|Height above MSL||555 m (1821 ft)|
|Distance from the city center||
3 km east of Mengen, |
5 km west of Herbertingen,
3 km northwest of Hohentengen
|road||B 32, B 311|
|Bahn||Railway line Ulm – Sigmaringen|
|operator||Airfield Mengen – Hohentengen GmbH|
|07/25||1566 m × 30 m Asphalt|
The airfield quantity Hohentengen ( ICAO code : EDTM ) also called Regio Airport quantities, is a civilian airfield in the district of approximately four kilometers southwest town of amounts in the district of Sigmaringen in Baden-Württemberg . It goes back to a military airfield of the Luftwaffe from 1939 and was rededicated as a civil airfield in 1978 . 
The Metropolitan Airport was used for military purposes from 1939 to 1978. In 1978 it was converted into a civil airfield. The Flugplatz Mengen-Hohentengen GmbH , which was the operator of the facility, was founded.
Military use in the Third Reich
The history of the Mengening Airfield begins in 1935 when the Reich Aviation Ministry began planning a military airfield at the current location. Officially, the airfield should only be called an "emergency landing site" in order to remain secret. At the beginning of 1939, construction was completed, although it initially looked as if plans were being abandoned in favor of an even larger landing site on the site of the nearby barracks in Sigmaringen . However, geological difficulties at the site there were the reason that in the end the construction was carried out in large quantities. At the beginning of the war , especially during the western campaign, however, did not start any machines from crowds, as at that time the airport received a concrete runway 1200 meters long and 80 meters wide. It was one of the first concrete runways on the territory of the German Empire. Originally, a heavy fighter squadron was to be stationed in large quantities . These plans changed in 1941 as the war progressed. The 116 Göppingen Aviation School trained young pilots here until the end of the war. From 1940 the prototyping department of the Friedrichshafen aircraft manufacturer von Dornier was also located in Mengen and carried out test flights here. Famous aircraft types such as the Dornier Do 217P and Do 335were tested at the Mengen airport, the Do 335 completed its maiden flight here . The first jet fighters also made stations in Mengen, the Me 262 and the Me 323 were seen at the airport in the 1940s.
Quantities airport was occupied by French troops on April 22, 1945. An airlift from Strasbourg to Crowds was set up. On May 8, 1945 General Jean de Lattre de Tassigny flew from Mengen to Berlin. The commander-in-chief of the 1st French Army there accepted the German declaration of surrender as the representative of France . The Second World War in Europe was over. At the beginning of June 1945, the civilians interned in Bad Wurzach Castle on the British Channel Island of Jersey were flown to the Hendon military airfield near London.
Military use in the post-war period
In the following years, the French armed forces used the Mengen-Hohentengen airfield primarily for transport tasks: A brigade with medium-sized Martin B-26 bombers was stationed here, but then withdrew to Senegal in 1947 . However, the airfield remained part of a permanent courier route of the French Air Force, which led from Paris via Strasbourg, Koblenz, Mengen back to Strasbourg and Paris and was operated with Ju52 planes. From July 1952, German flying groups were allowed to resume gliding operations for the first time under French supervision . On the part of NATO in the mid-1950s, the expansion became a forJet aircraft checked suitable aerodrome. The planned runway of 2,440 meters in length was not realized because of the 611 meter high mission mountain in the south of Mengen.
With the establishment of the Bundeswehr in 1955, the airfield also became important again for the German military: From 1957 to 1963, the air force trained its pilots in large numbers on Piper , Do 27 , Percival Pembroke , Noratlas and T-6 Harvard . From 1960 to 1966, part of the training of the Escadron Aerien 3/521 of the French air force took place in large quantities: In cooperation with soldiers of the US Army , the French were trained on the anti-aircraft missiles Nike-Ajax and later Nike Herculestrained. From 1960 to 1962, the Oberschwaben-Kaserne Mengen / Hohentengen barracks southeast of the air base were built after no accommodation had previously been available. Shortly after completion, however, the training of the T-6 pilots was relocated to the USA and the airfield lost its importance. For about 15 years, the facilities were only used for occasional military training flight operations with the Noratlas, helicopters and later the Transall , until it was finally rededicated to a civil airfield in 1978.
To strengthen the infrastructure in the district of Sigmaringen , which is classified as weak in terms of traffic , the district, some surrounding towns and communities, the Princely House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen , commercial enterprises and banking institutions in the region, as well as local aviation groups jointly founded the Flugplatz Mengen-Hohentengen GmbH in 1978 .
Gradually, the airfield facilities were expanded, a tower was built, as well as tank systems, night and approach lighting, and catering facilities in the area of the airfield. The runway was expanded to its current dimensions of 1566 × 30 meters. Since 2008 an airspace F (today "RMZ") has been set up. After the airfield was equipped and approved for instrument flight in March 2008 so that it can be reached even in poor visibility, it was given new runway lighting at the end of 2008. The state funded this measure with 133,750 euros, 50 percent of the total investment. State Secretary for Transport Rudolf Köberlein Stuttgart explained the importance of securing flight operations and the accessibility of the airfield in order to strengthen the entire economic area. 
With around 29,000 aircraft movements per year, the Mengen-Hohentengen airfield is one of the largest airfields in Baden-Württemberg. There are currently 15 hangars on the site and up to 100 aircraft are stationed. Bundeswehr units are often guests during exercises. 
In 2009 and 2019, the Open German Helicopter Championships took place at the Regio-Airport-Mengen . In 2019, the 61st Southwest German sightseeing flight also started from the Regio-Airport.
In November 2010, the state sponsored instrument flight (IFR) at the airfield with another grant. For the introduction of instrument flight, the airfield had to be equipped with meteorological systems, new tower technology, new lighting for the runway and taxiway. In addition, the airfield was fenced off for security reasons.  As early as 2007, the state approved a grant of 251,000 euros for these measures. The additional grant was necessary because of the rate of price increases, an extension of the fence and a relocation of the noise protection wall. 
Six trained flight controllers / AFISO work in the tower, guaranteeing daily availability from 9 a.m. to 30 minutes after sunset ( SS + 30 ).  Early (from 05:30 local time) and late check-in (up to 22:00 local time) are possible on special request and prior registration. Customs clearance on site is possible for non-commercial and commercial occasional traffic .
Several companies from the field of aircraft construction and maintenance (Kondor Aviatik, UL) have settled on the site of the airfield . Among other things, Comco Ikarus , the largest German manufacturer of three-axis controlled ultralight aircraft , and several commercial flight schools have been based at the Regio Airport since 1992 , as have various flight service and charter companies.
Three groups of pilots, which are organized as non-profit associations, use the Regio-Airport. Founded in 1952 and established as an association since 1960, Fliegergruppe Mengen e. V. has an aircraft hangar, a clubhouse and airplanes with which it trains student pilots in the fields of microlight aircraft (formerly: gliders), motor gliders and motorized flight. In addition, the glider pilots of the Luftsportgruppe Ravensburg eV completed their flights from the aerodrome of Mengen-Hohentengen. The Luftsportgruppe Ravensburg hosted the German Open and 18-meter class championships on the airfield from July 25th to August 8th, 2009.  The Fliegergruppe Federsee eV is also an enthusiastic aviation community that has found a new aviation home at Regio-Airport-Mengen after moving out of a nature reserve.
There is a hotel and a restaurant with a sun terrace at the airfield.
The airfield is equipped with approach lights in the landing direction 25. It is approved for microlight aircraft, gliders, motor gliders, helicopters up to 6000 kg and aircraft up to 5700 kg, with PPR up to 14 tons. The runway is 1566 meters long and 30 meters wide. AvGas , JET A1 and Super Plus can be used as fuel .
The "Flugplatz Mengen-Hohentengen GmbH" founded on April 5, 1978 is a company with the aim of "sustainably promoting flight operations at the Mengen-Hohentengen airport within the framework of what is technically feasible and officially permitted". A total of 35 shareholders are represented in the company with a share capital of over EUR 900,000 . A good 16 percent of the share capital comes from the district of Sigmaringen, almost 12 percent from the participating municipalities and almost 72 percent from private investors. The managing director is Jörg Menge, chairwoman of the administrative board Stefanie Bürkle, district administrator from Sigmaringen .
- Massen-Hohentengen airfield. ›Gateway to the World‹ for the Sigmaringen district . P. 78. In: From Alno to Zollern - companies in the Sigmaringen district . Pp. 68-113. In: Dirk Gaerte (ed.), Edwin Ernst Weber (conception): The three-country circle Sigmaringen. A guide to nature, economy, history and culture . Meßkirch: Gmeiner Verlag, 2007; ISBN 978-3-89977-512-9 .
- Web presence of the airport Mengen-Hohentengen
- EDTM website
- Flugplatz Mengen-Hohentengen at airports.de
- -Hohentengen airfield. ›Gateway to the World‹ for the Sigmaringen district . P. 78. In: From Alno to Zollern - companies in the Sigmaringen district . Pp. 68-113. In: Dirk Gaerte (ed.), Edwin Ernst Weber (conception): The three-country circle Sigmaringen. A guide to nature, economy, history and culture . Meßkirch: Gmeiner Verlag, 2007; ISBN 978-3-89977-512-9
- Land gives money for airfield . In: Südkurier from November 19, 2008
- airfield. Sky opens over the county . In: Schwäbische Zeitung from May 15, 2009
- Karlheinz Fahlbusch / kf: 12,000 euros from the country for the airfield . In: Südkurier of November 24, 2010
- Funding. Land gives 12,000 euros for landing site . In: Schwäbische Zeitung of November 24, 2010
- Official website for the German Gliding Championship ( Memento of the original from August 4, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.