Floragard - Floragard
Managing director: |
Ulrich von Glahn
|Number of employees||99|
|sales||EUR 67.06 million|
|As of December 31, 2018|
The Floragard Vertriebs-GmbH developed (formerly Torfstreuverband) and distributes since 1919, potting soils and substrates for amateur gardeners and horticultural production. The company exports to more than 85 countries worldwide. The assortment ranges from all-round potting soil to peat-free organic special soils to individually mixed substrates.
The company goes back to the foundation of the Torfstreuverband GmbH on May 21, 1919 in Berlin. Ten years later, in 1929, the “Floratorf” quality brand was created. The peat humus service was founded in 1934 to provide professional advice. After the end of the Second World War, the company moved to the raw materials home of Lower Saxony in 1946. To this day, the city of Oldenburg is the seat of the company's headquarters, which employs more than 75 people. In 1950, marketing began in other European countries for the first time. For hobby gardeners, potting soil has been available under the brand name "Floragard" since 1987.
The name change from the Torfstreuverband GmbH to the current company name Floragard Vertriebs-GmbH took place in 1991. In 1992, Floragard co-founded the nature conservation and information center in Goldenstedt. The move to the current location in Oldenburg Tweelbäke took place in 1996. In 2010, Floragard set a clear signal on the hobby market with the relaunch of the Floragard brand. In order to be present in some of the top-selling countries, a separate office was founded in Alsace in France in 1998 and a subsidiary in China in 2015.
Since it was founded, Floragard has been supported by over 20 independent partners in Germany and the Baltic States, most of whom are the owners of the raw material areas and production plants. The production orders are assigned centrally by Floragard to the shareholders, taking stock, production capacities and transport costs into account.
Until the beginning of the 1950s, only peat was offered without additional fertilizer. Floragard developed the first peat mixes that combined the benefits of peat and fertilizer. On this basis, numerous new products for professional horticulture and hobby gardeners were created.
- In order to expand sales of peat products, Floragard developed the so-called "Flora infant peat mud" in the 1930s, a forerunner of the diaper for dry bedding of babies
- In 1957, the peat litter association shot a commercial under the title “Great love for small gardens”. The main actress is Petra Schürmann ("Miss World 1956")
- The brand name "Floragard" is an artificial name that takes up the world of plants with "Flora" and the old German word for protection with "Gard"
- Floragard is one of the co-founders of the Goldenstedter Moor nature conservation center near Vechta
- Sphagnum Farming test areas from the shareholder Moorkultur Ramsloh with a total of more than 12 hectares, the largest contiguous Sphagnum farming area worldwide
- since 1982 exhibitor at the International Plant Fair in Essen (IPM)
- The Federal Association of German DIY, DIY and gardening stores (BHB) nominated Floragard for the 2010 customer service award
- Own central laboratory and 600 m² test greenhouse on the company premises
- Floragard trains in various commercial professions, including since 2019 as a merchant (m / f / d) in e-commerce
Floragard Vertriebs-GmbH is the sister company of Plantaflor Humus Vertriebs-GmbH based in Vechta .
On December 11, 2015, the subsidiary "Floragard Horticulture (Foshan) Co., Ltd." was founded in Foshan City, Guangdong Province in China. The office carried out its first sales activities in 2016 and looks after customers on site.
- Annual financial statements as of December 31, 2018 in the eBundesanzeiger