Ferrari 275F1 - Ferrari 275F1
|Predecessor:||Ferrari 125 F1|
|Motor:||60 ° -12-cylinder V-engine, 3322 cm³|
|Front suspension:||Double wishbones|
|Rear suspension:||De Dion axis|
|Driver:|| Luigi Villoresi |
|First start:||Belgian Grand Prix 1950|
|Last start:||Swiss Grand Prix 1950|
|World Cup points:||—|
|Leadership laps:||k. A. / tba|
The Ferrari 275F1 was the further development of the Ferrari 125 and was briefly used in the Formula 1 World Championship in 1950 . Aurelio Lampredi , a proponent of non-supercharged engines, developed new V-12 engines that were built into the 275F1, 340F1 and 375F1 types . In the 275F1, which still had a conventional chassis based on the old model, a tubular frame with longitudinal and cross members, the 3.3-liter engine ran, which achieved a maximum output of 280 hp (206 kW).
At first, the basic design of the engines of future Formula 1 Ferraris was still controversial. In the end, it was decided to abandon the compressor, which had caused some set-up problems and excessive fuel consumption on the 125 F1, and to develop a naturally aspirated engine that could also be used in sports and granturismo vehicles.
The Formula 1 regulation in force at that time provided for a maximum displacement of 4500 cm³ for naturally aspirated engines and 1500 cm³ for supercharged engines. Aurelio Lampredi opted for a 60 ° 12 cylinder V engine. The first step was an experimental 3300 cc engine type, which was first used on two modified 166 MM in the Mille Migliafrom 1950 came into use. The cars were driven by Alberto Ascari and Luigi Villoresi and had to be taken out of the race because of a destroyed gearbox that could not withstand the stress of the V12. The engine had one overhead camshaft per cylinder bank, 3 Weber carburettors and developed 300 hp (221 kW) at 7200 rpm. In this configuration it was installed in the 275 F1, which was soon replaced by the 340F1 with a V12 with 4100 cc, the intermediate stage to the 375F1 with the 4500 cc engine.
The car was also designed in a conventional manner: the transmission was interlocked with the engine, the front suspension was on double wishbones , the rear De-Dion axle , plus transverse leaf springs on both axles and Houdaille shock absorbers .
The 275F1 made its debut at the Belgian Grand Prix in 1950 with Alberto Ascari at the wheel, who finished fifth behind Fangio, Fagioli, Rosier and Farina. The car was obviously underpowered compared to the competition from Alfa Romeo . It was therefore only used for a short time. In tests for the French GP, it turned out to be unsuitable for the fast Reims track, which is why the Scuderia did not take part in the race.
The last appearance of the 275F1 was at the Grand Prix of Nations in Geneva, where the new 340F1 with a 4100 cc engine and a new chassis was added. Driven by Villoresi, the car retired in fifth place after a driving error.
- David Hodges: Racing cars from A to Z after 1945. Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart 1994, ISBN 3-613-01477-7 .
- Pino Casamassima: History of the Scuderia Ferrari. Nada Editore, Vimodrome 1998, ISBN 88-7911-179-5 .
- Leonardo Acerbi: 60 years of Ferrari. Heel, Königswinter 2007, ISBN 978-3-89880-815-6