Florian Wiegand - Florian Wiegand
Born in 1973 in Munich, Florian Wiegand studied cultural management at the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences as well as industrial music production at the Institute for Popular Music Research at the Humboldt University in Berlin. He took part in the Arts Management Program at De Montfort University in Leicester, UK and graduated in 2001 with a master’s degree in cultural management from Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA, USA). During his studies, Florian Wiegand gained professional experience at festivals and orchestras such as the Munich Philharmonic , the Berliner Festwochen , the Weimar art festival and the Young Euro Classic youth orchestra festival, the Salzburg Easter Festival and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra .
In 2001 Florian Wiegand started as assistant to the artistic director of the Dortmund Konzerthauswhich opened in 2002. The establishment of a choir academy and the development of the marketing department fell under his responsibility. He also made a contribution to artistic planning and budgeting as well as the development of sponsoring and fundraising projects for the concert hall. In 2005 he was appointed head of the artistic management office and concert planning. In addition to various subscription series, he and the artistic director developed a three-year artist residency program with Esa-Pekka Salonen, followed by Yannick Nézet-Seguin. He created small festivals called “Time Islands” with composers focusing on Bartók, Berg, Henze, Ligeti, Messiaen and Scriabin, and campaigned for new series like “Junge Wilde”, which present the future generation of great artists.
Wiegand has been the concert director of the Salzburg Festival since April 1, 2012 . He was appointed by Artistic Director Alexander Pereira , but will also act as Artistic Director of Markus Hinterhäuser (2017–2021). For the programming of the Ouverture spirituelle in 2016, he put the focus on the dialogue with Eastern Christians and set Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber's seldom performed Missa Salisburgensis in Salzburg Cathedral . 
- Klassik.com: Salzburg Festival: Florian Wiegand , accessed on July 13, 2016
- Christoph Lindenbauer ( APA ): Salzburg Festival: Florian Wiegand emerges from Pereira's shadow , quoted in the Tiroler Tageszeitung , January 1, 2015, accessed on March 5, 2020
- Ruhr Nachrichten : From the Dortmund Concert Hall to Salzburg , February 26, 2012, accessed on July 13, 2016
- ORF : Festival 2016 with opera world premiere , November 5, 2015, accessed on July 13, 2016.
- Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburg Biennale opens “listening and shop windows” , November 27, 2015, accessed on July 13, 2016.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German festival director, director of the Salzburg Biennale|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1973|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|