Dorothea Gelker grew up in Münster and from 1976 studied at the "Institute for Art Education, Münster Department" at the Düsseldorf Art Academy . After two compulsory trial semesters in the orientation area with Bernd Minnich with a subsequent intermediate examination, she studied sculpture with Ernst Hermanns , and from 1979 painting in the class of Hermann-Josef Kuhna . From 1976 to 1982, at the University of Münster , she studied pedagogy alongside her art studies, along with educational sciences and philosophy.
In 1982 Gelker was made a master class student and worked in the Kuhna class for another year. 1983 to 1985 followed in Recklinghausen a traineeship for teaching positions SEK I and SEK II in the subjects of art and education.
In 1985 she moved to Düsseldorf and - after an initial six-week stay in New York City - found her main artistic theme "urban architecture". Further stays in the USA followed. In 1990 Gelker decided to paint professionally.
Dorothea Gelker has lived and worked in a subsidized residential studio in the listed Salzmannbau in Düsseldorf-Bilk since 1995 and exhibits regularly. Since 2002 she has been a program artist at Galerie Cerny + Partner, Wiesbaden and Galerie Jutta Kabuth, Gelsenkirchen.
Informal traces of paint in an intuitive interplay with a careful choice of colors and strictly geometric construction - the reduction of traditional vanishing point perspective to the mathematical right angle - shape her way of working to this day. Manfred Schneckenburger wrote on the occasion of the Kuhna-Meisterschüler exhibition in 2004 in the WGZ-Bank: “The most important means of creating spatial depth is, as with the three-stripe scheme of the early baroque Dutch, the color perspective” [...] “In the detail, a loose one counters Handwriting the geometric grid: washouts, streaks, drops break away from the strict functionalism of the construction ”. 
- 1985: Large art exhibition NRW Düsseldorf 1985 (G). Catalog: Fig. Without page number (without ISSN)
- 1990: Museum of the Waldshut District, Bonndorf Castle (E)
- 2001: Large art exhibition NRW Düsseldorf 2001 (G). Catalog: Fig. 55;
- 2004: art Karlsruhe , Gallery Cerny + Partner, Stand E36, Wiesbaden, One-Man-Show: Dorothea Gelker (E). Catalog: p. 78, ill. P. 79; ISBN 3-937295-10-0
- 2005: Large art exhibition NRW Düsseldorf 2005 (G). Catalog: Fig. 104;
- 2008: "City Landscapes", Robert Koepke House, Schieder-Schwalenberg (E)
- 2012: "Here and now - current art in Hamm and in the Westphalia region", Gustav-Lübcke-Museum , Hamm (G)
- 2014: "From here to now, 20 years of artist studios in Salzmannbau", Kunstraum Düsseldorf (G) 
- 2015: "NYC", Jutta Kabuth Gallery, Gelsenkirchen (E) 
- 2017: "Space 42nd Düsseldorf Positions", Robert-Koepke-Haus, Schieder-Schwalenberg (G) 
- 2017: "Insight - Outsight", Dorothea Gelker and Dorothea Schüle, Galerie Diede / Stadtgalerie Ahrweiler, Weißer Turm - Bad Neuenahr, Ahrweiler, March 5 to April 2, 2017 
- 2017: "In the rhythm of colors", Hermann-Josef Kuhna, Dorothea Gelker and Hugo Boguslawski, Galerie Anette Müller, Düsseldorf  
- 2018: "Here and now - current art in Hamm and the Westphalia region", Gustav-Lübcke-Museum, Hamm (G)
- 2019: art Karlsruhe, Gallery Cerny + Partner, Wiesbaden, booth no. H3 / J19, pp. 158/159; ISBN 978-3-00-061734-8 
- 2019: "Sharp Edges in Sculpture and Paintings", Dorothea Gelker and Clemens Weiss, Galerie Jutta Kabuth, Gelsenkirchen 
- Collection in the Willy Brandt House , Berlin
- Permanent collection of the State Museum Buca, Tivat / Montenegro
- Art collection WGZ-Bank, Düsseldorf
- Large art exhibition NRW Düsseldorf 1985. Fig. Without number (without ISSN)
- Large art exhibition Düsseldorf NRW 2001. Fig. 55.
- Large art exhibition Düsseldorf NRW 2005. Fig. 104.
- Museum and Gallery Ljetnjikovka Buca - Ludovic Düsseldorf Tivat Art Collection. Donation, O. J., Abb. 12, S. 15, Vita S. 73. (without ISBN)
- Manfred Schneckenburger, Dorothea Gelker: Filigree Manhattan. In: WGZ-Bank Westdeutsche Genossenschaftszentralbank eG, Düsseldorf (Ed.): Great! Painting by master students of the Kuhna class / Art Academy Münster. Düsseldorf 2004, p. 20. (without ISBN)
- Th. Hirsch: Gelker, Dorothea, German painter. In: Allgemeine Künstlerlexikon (AKL), The visual artists of all times and peoples, Vol. 51, Geeslin - Geranzani. KG Saur Verlag, Munich / Leipzig 2006, ISBN 978-3-598-22791-2 , p. 203.
- Helmut Ebert: Gelker, Dorothea. In: Helmut Ebert: Lexicon of the visual and creative artists in Westphalia-Lippe. Aschendorff Verlag, Münster 2001, ISBN 3-402-05458-2 , p. 174.
- WGZ Bank art collection. Düsseldorf, undated (2006), ISBN 978-3-00-020197-4 , pp. 140, 141, 233.
- Ulrike Fuchs: Structures of a City - City Landscapes by Dorothea Gelker. In: ARTPROFIL, magazine for contemporary art. 12th year, issue 2, light and shadow in painting - Rembrandt, Caravaggio and the present. 2006, pp. 42 and 43. , PVSt. E 48757
- Website by Dorothea Gelker
- Jutta Kabuth Gallery, Gelsenkirchen
- Gallery Cerny + Partner, Wiesbaden
- Dorothea Gelker at Artnet
- Dorothea Gelker at the Association of Düsseldorf Artists
- Manfred Schneckenburger: Dorothea Gelker: Filigree Manhattan. In: class! Painting by master students of the Kuhna class / Art Academy Münster. Düsseldorf 2004, p. 20.
- From here to now, 20 years of artist studios in the Salzmannbau, Kunstraum Düsseldorf
- NYC, Gallery Jutta Kabuth, Gelsenkirchen
- Note and images on the website of Galerie Diede
- In the rhythm of colors, Hermann-Josef Kuhna, Dorothea Gelker and Hugo Boguslawski, Galerie Anette Müller, Düsseldorf, 10.06. - 07/22/2017
- A play of colors in art Delights Düsseldorf
- A breath of New York blows through the Galerie Kabuth, Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung, 26.09.2019
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German, contemporary painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Altenberge|