Dyckerhoff GmbH |
|legal form||Company with limited liability|
|founding||4. June 1864|
|Seat||Mainz-Amöneburg / Wiesbaden , Germany|
|Number of employees||6.808 (2012)|
|sales||1.6 billion EUR (2012)|
The Dyckerhoff GmbH is a formerly listed cement - and building materials manufacturer based in Wiesbaden and today is a 100 -% - subsidiary of the Italian Buzzi Unicem . The company is not to be confused with the former Dyckerhoff & Widmann AG (Dywidag) based in Munich .
Foundation and early years
Wilhelm Gustav Dyckerhoff founded the Portland cement factory Dyckerhoff & Sons together with his sons Gustav and Rudolf in Amöneburg on June 4, 1864 . This was preceded by the foundation of the "Dyckerhoff & Brentano" cement works in Hattenheim in the Rheingau on June 1, 1861Then, due to a lack of efficient operating results, the first ring furnace was set up in Amöneburg in the spring of 1863 by this forerunner company. As losses continued to be generated, Dyckerhoff terminated the contract with Carl Brentano in 1864 and instead brought his sons Gustav into the company as commercial manager and Rudolf as technical manager. Just five years later, around 100 workers were employed in the constantly expanding company; in 1883 the number of employees had increased to approx. 500 increased. From 1870 the company operated the Dyckerhoffbruch limestone quarry . The company has received national and international awards for its tiered products.  For the foundation of the New Yorkers inaugurated in 1886 Dyckerhoff contributed eight thousand barrels of Portland cement to the Statue of Liberty in 1884 , which corresponds to 1,360 tons. The rest of the cement used came from the USA.
In 1909 the first rotary kilns were put into operation in the Amöneburg cement factory, which brought about a further increase in production compared to the previous ring kilns. In 1911 the name was changed to Dyckerhoff & Söhne GmbH and in 1913 cement production exceeded all previous results with 400,000 tons. In 1921, with the establishment of NV Dyckerhoff's Cement Handelsmaatschappij as a sales company in the Netherlands, an important foundation stone was laid for future international corporate policy. In 1922/23 the owners had the Hesslerhof in Amöneburg built according to plans by Paul Korff .
Between 1925 and 1928, the Mainz Cathedral , which was in danger of collapsing, was rescued with around 10,000 cubic meters of concrete from the cement product "Dyckerhoff double", and in 1928 the Montevideo stadium was built using the same material. In 1931, the company merged with Wicking 's Portland-Cement and Wasserkalkwerke AG , which was about to go bankrupt, to form Portland-Zementwerke Dyckerhoff-Wicking AG , which initially led to considerable financial difficulties, but paid off in the long term.
Walter Dyckerhoff was the inventor of white cement , which was introduced in 1931 under the brand name "Dyckerhoff White" and is still used beyond the borders of Germany as a synonym for white Portland cement .
After a drop in sales of over 20 percent in 1932 and the associated financial losses, a number of the plants in Westphalia that were taken over by Wicking were initially shut down, and production at the main plant in Amöneburg even stopped the following winter. In the course of the restructuring of the company, Dyckerhoff-Wicking-Kalkwerke GmbH was founded and spun off in Münster in Westphalia in 1934 , the capital was reallocated and the National Socialist job creation measures, especially in road construction, were implemented. In 1936 the company, which had meanwhile been profitable again, was renamed Dyckerhoff Portland-Zementwerke AGrenamed. Highway construction, the development of a process of alumina hydrate from boiler slag, which was important for aluminum production and thus also for aircraft construction ("Dyckerhoff-Séailles process"), the employment of forced labor and prisoners of war during World War II and other measures helped the company to grow, which was put to an end by bombing raids on important Westphalian plants in March 1944 and on the main plant in Amöneburg in September 1944.
Time from 1945
The previous technical director of the company, Walter Dyckerhoff, emigrated to Switzerland and then to Argentina after the war; Further personnel consequences were drawn in 1945 and management was transferred to younger members of the Dyckerhoff family or relatives who were married in.
In 1956 the name was changed to Dyckerhoff Zementwerke AG . At the end of the 1950s, the company also entered the ready-mixed concrete business. The company operated, among other things, the Bonn cement works : As early as 1928/29, Dyckerhoff had secured a blocking minority in the Bonner Bergwerks- und Hütten-Verein , founded in 1853, by purchasing shares . Its cement plant near Oberkassel was finally demolished in 1988. In 1963, Dyckerhoff opened its branch in Göllheim in the Palatinate and thus had the headquarters in Amöneburg, the Westphalian plants in Lengerich and Mark and the Neuwied plant that came into operation in 1930 from the "legacy" of the merger with Wicking across several major German cement production sites.
Dyckerhoff Zementwerke AG subsequently acquired influence on the building materials and paint trade through numerous investments. In 1971 the group's sales in the cement sector alone reached a margin of 10 million tons. Participations in other cement works, the start-up of the new large works in Neubeckum in 1972 , participation in Luxembourg and French companies followed quickly one after the other.
After a brief recession in 1975, the company continued its successful course, and in 1980 it also opened its first subsidiary in the USA. The company was given its current name Dyckerhoff AG and a new logo (see picture on the right) in 1985. In the same year, among others, Dyckerhoff Sopro GmbH and "Dytec Beteiligungs-Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH" were named "ispo GmbH", "Eduard Dyckerhoff GmbH "and other companies holding company founded. With this step, Dyckerhoff AG united large parts of the German fine mortar activities in one company.
From the end of the 1980s Dyckerhoff continuously increased its international efforts, including in 1988 with the acquisition of the Glen Falls cement plant in the USA, in 1994 with the takeover of "Sucholoschzement" east of Yekaterinburg in Russia, and in 1997 with the acquisition of a majority stake in "Cement Hranice as "in the Czech Republic and in 1999 the purchase of the American" Lone Star Industries ". In addition, on January 1, 1991, the Deuna Zement GmbH cement works founded in 1975 in the former GDR was taken over. As of 2008, the company was mainly present in Germany and the USA, Luxembourg, the Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine and Russia.
A subsidiary, "Dyckerhoff Engineering GmbH", has been advising foreign governments and investors for decades and has played a key role in the development of cement industries, especially in Africa and Asia, with the planning of factories e.g. B. Involved in Indonesia, Pakistan and China.
Takeover by Buzzi
The Italian company Buzzi Unicem took over around one third of the Dyckerhoff ordinary shares and over 4% of the preference shares in 2001 , and increased its stake to over 96% of the ordinary shares and 80% of the preference shares by 2007. In 2004 the Dyckerhoff US activities merged with RC Cement from Buzzi Unicem. Dyckerhoff held a 48.5% stake in the new company RC Lonestar and Buzzi Unicem 51.5%. In addition, the company was because of its involvement in the cement cartelinitially sentenced to a fine of 95 million euros. The final verdict was announced in June 2009: The fine for Dyckerhoff was reduced to 50 million euros due to the cooperative support provided to clarify the facts. 
In 2007 Dyckerhoff founded the new company "Dyckerhoff Basal Nederland BV" (concrete and aggregates ) in the Netherlands . In 2008 the new logo was introduced for Dyckerhoff AG and all group companies. In the years 2008 to 2010 a number of large investment projects took place in the USA (new kiln line in the River plant ), in Luxembourg (new grinding plant in the Esch plant ), in Russia (new kiln line in the Suchoi Log plant) and in Ukraine(Coal mills in the YUG and Volyn cement works). In the summer of 2010, Dyckerhoff and the Sievert Group reorganized their partnership: Dyckerhoff took over a large part of the ready-mixed concrete division of the Sievert Group with 30 production sites. Sievert took over the construction chemicals and logistics divisions. At the end of the year, the new furnace 5 at the Suchoi Log plant in Russia went into operation, which was partly built with plant parts from the entire group that were no longer used. In contrast to the already existing production lines, it works with the modern and energy-saving drying process. With the new kiln line, the capacity at the Russian Dyckerhoff plant Suchoi Log increased from 2.4 million t to 3.6 million t.
In August 2013, the shares of the remaining free shareholders were taken over by means of a squeeze-out process; Since then, Buzzi has held 100% of the capital. Dyckerhoff AG ceased trading in shares at the end of August 2013 and the company was converted into a GmbH at the end of March 2014.
The archive of Dyckerhoff AG has been in the Wiesbaden city archive since 2008.
The group operates cement and grinding plants in Mainz-Amöneburg , Geseke , Göllheim , Lengerich , Neuss and Neuwied . The group includes Deuna Zement GmbH, as well as internationally CIMALUX SA ( Luxembourg ), Cement Hranice as ( Czech Republic ), Dyckerhoff Polska Sp.z oo ( Poland ), PAT YUGcement and PAT Volyn ( Ukraine ), OAO Sukholozhskcement ( Russia ) and seven RC Lonestar works in the USA ( Cape Girardeau , Chattanooga , River ,Greencastle, Maryneal, Pryor und Stockertown).
The plant in Neubeckum was initially converted to campaign operation at the end of 2002 as a result of the poor market situation. At the end of 2006, production there was completely stopped.
Dyckerhoff operates a total of 265 ready-mixed concrete plants in six countries, including over 130 in Germany , 15 in the Netherlands , 3 in Luxembourg , 29 in Poland , 61 in the Czech Republic , 18 in Slovakia and six locations in Ukraine . (Status: end of 2013)
The turnover in the 2012 financial year was around 1.6 billion euros.
In 2012, around 5.0 million tons of cement and around 4.0 million cubic meters of ready-mix concrete were sold in Germany. Across the group, it was 15.5 million tons of cement and 7.3 million cubic meters of ready-mixed concrete.
|year||Sales in billions of euros|
- Website of Dyckerhoff GmbH
- Literature on Dyckerhoff in the Hessian Bibliography
- Wiesbadener Tagblatt from May 5, 2010: Foundation for the Statue of Liberty Wilhelm Gustav Dyckerhoff. The Portland Cement Factory. Articles about the company's history
- Early documents and newspaper articles on Dyckerhoff in the 20th century press kit of the ZBW - Leibniz Information Center for Economics .
- Advertisement Portland-Cement-Fabrik Dyckerhoff & Söhne , Annex to the Centralblatt der Bauverwaltung, January 7, 1882, p. 7, accessed on December 8, 2012
- Spiegel Online : Cartels. Cement manufacturers have to pay a fine of millions (June 29, 2009), last accessed on December 2, 2010
- Dyckerhoff increases sales in 2008 by 11% to almost EUR 2 billion Dow Jones