FloEFD is a software for the simulation of flows and thermal processes, which is based on the finite volume method .
In contrast to many other CFD programs ('Computational Fluid Dynamics'), Cartesian networks are used in FloEFD . Another important differentiator to many other CFD programs is the use of the immersed boundary method . A conventional CFD solver distinguishes between the space through which the fluid flows and solids in that both regions are networked separately and a cell is either fluid or solid. With the Immersed Boundary method implemented in FloEFD, however, a cell can consist of fluid, solid or both. In the simplest case, a Cartesian cell within the solid-fluid boundary consists of two control volumes (KV): a fluid-KV and a solid-KV. Through the use of so-called SmartCells TM a cell can consist of up to 20 control volumes. FloEFD automatically recognizes resulting flow spaces on the basis of the CAD data and takes them into account when creating the calculation models. This results in time savings when generating the network, in particular when simulating geometrically complex electronic systems. FloEFD is integrated into various CAD systems . The listed properties considerably facilitate the creation of the model and in particular the usually very complex networking process.
FloEFD has user interfaces in German, English, French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean.
The first version of the software was developed at the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology ( MIPT ) in the 1980s and was known as Aeroshape-3D  . In 1998 Nika GmbH from Germany took over the rights to the software and introduced the term EFD ('Engineering Fluid Dynamics'). This should underline that the primary target group are engineers or designers. Solid Works was the first CAD system in which this software was available under the name Flow Simulation  . In 2006 Nika was taken over by the English Flomerics Ltd,  which in 2008 was in turn bought by Mentor Graphics.  Finally, Siemens took over Anfang 2017 Mentor Graphics.
- Simulation of flows and thermal processes
- CAD integriert (Creo, NX, Catia, Solid Edge, Solid Works)
- Automatic detection of flow areas and solids
- Automatic meshing with Cartesian networks
- Finite-Volumen Solver
- Electronics cooling
- HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning)
- EDA Bridge
- Advanced - combustion modeling
- Advanced – Hyperschall
- Alphose Zingoni: Insights and Innovations in Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, Cape Town, South Africa, 5.–7. September 2016. CRC Press, 2016, ISBN 978-1-317-28062-0.
- Fabienne Salimi, Frederic Salim: A Systems Approach to Managing the Complexities of Process Industries. Elsevier, 2017, ISBN 978-0-12-804213-7.
- K.-S. Wang, Y. Wang, J. O. Strandhagen, T. Yu (Hrsg.): Advanced Manufacturing and Automation VII. 2018, ISBN 978-981-10-5767-0.
- NASA Tech Briefs 2008
- Design practice: FloEFD version with comprehensive functions for the simulation and analysis of electronics cooling, 2009
- Construction Practice: From CFD to EFD: Flow Calculation Made Easier, 2009
- Digitaleng.news: FloEFD for NX: Mentor Graphics’ Pitch for CAD-Integrated CFD, 2011
- Presseagentur.com: Mentor Graphics presents FloEFD for SolidEdge, a fully integrated frontloading CFD solution, 2016
- 3dsman.com: Electronics Cooling in FloEFD, 2016
- Engineering.com: Latest FloEFD Release Aims to Supercharge the Design Process, 2017
- Timm Krüger: Introduction to the immersed boundary method. (PDF) 2011, accessed December 15, 2017 .
- Boris Marovic, Mike Gruetzmacher: SmartCells™ – The Enabling Technology Behind Frontloading Simulation. Abgerufen am 15. Dezember 2017.
- Prith Banerjee, Viktor K. Prasanna, Bhabani P. Sinha: High Performance Computing - HiPC'99: 6th International Conference, Calcutta, India, December 17-20, 1999 Proceedings . Springer,, Mar. 2004, ISBN 3540466428 ( googlede ).
- SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation. Retrieved December 15, 2017 .
- Flomerics Group to acquire NIKA GmbH . ( reliableplant.com [accessed December 15, 2017]).
- Vogel Business Media: Mentor Graphics takes over Flomerics . ( vogel.de ).
- US software specialist: Siemens takes over Mentor Graphics . ( handelsblatt.com ).