lovers of outdoor sports, such as hiking, road biking or mountain biking through the peaks of Cildá, Cotorredondo, Espina del Gallego, La Cuera or the Requejada forest.
- Ruiz de Villegas Palace -
It is a mountain-style manor house, built around 1715 by the lord of the Casa de Villegas de Castillo Pedroso , Sancho Ruiz de Villegas and Díaz de Terán ( ibid. , September 15, 1681 -?, June 1725) , after inheriting a great fortune from his maternal uncle Santos Díaz de Terán in 1711, with whom he lived and worked in Antequera of the Viceroyalty of New Spain (present-day Mexico ). He was a direct descendant of the founder of the new site since 1433 , Sancho Ruiz de Villegas I , lord of Villasevil , Aceredaand Castillo Pedroso, and commander of the Order of Santiago , who in turn, was second-born of Ruy Pérez de Villegas II who was Merino mayor of Castile and lord of Caracena until 1366 , Moñux until 1376 , Cóbreces , Villegas , Villamorón , Villasevil, Castillo Pedroso, Acereda, Pedrosa del Páramo , Manciles and Valdegómez , as well as the palace of Sasamón, among others. The architecture is of a civil type, with a quadrangular plan and two heights. Its façade is made of ashlar masonry and has a hallway with four arches supported on pillars and above them there is an iron balcony with the great coat of arms of the Ruiz de Villegas on the right-hand side.
- Church of San Pantaleón -
This parish bears the invocation of San Pantaleón Mártir. It has a simple semicircular doorway and a ribbed vault. It preserves an interesting stone baptistery decorated with gallons, a human head on each side, balls on the edge and the base with four monsters. This church received from Santos Díaz de Terán, knight of Alcántara , a large silver lamp to illuminate the Blessed Sacrament.
- Hermitage of Carmen -
The hermitage of Carmen is from the 18th century and has an altarpiece of rockery, typical of the decorative baroque. In its surroundings there is a beautiful public park.
- House of the Inquisition -
- Puerto del Portillón - El Portillón is a mountain pass in Cantabria (Spain). It has an altitude of 569 meters above sea level, is 2nd category and serves as a link between the Iguña valley and the Toranzo valley, crossing the Anievas valley (CA-271).
Festivals of interest
- July 27 - Great Festivities of San Pantaleón.
- El "Carmuco" - The Sunday following the feast of the Virgen del Carmen.
- The Cattle Fair - Held the last Sunday in August.
- Trail Castillo Pedroso.
ICANE: Cantabrian Institute of Statistics.