|Height above MSL||123 m (404 ft)|
|Distance from the city center||2 km northwest of Pirna|
|Street||S177 , A17 Dresden-Prague|
|operator||Aeroclub Pirna e. В.|
|30/12||900 m × 40 m Gras|
The airfield Pirna is a German airfield at Pirna and is classified as a special airfield . It is located on the right bank of the Elbe approx. 2 km northwest of the city center of Pirna between the gravel and bathing lake Birkwitz and the S177 . It is located in the Pratzschwitz district within the village of Birkwitz-Pratzschwitz . There is a grass runway for powered flight, parallel to this a glider- winch take-off and landing track as well as a model flight area.
The beginnings of the airfield can be traced back to the formation of associations in the late 1920s. In 1928 the Pirnaer Anzeiger published a call for the Akaflieg Dresden (Academic Aviation Group of the Technical University of Dresden ) to form a flight club in the German Aviation Association. V.
The members built most of the aircraft and technical equipment themselves. The Zögling glider and a Popenhausen two-seater soon formed the aircraft park . Berthelsdorf near Neustadt and the Pirnaer Kohlberg were the first practice areas. The Pirnaer Verein took part in Rhön competitions. This annual glider flight meeting on the Wasserkuppe , a little wooded mountain in the middle of the Rhön southwest of the Thuringian Forest , was at that time the most important meeting place for German glider pilots. The outbreak of World War II brought all aviation activities in Germany to a standstill.
It was not until 1952 that aviation enthusiasts were able to get together again in Pirna to begin building model aircraft and gliders. A SG 38 school glider was used for flight operations . In 1953 it was badly damaged during an outland landing , so that no flight operations could take place until the glider was repaired in 1955. During this time, the Pirna glider pilots switched to other airfields such as Riesa-Göhlis and Klix airfield . The basic training took place on the Elbe meadows .
The first aircraft of its own was a Lommatzsch FES-530 teacher from the Lommatzsch apparatus construction company near Meißen . The VEB Entwicklungsbau Pirna was noted as the owner , which was unique for the time .
However, it did not have its own airfield. The first efforts were directed at former airfields such as at Kohlberg and Triebenberg. But worldwide there were so rapid and promising technical advances in gliding after the war that it seemed advisable to aim for at least 1200 m towing distance. Low land values drew attention to the current airfield in the municipality of Pratzschwitz . In 1958 the first take-off could take place on the new airfield. The final completion of the airfield took until around 1975.
At the beginning of the 1970s, gliders and powered pilots from the Technical University of Dresden were added. New, powerful gliders now also allowed long flights over Saxon Switzerland, Lusatia and the Ore Mountains. Competitions at district and republic level became an integral part of flying life. Unfortunately, this development came to an abrupt end in 1979. A change of leadership took place in the Society for Sport and Technology (GST), the sole sponsor of all sport aviation activities in the GDR. After a few escapes from the GDR with GST aircraft that took place at short intervals , a number of airfields , especially those close to the border, were closedand the sporting aspect of gliding took a back seat in favor of pre-military training.
Many glider pilots were given the choice of either giving up flying or relatives in the other part of Germany and decided in favor of their families. In the mid-80s, sport aviation was given more freedom again. It was not until 1990 that the turning point in the GDR allowed the aviation clubs that were founded to be independent of state influences and to return to sport and hobby aviation without political tutelage. In this year the Aeroclub Pirna e. V. The Aeroclub Pirna is now an association with around 170 members (as of 2016). A two-seater SZD-9 Bocian , a single-seater PZL Bielsko SZD-30 and three Club Astire Grob G 102s are available for glider trainingto disposal. There are also the two-seater Puchacz and TWIN 2 Grob G 103 , as well as the single-seater Schempp-Hirth Cirrus , Club Astir Grob G 102 and, since autumn 2015, an LS-7 for distance gliding . A Schleicher ASK 21 has also been available for aerobatics since 2014 . A Wilga is available as a tow plane. In addition, the Aeroclub Pirna is the owner of a C-Falcon and a Dimona . 
Location and transport links
Surroundings and overnight
In addition to the overnight and camping options on site, there are numerous hotels and pensions in the town of Pirna, which can be reached quickly by taxi.
Flight operations take place every weekend from April to October. In addition to gliding , motor gliders and motorized flights, model airplanes and paragliders are also used at the Pirna-Pratzschwitz airfield , as well as parachuting on special occasions such as the Pirna City Festival .
An ESW-2B electric winch with two plastic ropes and two steel ropes as well as a PZL-104 Wilga as a towing aircraft are available for starting . In the winch launch , towing heights of 400 to 500 m can be easily reached.
In addition, the aeroclub is in glider-1. Bundesliga represented. In 2015, the project "Durchmarsch" led to the promotion from the qualifying league to the 2nd Bundesliga glider flight . In 2016 the promotion to the glider-1. Bundesliga reached.
- history . Aeroclub Pirna e. V, accessed February 19, 2016.