The director of film or film director is the person who directs the filming of a movie , instructing the actors , decides the setting chamber supervises the decoration and costumes , and all other functions necessary for the successful completion of filming .
Previously he will have intervened in numerous tasks, mainly the realization of the technical script ( framing , shot, camera movements , lens and angulation), such as the selection or casting of the actors and other professionals, the natural settings in which the film will be shot. film, the sets, or the final writing of the script .
In film, the term director is considered synonymous with the director. In television, on the other hand, the director is generally the one who directs the technical phase of recording both in the studio and outdoors, while the director may be responsible for the contents of a program. There is also a floor manager and a lighting, photography, etc. director. In the cinema, the filmmaker interprets the script, directs the actors, determines camera planes and angles, light, camera movements and duration of the shot, among other things, what makes the film director's counterpart. Today, film directors are recognized as the authors of the audiovisual product in which they work.
In Latin America (as in the United States ) there is no such meaning of the term director, but only director or general director. In Spain, both titles are applied indistinctly for film directors, while "director" applies to professionals who have functions equivalent to that of film director.
In Mexico , the role of the film director is a job that does not have much support or much technology for its full realization, it has suffered for many years from political conditions that compromise the artistic vision, however, in recent years there has been a resurgence by various directors such as Alejandro González Iñárritu , Luis Estrada , Guillermo del Toro and the brothers Carlos and Alfonso Cuarón .
The training of the television producer is broader. It includes cinematographic directing and requires greater knowledge and practice for the execution of live programs, both in the studio and outdoors with multiple cameras. This work involves the simultaneous control of very sophisticated electronic equipment and the coordination of other professionals who collaborate in the studio, technical control, mobile units and television stations (cameramen, graphic designers, illuminators, set designers, sound technicians, mixers, VTR technicians , link technicians, engineers, etc.).
The expression comes from the term realizer , used in France both in film and television for directors.
Film directors create an overview through which a movie is finally made. [ 1 ] Realizing this vision includes overseeing the artistic and technical elements of film production, as well as directing the shooting schedule and meeting deadlines or deadlines. [ 2 ] [ 3 ] This involves organizing the crew so that it achieves its Vision film. [ 4 ] [ 5 ]This requires group leadership skills, as well as the ability to maintain a singular focus even in the stressful and fast-paced environment of a movie set. [ 6 ] Additionally, an artistic eye is required to frame shots and give precise directions to the cast and crew, [ 7 ] therefore having excellent communication skills is a must. [ 8 ]
Since the film director depends on the successful cooperation of many creative individuals with different ideals and possibly contradictory artistic views, he also needs to have conflict resolution skills to mediate whenever necessary. [ 9 ] The director ensures that everyone involved in the film production works to achieve an identical vision of the complete film. [ 4 ] The set of different challenges he has to face has been described as "a multidimensional puzzle with different egos to complete." [ 10 ]It adds to the pressure that the success of a movie can influence when and how they will work again. [ 11 ] The limits of the budget of the films are also omnipresent. [ 12 ] Additionally, the director may have to ensure that the film receives a certain age rating . [ 13 ] In theory, the only superior of a director is the study financed the film, [ 1 ] [ 14 ] However, a bad professional relationship between a filmmaker and an actor could result in the replacement of the director if the actor is amovie star . [ 15 ] Even so, it is not in doubt that the director spends the most time on a project, considering that it is one of the few positions that requires intimate participation during each stage of film production. Therefore, the position of a film director is widely regarded as very stressful and demanding. [ 16 ] It has been said that "20-hour workdays are not unusual." [ 1 ]
Under the laws of the European Union , the director of the film is considered the "author" or one of the authors of a film, largely as a result of the influence of author theory . [ 17 ] Author theory is a concept of film criticism since it holds that a filmmaker's film reflects the director's personal creative vision, as if he were the main author (in French , auteur ). [ 18 ]Even though the film's production is part of an industrial process, and sometimes because of it, the author's creative voice is clear enough to shine through the interference of the studio and the collective process.
- Portal: Cinema . Content related to Cinema .
- Alan Smithee (pseudonym for anonymous directors)
- Film production
- Author theory
- Annex: Film directors with the highest grossing
- "TV or film director" . National Careers Service . United Kingdom : British Government. April 16, 2017. Archived from the original on July 30, 2017 . Retrieved May 10, 2017 . and redundant ( help )
- "Employment Film Director" . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- "Career snapshot" . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- «They must work with producers, writers, cast members, crew members, designers and other professionals in order to implement that vision». Consultado el 17 de abril de 2018.
- "A film director needs ..." . Archived from the original on May 9, 2013 . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- "Film Director Career" . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- "Job Profile" . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- McRae, Alex (1 de junio de 2006). «You have to be a diplomat. You have to marshal a whole load of creative people, who often don't get on with each other, and your job is to stop things turning into a bun-fight.». The Independent (London). Consultado el 17 de abril de 2018.
- "What is a Director?" . Archived from the original on January 17, 2013 . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- «directors work under a lot of pressure, and most are under constant stress to find their next job.». Consultado el 17 de abril de 2018.
- «The director is bound by financial conditions, which however should not hinder him from developing his own artistic signature.». Archivado desde el original el 10 de mayo de 2013. Consultado el 17 de abril de 2018.
- Hornaday, Ann (16 de mayo de 1993). «Realizing that an NC-17 rating could hurt business (some theaters and newspapers won't show or advertise NC-17 movies), Mr. Verhoeven cut 47 seconds of the most graphic sex and violence». The New York Times. Consultado el 17 de abril de 2018.
- "Career as a film director" . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- Brennan, Judy (March 13, 1997). "The Fight Over 'Broadway Brawler ' " . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- "Princeton review" . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- Pascal Kamina (2002). Film Copyright in the European Union. Cambridge University Press. p. 153. ISBN 978-1-139-43338-9.
- «auteur theory | Definition & Directors » . Encyclopedia Britannica (in English) . Retrieved April 17, 2018 .
- Great dictionary of film directors, with more than 2000 biographical portals The Power of the Word