Flugplatz Obermehler-Schlotheim |
|Height above MSL||277 m (909 ft)|
|Distance from the city center||2.5 km northwest of Schlotheim|
|operator||Airport Obermehler GmbH|
|Motor and charter flight|
|11/29||1450 m × 30 m Asphalt|
The Obermehler-Schlotheim airfield is located near Schlotheim and Obermehler in the Unstrut-Hainich district in Thuringia . It emerged from a former Soviet military airfield in the 1990s . The flight operations areas were completely redesigned.
Use during the GDR era
In 1957, the construction of barracks and a military grass runway with taxiways about 2500 m in length began. From 1960 paratroopers and quarterly combat jets of the type MIG 15 and MIG 19 , and from 1966 attack helicopters were stationed. During this time, sightseeing flights with the AN2 of the east German Lufthansa took place.
In 1991 the Soviet armed forces were finally withdrawn.
Use after the turn
In 1997 the new airfield was officially opened. In the years that followed, a large apron was completed by simultaneously sealing the suspected contaminated sites and the first hangars were built.
There are now several flight schools and charter companies on the site.
The instructor exchange has been operating a driving technology system on the apron area of the airfield since 2007. Certified driving safety training courses for all classes are carried out here. The company also maintains an event hall and an off-road area at the airfield.
The metal festival Party.San has also been held at the airfield since 2011 . The BMW Syndicate Asphaltfieber, the largest meeting for BMW and MINI drivers in the world, has been held at the airport since 2004. In 2014 with over 10,000 visitors and more than 6500 vehicles. 
- BMW Syndicate Asphalt Fever 2014: White and blue anniversary party bigger than ever. BMW Syndicate, August 11, 2014, accessed February 28, 2020 .