|Florence of Amesti|
|Birth name||Florencia Laura by Amesti Gacitúa|
April 6, 1925 |
Santiago , Chile
May 22, 2006 |
|Home||Santiago de Chile|
|Education||University of Chile|
|Educated in||University of Chile|
|Notable works||Collages and Drawings|
Life and work
He studied painting and drawing at the University of Chile . [ 1 ] He was part of Nemesio Antúnez's Taller 99 , an instance in which he was a participant during the founding period (1956-1958) [ 2 ] —with Delia del Carril , Roser Bru, Ricardo Yrarrázaval and Dinora Doudtchitzky— [ 3 ] And the period of Melchor Concha in the 1990s . [ 4 ]
He stood out from the 1960s along with other exponents of engraving such as Dinora Doudchitzky , Roser Bru and Dolores Walker . [ 5 ] According to the art critic Waldemar Sommer, in his work one can appreciate the "presence of unexpected figurative ingredients, from which a subtle, incisive irony emerged." [ 6 ]
- Exhibitions and awards
He participated in several solo and group exhibitions during his career, including the I, II, III and IV American Biennial of Engraving in Santiago (1964, 1966, 1968 and 1970 respectively), the exhibitions Exposición de Arte Contemporáneo (1968) and Homenaje al Triunfo del Pueblo (1970) at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Santiago , among other exhibitions in Chile, Latin America and the United States . [ 1 ] [ 7 ]
- Library of the National Museum of Fine Arts. Florence De Amesti (1925-2006) . Retrieved July 29, 2013 .
- Munita Zañartu, Rafael. taller99.cl, ed. "Foundational Period 1956 - 1958" . Archived from the original on December 18, 2014 . Retrieved July 30, 2013 .
- Frutos D., María Cecilia (May 27, 2006). "Etched in memory . " In El Mercurio, ed. Housing and decoration . Retrieved July 29, 2013 .
- Villegas Cortez, Gabriela. taller99.cl, ed. «Melchor Concha period. 1990 - to date » . Archived from the original on November 28, 2014 . Retrieved July 30, 2013 .
- Santa Cruz, Lucía (1978). Three essays on Chilean women: 18th-19th-20th centuries . University Editorial. p. 328.
- Sommer, Waldemar (March 17, 2002). «Exhibitions. Galería del Cerro, MNBA, Goethe Institut: De Amesti, Spaniards of Today » . In El Mercurio , ed. Arts and Letters . Retrieved July 29, 2013 .
- Valdés Urrutia, Cecilia (May 27, 2012). «In Alto Jahuel. Protagonists of the national engraving: Andean Museum revives the passages of the emblematic Workshop 99 » . In El Mercurio, ed. Arts and Letters . Retrieved July 29, 2013 .
- Altazor - National Arts Award (ed.). "Florence of Amesti - Collages and Drawings" . Visual Arts - Engraving and drawing . Archived from the original on August 31, 2011 . Retrieved July 31, 2013 .