Eilenburg airfield - Flugplatz Eilenburg
|Height above MSL||100 m (328 ft)|
|Distance from the city center||
5 km northeast of Eilenburg, |
2.5 km east of Mörtitz
|Local transport||Bus routes 230, 231, 232|
1936–1945: Wehrmacht Air Force |
1959–1966: National People's Army
1966–1990: Ministry for State Security
|07/25||800 m × 39 m Concrete|
|10/28||600 m × 40 m Gras|
|17/35||600 m × 40 m Gras|
The Eilenburg airfield was an airfield near the small Saxon town of Eilenburg that was used in various ways throughout history . In the GDR, for example, it was used as a sports and military airfield . The NATO called him by the name of the nearby village Mörtitz . Since the area is in the small forest village of Rote Jahne , the airfield is often referred to by this name.
The airfield is located about 5 kilometers northeast of the city of Eilenburg , which in turn is about 25 kilometers northeast of Leipzig . Because of the schools there, the airfield can now be reached with the bus routes 230, 231, 232 from Vetter Verkehrsbetriebe .
Eilenburg airfield was opened in 1936 under the code name Maas . At first it served as a port of operations for the air force , especially for the B31 pilot school . Towards the end of the war, units of the imperial defense were on it . On April 7, 11 and 13, 1945, there were attacks by the American units on the airfield. After the end of the war, the area was initially not used for aviation purposes. In 1945 a refugee camp was built on the site. One of the residents was the Swiss chemist Roland Scholl , who - wounded by the Allied bombardment of Dresden - died here. The land was in the wake of land reformawarded to farmers, the airfield buildings were used as MTS .
From 1959, parts of the area were again used militarily by units of Military District III. From 1966 the airfield served the Ministry for State Security of the GDR as a training center for parachutists under the name Parachute Training Base (FAB) "Alfred Scholz" . The parachute sports club Dynamo Eilenburg had its headquarters here. After its dissolution, shortly after the end of the GDR, the parachute sports club Eilenburg e. V. in his place, who used the place as a training ground until it was closed. Previously, in the 1980s, an IL-14 of the National People's Army , which was used for anti-terrorist training, was stationed here. Until 1990 there was also one hereTransport aircraft chain of the liaison squadron 14 stationed, which consisted of Antonov An-2 . The airfield had two short-range radio beacons and eight prefabricated bunkers , which were distributed over the airfield area. The air storm regiment 40 also used Eilenburg for training purposes. The airfield callsign was JOURNAL . In the 1970s, the airfield was to be expanded to accommodate a combat helicopter squadron. According to a protocol of the National Defense Council :
"Important construction investment measures: Creation of the prerequisites for the deployment of the new helicopter squadrons 3 and 5 in the areas EILENBURG and BASEPOHL [...] New construction of airfields for the helicopter squadrons of the land forces in the areas EILENBURG and BASEPOHL"
After 1990 a training center for civil aviation was set up at Eilenburg airfield for a short time . The former barracks was used as the premises of the Eilenburg District Office until 1994 . Since 1997, the barracks have housed youth accommodation and school facilities. The runways and the hangar are cordoned off; A photovoltaic system with a capacity of six megawatts was installed on the site by the Juwi company .    
- Thomas Bussmann: Reinforced concrete, grass and railway lights - the airfields used by the GDR for military purposes . MediaScript, Cottbus, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-9814822-0-1 .
- Eilenburg Moertitz Airfield on the Military Airfield Directory (accessed on September 13, 2010)
- Rolf Schulze: Experiences of a Belgian foreign worker 1944/45 in Eilenburg - Part 2 in Der Sorbenturm , 2008, excerpt on the website of the publishing house for Heimat Eilenburg (accessed on September 13, 2010)
- Hidden and forbidden in the East on Sperrgebiet.eu (accessed on September 13, 2010)
- History ( Memento of the original from January 31, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on the website of the vocational school center Eilenburg (accessed on September 13, 2010)