During the Second World War, the civil airfield Husum-Narrenthal carried this name from the pre-war period and was used by the former air force. It was located about two kilometers north of the city center of Husum , partly in the Horstedter municipality.
The air base, which was later used by the Bundeswehr Air Force until 1993 during the Cold War, was built at a different location northeast of Husum. The southwestern part of the runway of this second Husum air base forms the origin of today's civilian airfield Husum-Schwesing . The air base was located in the border area of the communities Schwesing , Olderup and Immenstedt . The traffic connection of the air base from the direction of Husum took place via the federal road 200 and the well-developed connection road to the federal road 201 .
Husum Air Base in World War II
The history of the Wehrmacht air base goes back to the civil airfield Narrenthal near Husum. This was created before 1936 and connected North Friesland with Berlin. The airfield was taken over by the newly established Luftwaffe in 1937 . The facilities were demolished in 1946.
Husum Air Base during the Cold War
The later military airfield in Schwesing was created as a "dummy airfield" during the Second World War . It was repaired after the end of the war by the British Air Force of Occupation (BAFO) from 1947 and expanded into a complete air base. However, in contrast to other earlier Luftwaffe air bases, there was no stationing of airborne RAF units.
After the establishment of the Bundeswehr, the airfield was taken over by the Bundeswehr Air Force and thus the location of the "first", "North German" fighter-bomber squadron 35 . The official commissioning took place on October 16, 1959. In 1966 the squadron was renamed in the course of equipping it with the Fiat G.91 in Leichtes Kampfgeschwader 41 and finally continued as Jagdbombergeschwader 41 from 1980 when the association converted to the Alpha Jet .  The assigned the airbase barracks was the preferred direction city airbase barracks Husum .
The barracks area of the Wehrmacht air base was later used as an army barracks by the Bundeswehr. The Julius-Leber barracks still exist today. The former flight operations areas to the north are still largely undeveloped and serve as a training area.
After the dissolution of the fighter-bomber squadron in 1993, the southwestern part of the Bundeswehr air base was converted to civilian use. Today it is the location of the Husum-Schwesing airfield. The northeastern part, which is designated as a Bundeswehr property, is now used by the German Air Force as the base for anti-aircraft missile group 26 . This is part of the anti-aircraft missile squadron 1 .
- On February 12, 1969 crashed Douglas DC-3 / C-47B-30-DK of the Luftwaffe ( air vehicle registration 14 + 05) , which from the airport Westerland / Sylt on a calibration flight was traveling from. The machine crashed on the approach to Husum Air Base. All four crew members were killed. 
- jed: A new association for the young air force. In: Husumer Nachrichten. Schleswig-Holsteinischer Zeitungsverlag , October 26, 2009, accessed April 10, 2018 .
- Accident report DC-3 14 + 05 , Aviation Safety Network (English), accessed on January 26, 2019.